• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #33, 1st Round NIT, Wed, 3-14, @ Mississippi State (#4 Seed), 8:00 pm CST, ESPN2

But but but the new practice facility and state of the art arena was the answer to everything. We were supposed to be a final four contender by now. I am sure we can do better than Tim Miles but who are you going to get?
Ha! I remember the day when we played in the old Coliseum and every one claimed that all we needed was a top rate place to play and we would start winning basketball championships, ad nauseum. Well, how many basketball championships have we won since the Devaney Center was built in the mid seventies? One?

We could get a solid coach to Nebraska in like 2 seconds. The facilities and fans are second to very few. It’s turn-key.

I agree with some of the stuff you wrote but not with a lot of other things.

I agree that Miles wined too much about not making the tournament and that he needed to let that go and start focusing on the game at hand. Which maybe he did in private and we just didn't see it.

I don't agree that it is all on the coach to motivate his players to play well. I am pretty sure we have discussed this before. Coaches motivation only goes so far. I coached a lot over a 20 year period and it is hard to get players going sometimes. As a player I don't ever remember a coach motivating me to play better.

Preparation and motivation are 2 different things when it comes to sports. Preparation involves lots of concrete things done in practice and film study. Motivation is much more of a subjective thing IMO.

I watched 2 fairly evenly match teams last night.

The biggest thing that probably played into the loss for NU was playing on the road. I believe I read somewhere that MSU was something like 18-2 at home this year. If the game is at home the outcome is probably reversed with about the same score.

NU didn't shoot the ball very well, they missed too many shots, shots that they normally don't miss. Missed a lot of bunnys.

The officiating was very uneven. I don't mean one sided I mean they called some real ticky tack stuff and then called nothing when a guy would get hammered. The announcers even said that a few times. I think NU was expecting a few more fouls to be called on some of those missed layups.

I know you really dislike Miles as a coach and think they can do so much better. Well he is going to be around for at least one more year. The problem is if you fire him next year or whenever who you going to get? Is it the coach or is it Nebraska basketball in general? Nebraska has 100+ years of playing basketball and have never seen any sort of sustained success.

Four times since Mo Iba was fired they have hired mid major coaches that have had decent success at their previous schools and only one of them, Nee, really had any success and he eventually wore out his welcome. Why is that? Is it bad luck? Were all of these guys not good coaches and Devaney, Byrne, and TO don't know how to pick BBall coaches.

NU has some of the best facilities in the country for bball. Back in the day when the Devaney Center opened it was considered a palace. It didn't make a difference. Allen Field house is a barn doesn't make a difference at Kansas.

Is it because NU has basically no local talent and has always competed in pretty tough power bball conferences. NU has by far the least amount of local talent of any team in the B1G. I think that is a big problem, others don't. I know NU has some decent talent right now, but that talent is gone next year.

Unlike a lot of you guys I think NU is a lot tougher place to win at BBall consistently than some do. I think it is a much more complicated problem than just getting "The Coach", because the really good established coaches aren't coming to Nebraska. Hey Tubby Smith just got fired for the 4th time or so. We could go with him. :Corn2:
Well said! :Cheers:

It is a complicated question to answer. Can we be better? Or is our past and present also -- for the most part -- our future?

I see teams like Auburn, Clemson, and Tennessee having had solid seasons with high seeds in the dance. None are really basketball powers. So we know it can happen. But can it be sustained?

I don't believe you take the "it is what it is" approach. As difficult as it may be to take Nebraska to another level.

Personally (and I've been saying this for awhile), I would like to see Nebraska some day go after a top assistant from a basketball power. We've been doing the mid-major head coaching hires for a long time now -- and it's mostly been "meh." Bring in someone who has been around championships.

As was mentioned yesterday, Miles has no track record of postseason success. In 14 years of D-I, he's never coached a single CBI, NIT, or NCAA victory. And he's even flamed out in the majority of conference tournaments (i.e. in five of his six seasons at NU, he's won a total of one Big Ten tournament game). I just don't know if he has the mentality to win in an elimination game setting. I'm also not certain that he's more than a mediocre X's and O's coach. All of this is a huge concern, IMO.

Regardless, I can certainly understand and support if Miles returns next season. But if for whatever crazy reason he doesn't, I'm not going to be too torn up about it.

I like Tim, but it would be great, one day, to get a big name who is a great recruiter.

Tim, have a great 2019, so we all can say, you are our coach to stay for a long time.
"Just win, baby"!!!!

We could get a solid coach to Nebraska in like 2 seconds. The facilities and fans are second to very few. It’s turn-key.
You, my friend, are totally delusional. Name a top 20 coach who would give up their current team to take the NU job? Miles needs to hang in there, keep recruiting. One missing piece is a very dominant big man. He needs to get one, somewhere.

You, my friend, are totally delusional. Name a top 20 coach who would give up their current team to take the NU job? Miles needs to hang in there, keep recruiting. One missing piece is a very dominant big man. He needs to get one, somewhere.

Yes, we need some force at the basket, for sure! In fact, a couple of big guys wouldn't hurt my feelings! ;) Tired of seeing us lose so many rebounds, and our getting knocked around, under the basket.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back