• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

McQuitty and Q. Alexander: MIA

He is no threat after the catch. Receivers in this offense need to be able to turn 4 yard receptions into 15+ yard plays. He will contribute to this team whether he plays or not...but if he is playing next year and beyond it will be because of multiple recruiting misses

So far he has caught about 4 stick routes. Which are not high YAC plays. I think it may be a little early to tell. Right now Spielman is the only one getting any meaningful YAC.

I guess my point is if McQuitty and Co want to get on the field than show that they deserve to be on the field.

Last edited:
I think this supports the ideas of an even playing field each week. We are nicked up at WR, but from the press conferences Kade Warner got his opportunity and made it happen in practice. Effort was rewarded and he earned his spot. he has played well enough not to give it back up to now.

Scholarships are given, but don't mean automatic spots on game days. Reimers, Woodyard, Mike Williams, Miles Jones and Mcquitty are all healthy but not getting time.

I personally like this and it will pay dividends now and in the future as we offer preferred walk ons to guys. if they see you can earn a spot, unlike in past years, they may be more inclined to come to Nebraska.
Sadly, at least so far...I think we've found out that the players you mentioned aren't very good in this offense.

Warner earning starts may send a message to scholarship guys and that made bode well down the road... But guys like Warner on the field will not get this team where it needs to be. They need more hits on the recruiting front to where guys like Warner or practice fodder. That may sound harsh but that's the reality
Guys like Warner may not have been hyped out of high school, but he has managed to beat out 4* prospects. He's done things right, earned time, and is a better player than the high school superstars. When did a walk on earning playing time become a bad thing to so many fans? We used to celebrate when guys like Jared Tomich, John Parrella, or Joel Makovicka found success as Huskers.

Guys like Warner may not have been hyped out of high school, but he has managed to beat out 4* prospects. He's done things right, earned time, and is a better player than the high school superstars. When did a walk on earning playing time become a bad thing to so many fans? We used to celebrate when guys like Jared Tomich, John Parrella, or Joel Makovicka found success as Huskers.
No doubt. Warner is the 2018 version of Brendan Holbien

He is no threat after the catch. Receivers in this offense need to be able to turn 4 yard receptions into 15+ yard plays. He will contribute to this team whether he plays or not...but if he is playing next year and beyond it will be because of multiple recruiting misses

I disagree. There are different needs for different types of receivers in different packages, and it's clear from what we've seen and from what every coach has said that Warner is getting it done. To stretch the field vertically, you either need an outside SE with burners or a slot receiver with wheels, but you also need at least one other guy run the crossing routes, stick, and sideline outs. A receiver with sure hands who runs excellent routes will find playing time in this offense, especially if he's smart enough to read coverages pre-snap, and he can block. Kade Warner checks every one of those boxes. Why not celebrate that he came on his own dime and has put in the work?

Steve Largent managed to catch a heck of a lot of passes without having a lot of speed.

It's a great thing for him. But I'm looking for nu to compete at the highest level. If that is going to eventually happen it wont ne with walk on wide receivers. I guarantee you that.

Yes...he beat out the competition. But that says more about the competition than his talent level. It's a perfectly lovely story. Really. But I can assure you...when we win the big 10 title we won't have any walk-ons starting at WR. That's all I'm saying.

It's a great thing for him. But I'm looking for nu to compete at the highest level. If that is going to eventually happen it wont ne with walk on wide receivers. I guarantee you that.

Yes...he beat out the competition. But that says more about the competition than his talent level. It's a perfectly lovely story. Really. But I can assure you...when we win the big 10 title we won't have any walk-ons starting at WR. That's all I'm saying.
Can we have any that start at OLB? RB? OL? Is it just WR that requires a 17 year old to have lots of stars?

Walters, I believe has mentioned McQuitty in his pressers as a guy making a move for playing time. Thought we might see him against NW, but didn’t happen.

Can we have any that start at OLB? RB? OL? Is it just WR that requires a 17 year old to have lots of stars?
OL..sure. ;) criste... you guys act like anyone who acknowledges truth (that we need more talent at that particular spot) hates walk ons. Quite the opposite. I love what they bring to the program on the macro level.

but yeah...show me the walk ons at wr for osu, Michigan and psu?

We'll eventually be fine there and I'm thankful that Kade can fill in until then. But there is no doubt Frost agrees with me...I just have the luxury of being able say it.

yes they were all walkons, but Tomich turned into an all american and parella and makovicka played at an all-conference level for their positions. if Warner was playing at the level of JD AND was a walk on that would be more of an apples to apples comparison. at the end of the day we need more than 2 or 3 players in our starting lineups playing at an all conference level whether they're walk ons or 5* recruits.

yes they were all walkons, but Tomich turned into an all american and parella and makovicka played at an all-conference level for their positions. if Warner was playing at the level of JD AND was a walk on that would be more of an apples to apples comparison. at the end of the day we need more than 2 or 3 players in our starting lineups playing at an all conference level whether they're walk ons or 5* recruits.

Tomich was not a walk-on he was a prop 48 guy. Had dyslexia that was basically not diagnosed until he got to Nebraska.

Warner earning starts may send a message to scholarship guys and that made bode well down the road... But guys like Warner on the field will not get this team where it needs to be. They need more hits on the recruiting front to where guys like Warner or practice fodder. That may sound harsh but that's the reality

Hunter Renfro and his NC ring wave hello.

OL..sure. ;) criste... you guys act like anyone who acknowledges truth (that we need more talent at that particular spot) hates walk ons. Quite the opposite. I love what they bring to the program on the macro level.

but yeah...show me the walk ons at wr for osu, Michigan and psu?

We'll eventually be fine there and I'm thankful that Kade can fill in until then. But there is no doubt Frost agrees with me...I just have the luxury of being able say it.

No problem, please see the post above.

You are welcome.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back