• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #9, (L, 86-57), Sun, 12/3 @ Michigan State (#3) (6-1), 3:30 pm CST, FS1

Yeah, because when I want to talk to knowledgeable basketball fans, I’ll hang out in the concourse of the Century Link Center.

I think your anger in Nebraska basketball fans are misplaced. The truth is that Miles would have been fired last year but Shawn Eichorst is such a dipsh*t that Hank Bounds and company weren’t going to let him hire anyone else. If Eichorst was dumb enough to hire Mike Riley, he’s certainly dumb enough to hire another poor basketball coach.
i'm not angry at NU bball fans. I'm just responding to the typical NU theme of "well what did you expect" after another NU beatdown. Creighton fans obviously have a different expectation level for their team, as well they should. I'm trying to beat the drum that NU fans should be expecting a better product on the floor, considering the talent level of the players and the amount of time Miles' has had to build his program.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think we all are all frustrated. Nebraska has never really cared about building a successful basketball program and I hope that changes someday. Maybe Moos is the guy who makes that happen. Men’s basketball should be the second highest priority for the athletic department.
you bring up a good point that i forgot about. With Moos here now, the pieces are in place that if a change needs to be made at the end of the season, it likely will. We're probably better off that FADSE didn't pull the plug on Miles last year. I have way more confidence in Moos ability to find us a bball coach.

you bring up a good point that i forgot about. With Moos here now, the pieces are in place that if a change needs to be made at the end of the season, it likely will. We're probably better off that FADSE didn't pull the plug on Miles last year. I have way more confidence in Moos ability to find us a bball coach.

Agreed.

Yeah, when Moos was hired I was rather upset from a basketball perspective. I’ve completely flipped my opinion (Lars was right), Moos handled the Frost situation masterfully. He gets it. Not to say that he’ll hire a great basketball coach, but he’s about our best shot. We’ll see how this season plays out.

I know this is off topic, but who wants to coach Cleveland after Lebron leaves? :) I think Tyronn's last year at UNL was Asst Athletic Director Matt Davison's first year, coincidentally. Also Cookie Belcher (Tyronn's cousin), coaching at IMG Academy currently, was on that team. Hmm.

Yeah, because when I want to talk to knowledgeable basketball fans, I’ll hang out in the concourse of the Century Link Center.

I think your anger in Nebraska basketball fans are misplaced. The truth is that Miles would have been fired last year but Shawn Eichorst is such a dipsh*t that Hank Bounds and company weren’t going to let him hire anyone else. If Eichorst was dumb enough to hire Mike Riley, he’s certainly dumb enough to hire another poor basketball coach.

The first part, of course, is dumb and I'm sure you know it.

The second part...yes, Miles should have been fired last year.

The first part, of course, is dumb and I'm sure you know it.

The second part...yes, Miles should have been fired last year.

On the second--perhaps, but I'm glad he wasn't. No way you could let Eichorst make another big sport hire. The pool of candidates would have shrunk considerably (as it would have in football). And who knows, perhaps behind the scenes that was a factor.
i'm not angry at NU bball fans. I'm just responding to the typical NU theme of "well what did you expect" after another NU beatdown. Creighton fans obviously have a different expectation level for their team, as well they should. I'm trying to beat the drum that NU fans should be expecting a better product on the floor, considering the talent level of the players and the amount of time Miles' has had to build his program.

Our "talent level" is still not that great. It's decent by Nebraska standards but still toward the bottom of the conference. Our bigs, Jordy and Dube, are not talented basketball players. Bad hands, bad skills, bad feet, can't make free throws, Jordy couldn't go right if his life depended on it. Now, I obviously get the point, in year 6 that is on Miles. But any talk of us having a high talent level needs to be kept in perspective. While Copeland is a nice player, that 5 star talk is way out of whack, that was a inaccurate rating. He got blatantly schooled by a Michigan State guy who was clearly more talented than Copeland.

The sand in the hourglass is indeed running out; I'm just making a point on the talent level.

I think your anger in Nebraska basketball fans are misplaced. The truth is that Miles would have been fired last year but Shawn Eichorst is such a dipsh*t that Hank Bounds and company weren’t going to let him hire anyone else. If Eichorst was dumb enough to hire Mike Riley, he’s certainly dumb enough to hire another poor basketball coach.[/QUOTE]

You are spot on about what transpired last March. Eichorst wasn't going to get another hire in a revenue sport. We are way better off now that Moos is on board. In addition to Eichorst's track record, the candidate pool would have been considerably reduced with him making the hire. That was obvious with the football hire; no way Frost considers us without the change at AD.

