1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Misplaced Optimism

Discussion in 'Men's Basketball' started by Sofa King, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Diboy

Diboy Recruit 10 Year Member

I have been watching for so many years I should have known better than to get sucked in this season. I feel bad for Watson right now as it is obvious he is in his own head. Guy deserves better after four years.

A couple questions, points to discuss:

How do you get out a program out of the cellar when you never have been good? The ingredients are recruiting, coaching and culture, all have an impact on results.

Miles approach has been to use transfers, almost exclusively, to augment some marginal talent with upside. The upside, Copeland as an example, you get some quality guys that can play now. Downside is culture suffers. I think the transfers are truly team players, but they also have an agenda thinking they can get to the show. When push comes to shove and the chips are down they go to the individual game. I.E Petteway, Palmer Jr. etc. After seven years we are still in this cycle and not very good culturally. (From my outside view) Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Same poor results, the team fractures under adversity as they go to a 'me first' mentality. It just isn't working. We aren't an NBA feeder school so our transfers are just not able to push us over the hump.

The other approach is to blow up the foundation. (The Frost approach) Start with a coach that can actually in game coach. Get guys that maybe aren't as talented but will play a 'team first' game. I am now in the camp that to make the Husker men competitive the foundation needs to be rebuilt. Get a team first group of guys and develop them over 3-4 years. It will be painful, but look how the WI, IA, NW and those team's do it. They aren't great draws for top tier talent, they develop good players that peak in year 3-4 of their careers. Borchardt fits this mold. The guy comes in and simply competes. He doesn't worry about stats or his game, he just plays hard and shares the ball. I think Watson and Roby could have been this type of fit but not sure what happened in their development. That is on the coaching staff.

Hopefully they play with the energy of the last game (Purdue) the rest of the way and try and salvage something this season. At least they are fun to watch if they show some effort.

HuskerWeatherman likes this.
  2. All 'N' 011808

All 'N' 011808 Former Walk-on 2 Year Member

My son and I were optimistic, and it wasn't misplaced. When the season started, it was all in front of this team. All the goals were there for the taking. There are still games to be played, and we will do our best to remain optimistic while understanding the mental mountain that his team is going to be climbing the rest of the way.

3. Knight

Knight Red Shirt 15 Year Member

I definitely bought into the hype. But where we are at now is not what we should have expected. Those wins you explained away.... Every one of those teams is now about where they were expected to be preseason except Clemson. Every One. Well, except us. I think it was realistic to expect a top 5 finish in the conference and a win in the NCAA tourney. Season is a big disappointment but the original hype was justified.

4. Knight

Maybe Moos thought that if you were a volunteer for Miles it would be harder to hire you as the next MBB coach.

Jack Riggins likes this.
  5. Knight

There was NOBODY here in Dec. I tried... there was just no one

6. ColoREDo

ColoREDo REDo posts matter!!! 10 Year Member

[​IMG]

huskermike likes this.
  7. One Hit Wonder

One Hit Wonder Recruit

I started a thread on December 6th that has over 15,000 views and 9 pages of responses. Does that count as being "here in December"?

8. huskermike

huskermike Cyber Traveler 10 Year Member

I quit drinking the :Koolaid2: 2 seasons ago. After debating with ColoRedo, I decided to take a wait and see position. Still looks to me that we should have gotten rid of Miles then.

9. huskermike

huskermike Cyber Traveler 10 Year Member

Well then, I guess you can call me "NOBODY" seeing as I was posting here at that time.

10. Jack Riggins

Jack Riggins Stay Calm, and Carry On Husker Nation

:Cheers: This thought is really funny...I enjoyed it.:Cheers:

11. Jack Riggins

Hopefully they play with the energy of the last game (Purdue) the rest of the way and try and salvage something this season. At least they are fun to watch if they show some effort.[/QUOTE]

I agree it is amazing they haven't thrown in the towel, so with some energy we saw at Purdue we have a punchers chance. It is slim, but there is a chance if the energy stays up to go somewhere and do something. That dynamic will be what I am watching and even tho it hasn't got results it is impressive they still are fighting. Good on em. That is the Nebraska Way.

12. Jack Riggins

I think this is prolly a fair assessment, and is just part of major college sports. MY only interest is that Coaches and Players get the support they need regardless of WHO or WHAT it is. I unfortunately have seen that "lack of" since SE arrival. I will hope AD figures it out sooner than later, cause it does effect the product we see. The RED PHOENIX is a really good quote!

13. bilsker

bilsker Tom Osborne 15 Year Member

Miles is a poor basketball coach at this level. Period. End of story. The best that can be said of his tenure here is that he has landed a few talented transfers (nothing wrong with that...everyone has to play that market now) and that a couple of those transfers have gone batcrap crazy for a couple stretches. I'm talking about the 10 game run that got them in the dance in year 2 and...well, last year's Big 10 season was more than a "run"...but was it?

13-5 was a mirage. Yes, NU played well but the Big 10 was down and the schedule was favorable. As was mentioned previously the whole world outside of Nebraska took it for what it was...fortunate crumbling of the Big 10 scheduling cookie.

He is Doc Sadler with a twitter presence. He should have been let go two years ago after finishes of 12th, 11th and 12th. His saving grace was that Eichorst had no political capital to be firing anyone at the time.

Despite going 13-5 last year the guy in 49-70 in the Big 10. That is absolutely freaking awful.

Point being...he sucks as a coach and therefore nobody should have been all that surprised that this team fell flat on it's face.

14. HuskerWeatherman

HuskerWeatherman Husker Fan 15 Year Member

Though that tends to be the case with NU basketball fans every season. And probably most fan bases that are football before basketball.

Granted, it looks worse when the fans show up in droves out of nowhere to say "Miles sucks!" But other seasons, they show up in February when we pull off some big upset.

I confess, even I get burned out frequently in chatting Husker Hoops. 10-15 years ago, our little group here went on and on in this forum. Pretty much the same group for several years.

15. bilsker

bilsker Tom Osborne 15 Year Member

I miss huskerwirejay. lol