• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #3, (L, 56-79), Thu, 11/16 vs St. John's, @ NYC, 5:30 pm CST, FS1

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member

Huskers (2-0) (0-0) KenPom ranking #101
(@ 11/15/17) (#98 pre-season)

Thu, 11/16 vs St. John's (#54), @ NYC, 5:30 pm CST, FS1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOOOOO :Huskers:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Games Are About to get Serious, Starting Now! :Catfight:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huskers Face St. John's in Gavitt Tipoff Games (Series Record 0-1)

o Huskers Game Page:
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211685609

o VIDEO: FS1 (TV)
(and Fox Sports to Go: https://www.foxsportsgo.com/)
Announcers: Brian Custer and Jim Spanarkel

o Audio Link:
http://www.huskers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100
Kent Pavelka & Matt Davison on the Call (Link available @ gametime)

o Live Game Stats:
(Link should be available @ gametime)
http://www.huskers.com/liveStats/liveStats.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100

o Game Notes:
http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5462114.pdf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday's matchup is one of eight Gavitt Tipoff Games, a conference series between the Big Ten and Big East in honor of Basketball Hall of Famer Dave Gavitt. For St. John's and Nebraska, it is also a non-bracketed game for next week's AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando.
  • The last two years, the series has been deadlocked at 4-4. Through Tuesday's games, the Big Ten leads, 2-0, with both wins coming on the road.
  • A win would even Nebraska's all-time Gavitt Games record to 1-1, as the Huskers lost at eventual national champion Villanova during the 2015-16 campaign.
PREVIEWING ST. JOHN'S
Under Basketball Hall of Famer Chris Mullen, St. John's is 2-0 on the season following wins over New Orleans (77-61) and Central Connecticut (80-55) heading into Thursday's Gavitt Games matchup with the Huskers. After winning just eight games in his first season, Mullen's team won 14 games a year ago and is picked to finish sixth in the Big East preseason poll after returning four starters.

The strength of the Red Storm is in the backcourt, as they feature a pair of preseason All-Big East performers in Shamorie Ponds and Marcus LoVett. Ponds averaged 17.4 points per game to rank fifth in the Big East in scoring as a true freshman. The Brooklyn, N.Y. native set the school scoring record with 573 points last year, including 75 3-pointers, while also pacing the Big East with 2.1 steals per game. Sophomore Marcus LoVett was also in the top-10 of the Big East in scoring last year at 15.9 points per game and ranked fourth in the Big East with 3.8 assists per outing. He had 23 points and four steals in St. John's opener. Senior Bashir Ahmed also ranked among the Big East scoring leaders in 2016-17, averaging 13.4 ppg., as he started all 33 contests last year.

LAST TIME OUT: NEBRASKA 86, NORTH TEXAS 67
James Palmer Jr. had 11 of his game-high 18 points in a game-opening 25-2 run, as Nebraska downed North Texas, 86-67, Monday evening at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Palmer and the Huskers took control from the opening tip, as the Huskers scored the first seven points before following up with an 18-0 run, holding North Texas without a field goal for a stretch of 8:02. Palmer had nine of NU’s first 18 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, to pace five Huskers in double figures.

Glynn Watson Jr. added 15 points and four rebounds, while Evan Taylor (12), Isaiah Roby (11) and Jack McVeigh (10) all finished in double figures, as all 14 players who dressed got into the action and 11 players broke into the scoring column.

Nebraska shot 57 percent from the field in the opening 20 minutes and led by as many as 28 points in the first half before taking a 52-30 lead into the locker room.

UNT opened by missing 16 of its first 17 shots and struggled with Nebraska’s length, as the Huskers had seven of its nine blocked shots in the opening 20 minutes and shot just 31 percent in the first half. Isaac Copeland and Duby Okeke combined for seven of the Huskers’ nine blocks on the evening.

Last edited:

SOOOOOO what you're saying is IF we are to get beat tomorrow I should go drop a hefty bet on St. John's to win the national title this year given our track record to losing to the eventual national champions in this setting? My wife thanks you in advance!!

:Lol: I guess the time to cross that bridge is when (or if) we get beat. (I think I saw somewhere that Vegas has us as 9 point dogs. :Stickouttongue:)

Make NO MISTAKE. I think we will win tomorrow. Just thought it was funny the only time we lost was to the eventual national championship.

I think we get a little humble pie tomorrow night. St. Johns grabs the victory in the second half. :Frown:

Ponds is the real deal. Mullins has recruited well...leaves most of the coaching up to his assistants. Probably won't notice much on tv but he spenda more time sitting than most other coaches....it is almost comical.

Ponds is the real deal. Mullins has recruited well...leaves most of the coaching up to his assistants. Probably won't notice much on tv but he spenda more time sitting than most other coaches....it is almost comical.
I spenda lotta time out in the wilderness every chance I get myself....:Sneaky:

I’m not sure Nebraska has ever been good enough to be humbled. That said, I hope that your prediction is wrong.
I was there for it in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome... standing for the first five minutes of the game as Nebraska could not score against Xavier.

Guy behind the Nebraska section: "Why don't you people sit down?"
ME: "It's okay, we only stand until the first score"
Guy: "Well then I hope you score"
ME: "..."

That won't happen tonight, because I'm not there. GBR!

Litmus test game.

Yeah, I agree. They need to play well tonight. If they play well and lose, that’s still something you can build upon. Losing while playing bad is a recipe to regress or maintain status quo.

This is a game where we have to be physical. We need Jordy back at 100% and I don’t think he’s there yet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back