• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

McDermott meeting with OSU (Has been offered)

I tend to think if Creighton was still in the MVC, DM would be gone now or soon. But, the pull is much less as a member of the Big East.

Actually one could win a title at creighton. Absolutely it's more likely at OSU though. Jays were 19-1 and headed toward a 2 seed last year. Then....poof. not that they win it all but to say no chace isn't accurate.

I'd recommend listening to hisninterview with Bahe today. It shoild be required listening for anyone who has ever uttered the line "open up the checkbook". His line "if you're not missing something, what are you chasing?" Is something that people need tonconsider when they think someone like David Shaw would leave Stanford if Nebraska if they'd "just open up the checkbook. There is so much more to it.

Regarding competitiveness...dont read it as Mac is content. He just sees things differently than he did when he was 40. Hell...i do and I'm only 46.

Lastly you are completely guessimg on the "back in the mid majors" in 5 years. LITERALLY every husker fan said the same thing about Altman because of his stint at KSU. They seriously couldn't have been more wrong. Would Mac thrive or fail at OSU? Neither of us know. But i do know with 100% certainty that he's a better coach today than he was at the end at ISU. Not just winning more games...he is a better, more experienced basketball coach. Is he coach k? No.

I've seen Altman coach...a lot. McDermott isn't Altman, you know that. There's no doubt he's a better coach now than at Iowa State, but let's not kid ourselves, he was a bottom feeder coach in the Big 12. He had two NBA lotto picks and got blasted. He had talent and Doc Sadler wasn't even worried about him, even with low-major talent.

I disagree that a coach could win a title at Creighton. I know as a fan, it's easy to dream about, but this is reality.

Actually Bilsker, I was thinking about this in bed last night. You're right, I think any team in a good conference could win a title if the conditions were right. Even Nebraska, as crazy as that is to say. You get a good coach and find 2 NBA players, anything could happen.

I've seen Altman coach...a lot. McDermott isn't Altman, you know that. There's no doubt he's a better coach now than at Iowa State, but let's not kid ourselves, he was a bottom feeder coach in the Big 12. He had two NBA lotto picks and got blasted. He had talent and Doc Sadler wasn't even worried about him, even with low-major talent.

I disagree that a coach could win a title at Creighton. I know as a fan, it's easy to dream about, but this is reality.
Butler almost won a title...1 shot short. It can be done. Will it? Doubtful.

Actually Bilsker, I was thinking about this in bed last night. You're right, I think any team in a good conference could win a title if the conditions were right. Even Nebraska, as crazy as that is to say. You get a good coach and find 2 NBA players, anything could happen.
Agree...the stars have to line up. CU will never be 7' across the front line like UNC...but say a couple upsets happen to eliminate a couple truly terrible match ups, a guy like Foster catches fire in exactly the right couple games...etc. Like i said i dont believe it will happen but Butler was a rim out from 40' from a title. From an infastructure standpoint both Butler and CU are ahead of where butler was those two final 4 years.

Further....i dont disagree that if Mac's singular goal was a national title that he should have taken the job.

And OSU gets Holtman from Butler. If Mac leaves someday for a job like that i won't be pissed....unless he does it in mid june. That's unforgivable to me

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back