• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLS 2015

Well, got back from the game and have to say...............Jesus Mary and Joseph, the MLS better upgrade their refs or no one will take them seriously. I'll be the first to admit that I think, generally, they do OK. But there are a couple, like Jorge Gonzales, that need to be shown the door after this year. This is not the first time he's made an utter mess of a game, and I can promise you it won't be the last. He missed a "stick my arm out and deflect the ball down to me so it doesn't go to the opposing team" hand ball, in the box, literally 15 feet away from him in extra time. Just so happens, I was sitting pretty darn close to it. No one in the stadium, and that included every Dynamo player on the pitch and sideline, would have argued the hand ball with a straight face. It was awful. And to make matters worse, the replay I watched after the game was even worse than it appeared live. Missed call.........game outcome changed. The worst thing a ref can do. But he was so much worse than that. Both teams hate each other and he couldn't control the game with any sense of credibility from either fanbase's standpoint. How many "I'm giving you both yellow cards" can the guy give in one match because he either didn't see the play, or simply didn't want to hold someone accountable? I counted 3 double yellows and 2 more double fouls. Whatever the hell those are. Houston players flopping all over the place when SKC was taking control in the last 20 minutes. And that was preceded by SKC playing like thugs for the first 45 because they knew who was reffing the game.

That said, I have no voice. The family had a great time together at the game. All and all it was still a GREAT night, great weather.

I think it's time for season tickets next year.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article29951862.html

I was watching it on TV and couldn't believe there wasn't a PK given. Then the ref had the audacity to claim it hit the defender's hip. He should be relieved of his duties, because either he was too scared to make the correct call or to clueless. Neither are good. As to the dueling yellows, Dwyer plays in a way to get under the opponent's skin, but he in no way deserved a yellow. Maybe he went down too easy when the Houston keep nudged him, but he had every right to go for that ball (which came off a defender's foot and could just as easily been called a back pass). Houston keeper went a bit overboard.

Alot being said regarding Garber's note that the MLS is losing money.

I could go into 12 paragraphs on why that's completely incorrect and then counter it with 12 paragraphs why that statement is correct and fill the rest of a book on why both schools of thought are necessary right now and then write an addendum on how things need to proceed from here to continue MLS's meteoric trajectory.

Most NBA teams also claim to lose money. There are plenty of ways for sports organizations to cook their books and make things look worse financially then they really are.

NYCFC vs NYRB on right now.

The level of play on the pitch is waaaaaaaaaaaay above and beyond the MLS standard. If this is what adding aging European stars gets us. Count me in.

Last edited:
..........and unfortunately, I think SKC's dream season is probably coming to an end.

It started with the expectation of hopefully making the playoffs. Then Nemeth and Mustivar showed up and pushed expectations higher. Then Opara got hurt for the season and expectations tempered. The team regroups and is starting to really make headway. They became a counterattacking team and started winning, and winning well. Now? Espinoza realizes there's more of a problem with the leg he hurt taking a red card tackle. He is found to have a broken foot. There goes our box-to-box mid who disrupts better than most.

So, we are down an All-Star center back and a really darn good mid. We are up a surprising Nemeth and very surprising Mustivar. That's about a push or slightly negative. And now we're back to the original expectation of hoping backing into the playoffs.

I'll be rooting extra hard tomorrow at the game.

Last edited:

..........and unfortunately, I think SKC's dream season is probably coming to an end.

It started with the expectation of hopefully making the playoffs. Then Nemeth and Mustivar showed up and pushed expectations higher. Then Opara got hurt for the season and expectations tempered. The team regroups and is starting to really make headway. They became a counterattacking team and started winning, and winning well. Now? Espinoza realizes there's more of a problem with the leg he hurt taking a red card tackle. He is found to have a broken foot. There goes our box-to-box mid who disrupts better than most.

So, we are down an All-Star center back and a really darn good mid. We are up a surprising Nemeth and very surprising Mustivar. That's about a push or slightly negative. And now we're back to the original expectation of hoping backing into the playoffs.

I'll be rooting extra hard tomorrow at the game.

Are you worn out from all that late excitement? Unreal comeback from SKC.

That game was awesome. What a comeback. For some reason, even down 1-3, it never felt out of reach.

In a side note. Vancouver is not a contender and I don't care what their record says.

Last edited:
Read a couple articles opining that SKC is likely the best team in MLS right now.

Now listen, I love SKC. Love em. But, there's no way they are tops in the league right now. What they appear to have, is a very solid core and a great coach.

Vermes will have to play a different style than he feels comfortable, I'm afraid. SKC prides itself on superior defense. They can't play that way this year. Vancouver hammed that point down over the first 3/4th of the game. They have pretty solid attacking team and they can outscore opponents. But they don't have the depth to consistently field a team to excel with that style, so he reverts to what he knows. Expect SKC to fade over the next several games unless they find a why to shuffle lineups to keep the attack strong. It'll be hard because they need Benny, Nemeth and Dwyer playing together and they just can't all play every game. I guess that is the lot of MLS teams though. Depth becomes the main issue later in the season.

Last edited:
Read a couple articles opining that SKC is likely the best team in MLS right now.

Now listen, I love SKC. Love em. But, there's no way they are tops in the league right now. What they appear to have, is a very solid core and a great coach.

