• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mo Washington Admitted As Full Qualifier

huskerman1

Scout Team
10 Year Member
I really like this guy. A certain sportswriter likened him to a guy that used tom play here and wore #1.

I hope he makes grades.

I know that there are questions about his grades. My thought is that there is a reasonable chance that they are not an issue because HC Frost can't afford to have non qualifiers in this class and they offered him because there is only a small risk but a huge reward.

I know that there are questions about his grades. My thought is that there is a reasonable chance that they are not an issue because HC Frost can't afford to have non qualifiers in this class and they offered him because there is only a small risk but a huge reward.
Frost has done this at UCF as well, where he goes after recruits that other schools back off of due to academics. I wouldn’t say it’s a certainty due to class size, but there obviously some chance he qualifies.

This again is a reason you may see some turnover with our current compliance office.

Here's a recent article about Moses Bryant from Elkhorn who announced he is walking on. Sounds like he is was borderline too but they didn't take the chance on him not qualifying. The article reads like it was an administrative mistake between NU compliance dept. and Elkhorn. He claims he was told he had a scholly if he qualified. I guess Washington is a much bigger recruit so they are willing to take a chance on him. Plus, I don't know Washington's family's financial situation, but Bryants family can afford to pay for him to walk-on.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_76d167fa-a7bc-56d6-aea2-3818717db03f.html

Last edited:
Here's a recent article about Moses Bryant from Elkhorn who announced he is walking on. Sounds like he is was borderline too but they didn't take the chance on him not qualifying. The article reads like it was an administrative mistake between NU compliance dept. and Elkhorn. He claims he was told he had a scholly if he qualified. I guess Washington is a much bigger recruit so they are willing to take a chance on him. Plus, I don't know Washington's family's financial situation, but Bryants family can afford to pay for him to walk-on.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_76d167fa-a7bc-56d6-aea2-3818717db03f.html
I’m not sure this one is on compliance from what I’ve been told, but a very good article and a massive pickup for Nebraska.

I’m not sure this one is on compliance from what I’ve been told, but a very good article and a massive pickup for Nebraska.
I didn't re-read it, but I thought Bryant's mom said there was confusion about whether he need 16 or 17 core hours (courses?). They made sure he got 16 but it turned out he needed 17.

edit: Ok, now I re-read it. The article states:

"In October, Mike Riley told Bryant that he’d get a scholarship offer if he qualified. In December, Frost echoed the message, assuring Bryant that he’d watched his film several times.

Bryant took six core courses in the fall — no fluff — and recorded three As and three Bs. He thought it would be good enough. Instead, Moses’ core GPA was 0.15 short, according to Diana.

“We thought we were at 17 core classes where he could drop a D,” Diana said. “All they need is 16. But we were right at 16. I had talked to compliance in Lincoln about three times. I’m like, no, there’s 17. She said, no, there’s 16.”

Sound's like maybe his Mom counted wrong? Wow, big mistake.

Last edited:
I think it was Held who last visited Maurice's HS. His coach commented that Held went straight to the office, then found Washington and told him something to the effect of "you're good, you're going to graduate." Not a sure thing, but I think they are as confident as they can be in this type of situation and decided the reward outweighed the risk.

Frost has done this at UCF as well, where he goes after recruits that other schools back off of due to academics. I wouldn’t say it’s a certainty due to class size, but there obviously some chance he qualifies.

This again is a reason you may see some turnover with our current compliance office.
Benning made mention toward the academics side of the university pulling in the same direction as the football side and how it's still not completely synced up. Can you elaborate at all on that based on what you know?

I didn't re-read it, but I thought Bryant's mom said there was confusion about whether he need 16 or 17 core hours (courses?). They made sure he got 16 but it turned out he needed 17.

edit: Ok, now I re-read it. The article states:

"In October, Mike Riley told Bryant that he’d get a scholarship offer if he qualified. In December, Frost echoed the message, assuring Bryant that he’d watched his film several times.

Bryant took six core courses in the fall — no fluff — and recorded three As and three Bs. He thought it would be good enough. Instead, Moses’ core GPA was 0.15 short, according to Diana.

“We thought we were at 17 core classes where he could drop a D,” Diana said. “All they need is 16. But we were right at 16. I had talked to compliance in Lincoln about three times. I’m like, no, there’s 17. She said, no, there’s 16.”

Sound's like maybe his Mom counted wrong? Wow, big mistake.

I've taught/coached a kid or two who has had to move classes because they changed their verbal commitment from another DI school to Nebraska and were then told they need take another core class around signing day so had to change schedule around. If its as simple as improving that core GPA and getting one more core class in then that I would think he is plenty capable

I've taught/coached a kid or two who has had to move classes because they changed their verbal commitment from another DI school to Nebraska and were then told they need take another core class around signing day so had to change schedule around. If its as simple as improving that core GPA and getting one more core class in then that I would think he is plenty capable

Maybe, if there is more attrition before the signing deadline, they will give him the scholly if the academic stuff looks good.

Saw this from the article about Moses Bryant, "We thought we were at 17 core classes where he could drop a D,” Diana said. “All they need is 16. But we were right at 16. I had talked to compliance in Lincoln about three times. I’m like, no, there’s 17. She said, no, there’s 16.”

I'd hope there is some changes coming in the compliance office. What kind of knuckleheads do you guys have over there? Pretty sure this issue has come up a few times with the last few coaches over the last several years where kids/Husker coaches felt they would qualify only to have a problem come up from the compliance office.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back