I'm confident that the subject of men's basketball came up in Moos' interview with Bounds and Green. In pretty specific terms.

fwiw....*** mentioned he heard that maybe one of the things that pissed bounds/green off was that Miles WASN'T fired. i might be butchering what he posted in one of the football threads. @ShortSideOption ?

fwiw....*** mentioned he heard that maybe one of the things that pissed bounds/green off was that Miles WASN'T fired. i might be butchering what he posted in one of the football threads. @ShortSideOption ?
I heard that. But then I also was told Bounds/Green told him he couldn't make any more major hiring decisions so it possibly saved Miles' job. I heard the Miles situation and him still being here put Eichorst on massively thin ice. Not sure if that's because it handcuffed them keeping him, or because he didn't fire him on his own.

I’m pretty sure the papers were drawn up and it was formally presented to Bounds/Green. They sat on it and eventually told him no with the reason being they weren’t going to let Eichorst make another major hire (although I would guess they never gave Eichorst the real reason). Ginger boy got mad and that’s why he gave his bullsh*t tweet of “support” and went silent while the basketball staff got pounded for a few weeks.

During that period, the staff was completely in the dark and thought that they would still be fired. Rumors circulated around the players and the staff believes that’s why one of them left.

On the second--perhaps, but I'm glad he wasn't. No way you could let Eichorst make another big sport hire. The pool of candidates would have shrunk considerably (as it would have in football). And who knows, perhaps behind the scenes that was a factor.

Our "talent level" is still not that great. It's decent by Nebraska standards but still toward the bottom of the conference. Our bigs, Jordy and Dube, are not talented basketball players. Bad hands, bad skills, bad feet, can't make free throws, Jordy couldn't go right if his life depended on it. Now, I obviously get the point, in year 6 that is on Miles. But any talk of us having a high talent level needs to be kept in perspective. While Copeland is a nice player, that 5 star talk is way out of whack, that was a inaccurate rating. He got blatantly schooled by a Michigan State guy who was clearly more talented than Copeland.

The sand in the hourglass is indeed running out; I'm just making a point on the talent level.

oh i agree with you 1000%. decent, by NU standards, yes. Jordy is not good. His footwork and post moves are awful. I'm beginning to wonder if he can even dunk, which is insane for a guy as tall as him playing at this level. I like Dube, but mainly cause i just enjoy watching him play. You never quite know who he's gonna run over, usually on accident. We don't have a guy on our squad that would start for anyone in the upper 4/5 teams in the BIG. But, given that, we need a coach who can take tryhards and get them competing with better talent. I don't care how many Ipads we put in the bathroom walls of the locker-room, you're not gonna get the skill guys needed to play the way Miles wants to play. We need a COACH. not an AAU smiley guy who says all the right stuff, gets a few laughs, and trys to get "ballers" on his squad by promising a free style, do as you please offense. I think thats Miles MO and I'm tired of it.

put it this way. IZZO has better players across the board, yet he still runs a system thats recognizable and has structure. I've seen MSU play twice this year and i immediately recognized a few sets they ran against NU. As soon as the MSU PG pulled it back, and both big men went high post, opposite corners, i had an idea what was coming before they even ran it. of course, they got good shots every time, cause their players knew what to do.

I couldn't paint a picture of any set structure within NU's "offense", and I've seen every game they've played this year, not to mention the past 6 yrs. that tells me all i need to know.

When it comes right down to it I don't think Moos has any more chance to hire a good coach than Eichorst or anyone else. It will almost certainly be a "mid major" guy and that is a true guessing game. (although I will say...there wasn't anything all that impressive about miles on the way in).

I'm all for giving guys ample time. It's the definition of "ample time" that I guess is the big question. NU has a habit of giving obvious failures too much time. Sadler got too much time. It was clear after 4 years, if you watched, that he was useless. That that guy has made millions coaching college basketball is amazing to me. Same with Collier and he was coming back for a 7th year had he not left. And now Miles...it's been abundantly clear since year 4 that he has no clue and that year 2 was nothing more than a 5 week stretch of white hot shooting. Tim Miles is a more polished Doc Sadler. All great guys.

gotta stop with the same formula. Go for a top assistant next time. NU isn't a basketball black hole. If the guy at Northwestern can get them in the dance and win a game...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back