• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #9, (L, 85-78), Wed, 12/5 @ Minnesota (#55) (6-2), 8:00pm CT, BTN

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Huskers (7-1) (1-0) KenPom ranking #22 @12/4

Next-Up:
Wed, 12/5 @ Minnesota (#55) (6-2), 8:00pm CT, BTN

No. 24/25 Huskers Travel to Minnesota

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOOOOO :Huskers:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:Shout:LET'S GO HUSKERS :pirate: BEAT THE GOPHERS :Shout:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

o Huskers Game Page: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211782863

o VIDEO: BTN:
https://www.btn2go.com/
Announcers: Cory Provus Analysis: Stephen Bardo

o Audio Links:

(TuneIn: https://tunein.com/radio/Husker-IMG-Sports-Network-s230240/?_branch_match_id=586027771734753162)
(Huskers.com: http://www.huskers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100
Kent Pavelka & Jake Muhleisen on the Call

o Live Game Stats:

http://www.huskers.com/liveStats/liveStats.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100

o Game Notes: http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5480053.pdf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The No. 24/25 Nebraska men’s basketball team looks to build on their best start in 15 seasons on Wednesday evening, as the Huskers travel to Minnesota.

The Huskers are 7-1 on the season following a 75-60 win over Illinois in their Big Ten opener on Sunday night. James Palmer Jr. had a game-high 23 points to lead three Huskers in double figures, as the Huskers raced out to a 13-2 lead and never trailed. The Huskers held Illinois to 40 percent shooting and went 25-of-30 from the foul line against a physical Fighting Illini squad. Isaac Copeland and Glynn Watson Jr. added 16 and 14 markers, respectively.

Palmer comes off his best week of the season, averaging 21.5 points and 6.0 rebounds in a pair of wins last week. The senior is finding his stride from 3-point range, going 5-of-11 from beyond the arc against Clemson and Illinois.

While Palmer has led an attack which has three double figure scorers, Nebraska's forte has been on the defensive end of the court. The Huskers are second in the Big Ten in scoring defense (54.5) and field goal defense (.352) after holding Illinois to 60 points on .404 percent shooting.

Minnesota comes into Wednesday's contest with a 6-2 mark after falling at Ohio State Sunday evening. The Gophers already have wins over Oklahoma State, Washington, Texas A&M and Utah and will be playing their first home game since Nov. 12 on Wednesday. The Gophers feature one of the Big Ten's best interior players in Jordan Murphy, who is averaging 14.6 points and 12.0 rebounds per game.

EDIT (12/5 @ 3:30PM To Add This from another site:

Player to watch: Jordan Murphy
The walking double-double is getting to the FT line at an incredible 88.6% FT rate (62 FTA / 70 shot attempts). On the flip side if you can get Murphy in foul trouble this is a team that struggles to score 60 points without him playing 30+ minutes

The Skinny: This seems like a make or break year for young Richard Pitino as while he's taken Tubby's guys to a NIT championship and finally won a NCAA tourney game as a 5 seed he's also had a couple of turd seasons with rosters plagued by injury and suspension. At this point the Gophers look like a fringe NCAA tourney team with 2 neutral court wins and a talented roster with a key member set to return shortly. Pitino probably is ok this year and is back again but as Sunday's beat down in Columbus shows you this is a buzzsaw type B1G conference with few gimmes.

Minnesota offensively looks like the 13-14 tourney Huskers where that needed to augment their offense with FTs or else they struggle to crack 70. The Huskers have been giving up some easy looks inside at the expense of protecting the 3pt line but a switch in strategy against a team currently with only one reliable outside shooter might be in the cards. Last year Nebraska threw double teams at the Gophers and we should see some zone. The biggest problem with this team seems to be the lack of replacement for graduated PG Nate Mason which only compounds the spacing issues of a team often plays two traditional bigs.

It's probable Nebraska can throttle yet another team defensively so the question that we'll often try to answer on the road in this conference is 'Will we find enough offense?' The name Pitino makes you think of pressure and steals but that's not what this team does. The Gophers are solid with all that length but they deploy a fairly pedestrian defense put often aren't disciplined and they will put you on the line. A patient offense that doesn't feed the Gopher transition game will get the job done here.

We won up here last year and it was difficult against a struggling Gopher squad. A team like Michigan who has been killing anyone almost lost in Evansville last night so this is no gimmie. Road games are tough, that's why they're valued more by the tourney committee. Look for this Husker team to find a way.

Prediction: Nebraska 72 - Minnesota 67
hhcmatt - https://huskerhoopscentral.com/forums/topic/12785-game-day-essentials-game-8-at-minnesota/

Last edited:

If we went 1-1 in our next two games we’d be in a pretty good spot. 2-0 would be better though.

It is early but these next 2 games will tell us a lot about how good this team actually is... Winning up there is not going to be easy and this is the year that Nebraska is considerably more talented than Creighton... 9-1 and I feel like this team will certainly be a mid seed tournament team barring no serious injuries.

TeamRankings simulations have prediction as Nebraska by 4. Looks like about a 68% confidence that we'll win.

It is early but these next 2 games will tell us a lot about how good this team actually is... Winning up there is not going to be easy and this is the year that Nebraska is considerably more talented than Creighton... 9-1 and I feel like this team will certainly be a mid seed tournament team barring no serious injuries.
I have seen parts of a couple of Creighton games and I would not say we are 'considerably' more talented than they are. They looked awfully good against Gonzaga for most of the game.

Its a game we can win though but we always seem to find a way to lose to Creighton.

I have seen parts of a couple of Creighton games and I would not say we are 'considerably' more talented than they are. They looked awfully good against Gonzaga for most of the game.

Its a game we can win though but we always seem to find a way to lose to Creighton.

I think talent is part skill and part athleticism. We are much more athletic than Creighton to be sure. We probably have 2 players who are just as if not more skilled as well in Watson and Copeland. Creighton definitely has more skill 4-8 though than we do, at least when it comes to shooting/passing/offensive aptitude. Naturally, our athleticism allows for better defense.

You can pretty much throw out any preconceived notions for that game, it will be a dog fight. Depending on how the game is called will be crucial.

I am not saying Creighton are chopped liver by an stretch (regarding talent) but they also have not played a team ranked where we are defensively according to KenPom... The 3 teams that they played in the defensive top 50, they are 1-2 with the lone win coming vs Clemson where the Tigers committed 19 turnovers and shot under 30% from 3...

We do always find a way to choke to the Jays... time for that crap to end!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back