1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Mo Barry likes new culture

Discussion in 'Football' started by solesrfr, Mar 12, 2018.

1. HuskerInTexas

HuskerInTexas Red Shirt 2 Year Member

FWIW, I'd much rather hear about people learning and developing during the offseason than people who are struggling. Seems like I might be in the minority on this topic here though. :rolleyes:

huskermike likes this.
  2. Captkenny

Captkenny Scout Team 10 Year Member

The difference i see between this year and last is that there is a coaching staff in place that has show the ability to take a train wreck and turn it around. In the past few years we had a head coach that had never achieved more than mediocrity and was very comfortable with that level of success.

We now have a proven winning staff who are not simply satisfied with off the field success. I don’t expect miracles and it may take a year or two to get where they want to go. But at least they understand what success is, what it feels like, and how to move a team in that direction.

djlhuskerfan, huskermike and Nemesis like this.
  3. joncarl

joncarl Nobody important 10 Year Member

I like the new culture too. And I would hope the players going into the new year are excited no matter who the coach is/was or we are starting off on the wrong foot and it is only down hill after that.

4. All 'N' 011808

All 'N' 011808 Former Walk-on 2 Year Member

Very true, we hear things like this every year. What has to happen now? Once you say it, do you truly believe it? If you truly believe it, do you do all you can to help change it? Once you change it, do you do all you can to keep getting better?

5. BigRedAvenger

BigRedAvenger Poster of Substance 2 Year Member

Many are correct in saying we hear this every offseason. For some reason I believe it this year :Corn2:

Porkchop, huskermike and Nemesis like this.
  6. Nemesis

Nemesis Frequently Upends Common Knowledge

Amazingly enough, some people believed it last year!

7. ksuhusker

ksuhusker In a tree somewhere 5 Year Member

Mo Barry just pushed 585# on squats, something he never thought he could do. Hopefully the new culture is starting to get moving in the right direction.

huskermike and AzHusker like this.
  8. TnHusker87

TnHusker87 Recruit

Well, JD Spielman did pretty well for himself last year (and coming off an injury IIRC) too. At times, he looked like a 'one-man show' on the offense. I expect more of the same this fall, perhaps even more production

If culture change translates into at least two more wins on games that 'Cornhuskers should win' and one more win on a '50-50' game, I would think most - not all - will be happy with that kind of progress. At least I will be satisfied.

CrabHusker likes this.
  9. AzHusker

AzHusker All Legend 10 Year Member

New personal bests start happening in several different areas, the players start paying attention to that growth

huskermike likes this.
  10. ksuhusker

ksuhusker In a tree somewhere 5 Year Member

Then start believing in themselves, it'll become a positive contagious effect.

huskermike, solesrfr and AzHusker like this.
  11. NewYorksker

NewYorksker Soothsayer 5 Year Member

That just doesn't look right :p

12. joncarl

joncarl Nobody important 10 Year Member

that would be me, but then again why go into a season thinking it is going to suck. Eternal optimist, I guess, or better yet, glass is half full. :Huskerflag:

13. solesrfr

solesrfr Travel Squad 5 Year Member

Yes, in regards to getting bigger, stronger, faster we do hear it every year but some of the things Mo is talking about are outside that scope. One big thing is the change in accountability, MR had a culture of players taking ownership of the team and doing the right thing on their own but that didn't work (see Nate for one example). Now the staff is policing accountability and giving players authority to better oversee themselves. When you listen closer it is not the same rinse and repeat about offseason workouts.

C

ksuhusker and huskermike like this.
  14. djlhuskerfan

djlhuskerfan Scout Team 10 Year Member

A big difference with this coaching staff is that they came all together. Not having to find new assistants is not something you normally see with coaching transitions. Thus I think it will be an easier task to install culture than in the past. Will there be a learning curve to overcome? Most definitely!

huskermike and silvercityHUSKER like this.
  15. Huskermonsta

Huskermonsta Red Shirt 2 Year Member

To much info, pal. :confused:
    :Biggrin:

Nemesis and solesrfr like this.