Vermes will have to play a different style than he feels comfortable, I'm afraid. SKC prides itself on superior defense. They can't play that way this year. Vancouver hammed that point down over the first 3/4th of the game. They have pretty solid attacking team and they can outscore opponents. But they don't have the depth to consistently field a team to excel with that style, so he reverts to what he knows. Expect SKC to fade over the next several games unless they find a why to shuffle lineups to keep the attack strong. It'll be hard because they need Benny, Nemeth and Dwyer playing together and they just can't all play every game. I guess that is the lot of MLS teams though. Depth becomes the main issue later in the season.

Those articles should have waited a couple of days to hit publication. What happened last night? I quit watching when it was 3-0 midway through the 1st half. Watched the Royals game instead and saw the score scroll across the bottom at 5-0. Didn't even bother to see what the final score was. SKC have played lots of big games over the past couple of weeks, but that was not a good home showing at all.

Those articles should have waited a couple of days to hit publication. What happened last night? I quit watching when it was 3-0 midway through the 1st half. Watched the Royals game instead and saw the score scroll across the bottom at 5-0. Didn't even bother to see what the final score was. SKC have played lots of big games over the past couple of weeks, but that was not a good home showing at all.

Well, what happened? Some of the worst defending and marking I've ever seen on a professional level. Ever.

I think we also see what happens when Espinoza and Mustivar aren't on the field in midfield. Espinoza is out for several weeks. Mustivar apparently needed a rest. SKC does not, let me repeat, does not have a serviceable Dmid outside of Mustivar. Ellis showed why he is complete unknown on a game-by-game basis. He sucked last night. I appreciate what he has sacrificed this year playing out of position. But every other game, he plays central back like a fullback, presses high, gets beat and doesn't have the space to recover. It puts everyone in a bad position. When Mustivar is playing, he gets protection, but not last night. He's situational awareness is poor. He'll double team someone while a free runner is floating right past him.

After the 2nd goal, the floodgates were open, they quit on themselves. And no one is to blame but the defending. Benny played, but......let's face it, he got some rest.

I suppose, if they were going to lose, might as well be against SJ as they didn't give points to a contender.

SKC 2 - 3 Columbus

Shameful again. Besler falls asleep and lets a man behind him for the first goal. The second goal is allowed despite 2 guys offsides by over a body length. The third goal a complete lack of any marking discipline after a touch.

Once again, SKC does enough to win a game and their pathetic back line kills them. Ellis' mistakes could have led to another two goals the Columbus couldn't put in net.

Sigh. It's not going to get better for SKC. They are not a contender with their defense. It kills me to say it, but there is no way this team can threaten with the man power they have playing in the back. The big issue with us SKC fans is the roster. They have somewhere (debatable) around 4M sitting around and are playing around minus 5 on their first team roster compared to the league average. That means they have minimal replacements. At a minimum they should have 5 more on their first team roster and working on preparing those extra 5 to play in the MLS. At a maximum, they could have signed a big time CB (DP) to replace Opara for the season. The difference is success this season vs. playing for the next season with Opara.

The issue is.....SKC probably didn't expect this offense. They didn't expect Nemeth to explode. They didn't expect Mustivar to play so well. So here we are, with 3 games in hand, sitting 5 points out of the Western conference lead. They lose again tonight. Now 2 game in hand. With some quality help in the defensive third, they would probably be the favorites in the West. Yet, we have 4M sitting idle and no depth. You have two hometown discounts playing for you and a couple of very good surprises on your roster and due to the front office, they are actually not a realistic threat to claim a title. It's hard to stomach when the competition is fortifying this talent. I understand the need play for years in the future and not sacrificing, but this is a terrible mismanagement during a year we could realistically contend. It is frustrating.

................and SKC loses their third in a row.

To Colorado.

Ugh.

What normally would have been an ugly day was made good by my two oldest winning their games. Have to pick your battles, I suppose.

Well. SKC is looking done. I'm not sure there's a whole ton of hope either. They all look dead tired. There's no way they can compete in the playoffs with Ellis at CB. Orlando, just like those before them, took advantage of him all night. Poor Besler, always the professional, could only look up and shake his head.

I suppose if Opara and Espinoza somehow recover in time to help them make the playoffs, there would be hope.

SKC sits in a tie for the 6th playoff spot. San Jose is just 2 back. I would expect Houston to make a push. They have Dallas coming up, and I can't imagine they'll get a result with how they've looked over the past month. At least they have a game in hand. Looks like Dwyer's red card was rescinded after the flop. That's why you don't let a home crowd dictate officiating.

NYCFC is a team who just can't play defense to save their lives. They have the tools elsewhere, but if you want a perfect example of why you build a team from the back four up, here's your proof.

Last edited:

Hey RR.....The door is probably ajar for RSL. Do they have enough to make a run at the playoffs in your estimation?

SKC - Dallas pregame starting on Unimas at 6pm for those who are interested. C'mon, you know you are. Can SKC stop their horrible form. How? Is their team as gassed as they have looked. Will Dallas press high knowing it? Can the young SKC FBs adjust? Can Vermes devise brilliant counters with young speed or will he play to the more veterans, allowing Zusi and DeJong to push and cross and cross and cross?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back