• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

McDermott meeting with OSU (Has been offered)

No Schadenfreude here, I wouldn't like to see McDermott go, for Creighton's sake.

As expected, tOSU fans strongly opposed/disappointed with the potential hire.
Smith is playing with fire. Someone on Sharp/Benning was saying that their first 2 choices were Sean Miller and Chris Mack. Those are longshots to begin with. Miller is at a basketball 1st school, making plenty of money, recruiting at the highest level and has nobody to blame but himself if/when he doesn't make noise in the dance. Mack is at his alma matre, recruiting very well, coming off a regional final appearance and has a really good team coming back. So under normal circumstances those would be tough gets. In June? Even tougher.

Why did he wait til June to fire Matta? Very dumb....he probably thinks "We're OSU...we can get whoever we want!" If he doesn't get one of his top 3-5 targets this will be a lesson for those that think "just open up the checkbook!" It simply does not work like that. From the outside it seems that someone like McDermott should jump on this (maybe he still will). Triple your salary at a school with more recruiting cache' than CU, CU isn't his alma matre, etc. Smith could end up with egg on his face on this one.

I digressed....the idea that OSU fans are so strongly opposed to Mac is probably not surprising. But, like Smith, they may be under the false illusion that they can just snap their fingers and take who they want. The fact of the matter is that Mac is a very good coach. He has flaws. I've pointed them out...I think he did a terrible job with the PG spot last year. And I'd like to see more emphasis on size and physical play at the 4 spot. But he did pull a top 20 class this year...to CREIGHTON. Big East or no, that's fairly impressive. To assume that because things didn't go well at ISU then he can never succeed at a place like OSU is not very intelligent. Nobody they get it likely to be a lock.

Last edited:
"I'm blessed and honored to be the coach at Creighton"

Until the next offer comes through

"I'm blessed and honored to be the coach at Creighton"

Until the next offer comes through

How many power conference, $3M/yr offers have to come through to convince you he's happy here? It's not like he was looking for a job. You can bet your backside that Miles would listen to a similar offer (although it will never come, unfortunately). If Mac was looking to leave he couldn't have asked for a better opportunity than Ohio State.

I am also glad he is staying. Miles needs to learn how to slay that dragon.

Had he cashed that paycheck, I think he would of been there for 5 years max then would have probably landed back at a mid-major. He fits in well at Creighton, it's a good basketball school, he seems happy, why leave?

I don't think I could have turned Ohio State down personally. I'm too competitive, I would want to compete at the highest level, coach for a national championship. Ohio State gives you that forum, Creighton doesn't.

Had he cashed that paycheck, I think he would of been there for 5 years max then would have probably landed back at a mid-major. He fits in well at Creighton, it's a good basketball school, he seems happy, why leave?

I don't think I could have turned Ohio State down personally. I'm too competitive, I would want to compete at the highest level, coach for a national championship. Ohio State gives you that forum, Creighton doesn't.
Actually one could win a title at creighton. Absolutely it's more likely at OSU though. Jays were 19-1 and headed toward a 2 seed last year. Then....poof. not that they win it all but to say no chace isn't accurate.

I'd recommend listening to hisninterview with Bahe today. It shoild be required listening for anyone who has ever uttered the line "open up the checkbook". His line "if you're not missing something, what are you chasing?" Is something that people need tonconsider when they think someone like David Shaw would leave Stanford if Nebraska if they'd "just open up the checkbook. There is so much more to it.

Regarding competitiveness...dont read it as Mac is content. He just sees things differently than he did when he was 40. Hell...i do and I'm only 46.

Lastly you are completely guessimg on the "back in the mid majors" in 5 years. LITERALLY every husker fan said the same thing about Altman because of his stint at KSU. They seriously couldn't have been more wrong. Would Mac thrive or fail at OSU? Neither of us know. But i do know with 100% certainty that he's a better coach today than he was at the end at ISU. Not just winning more games...he is a better, more experienced basketball coach. Is he coach k? No.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back