• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #17, (W, 66-51), Mon, 1/14 @ Indiana (#23) (12-4) (3-2), 5:30pm CT, FS1

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
NU Never Trails in 15-Point Win at No. 25 Indiana
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211786581
The Nebraska basketball team started fast and finished strong Monday night, never trailing No. 25 Indiana in a 66-51 victory over the Hoosiers at Assembly Hall.

The Huskers scored the first nine points of the game and held Indiana without a basket over the final 5:38 en route to picking up their first road victory over a ranked opponent in more than two years. With the win, Nebraska improved to 13-4 on the season and the Huskers evened their Big Ten Conference record at 3-3. Indiana fell to 12-5 overall and dropped to 3-3 in league play.

Nebraska’s seniors shined in the upset win. Glynn Watson Jr. paced the Huskers with 15 points - including 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting in the second half - while Isaac Copeland chipped in 14 points and eight rebounds. James Palmer Jr. filled up the stat sheet with 11 points, a career-high-tying nine rebounds and a season-high seven assists. Tanner Borchardt was big off the bench, scoring seven points – one shy of his career high – and grabbing five rebounds. Together, the four seniors combined for 47 points and 27 rebounds, while sophomore Thomas Allen added 10 points for the Big Red and junior Isaiah Roby had nine points and four rebounds.

Defensively, the Huskers held Indiana to a season-low 51 points, 12 points fewer than the Hoosiers managed against No. 2 Michigan. Nebraska also limited Indiana to a season-worst 36.5 percent from the field and held the Hoosiers to a season-low two 3-pointers. Romeo Langord led Indiana with a game-high 18 points, but he was just 5-of-14 from the field. Juwan Morgan added 17 points, but no other Hoosier had more than five points.

Huskers (12-4) (2-3) KenPom ranking #15 @1/13/19

Next-Up:
Mon, 1/14 @ Indiana (#25) (12-4) (3-2), 5:30pm CT, FS1

Huskers Head to No. 22 Indiana

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOOOOO :Huskers:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:Hooray: LET'S GO HUSKERS!!! :pirate: !!! :pirate: BEAT THE HOOSIERS!!!!! :Hooray:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

o Huskers Game Page: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211786433

o VIDEO: FS1:
https://www.foxsportsgo.com/
Play-by-play: Joe Davis Analysis: Bill Raftery

o Audio Links: (Satellite Radio: Sirius: 137 XM: 196 Internet: 958)
(TuneIn: https://tunein.com/radio/Husker-IMG-Sports-Network-s230240/?_branch_match_id=586027771734753162)
(Huskers.com: http://www.huskers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100
Kent Pavelka & Ben McLaughlin on the Call

o Live Game Stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=ind

o Game Notes: http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5481284.pdf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Huskers snap a two-game losing streak with a 70-64 win over Penn State.

Isaiah Roby led three Huskers in double figures with 22 points and 11 rebounds for his first double-double of the season, while Glynn Watson Jr. added 19 points, three assists and four rebounds. Watson keyed a decisive second-half run after PSU pulled to within one with eight points to help extend the lead to 66-61. Roby capped his second 20-point effort of the season with four free throws in the final 17 seconds and also helped limit Lamar Stevens to just 13 points, including 6-of-20 shooting, as the Huskers held PSU to 36 percent shooting.

Roby has played some of his best basketball over the last month, averaging 15.0 points on 55 percent shooting, 7.7 rebounds and 2.1 per game. He has reached double figures in six of his last seven games.

SCOUTING INDIANA

Indiana went 9-2 in non-conference play, with losses at No. 1 Duke and a one-point setback at Arkansas. In conference play, three of Indiana's five games have been decided by three points or less.

As a team, Indiana shoots a Big Ten-best 52 percent from the field, including 36 percent from 3-point range, while holding foes to 41 percent shooting. The Hoosiers also hold opponents to under 30 percent from 3-point range and average more than six steals per contest.

The Hoosiers feature a strong 1-2 punch in freshman Romeo Langford and senior Juwan Morgan. Langford is fourth in the Big Ten in scoring at 18.8 points per game and has been in double figures all 16 games. Langford has seven 20-point games, including 28 against both Illinois and Maryland. In Big Ten play, Langford is averaging 22 ppg while shooting close to 90 percent from the line.

Morgan, a second-team All-Big Ten pick last year, is averaging 16.5 points per game on 63 percent shooting while pacing the Hoosiers in rebounding (7.8 rpg) and blocked shots (1.3 bpg) and steals (1.0 spg). Morgan had a career-high 35 points against Butler and 25 points and eight boards against Michigan.

Last edited:
Indiana is playing good basketball but I don’t think we matchup that horrible with them. Road game though, hard to imagine that we will play well. If we can split the next two games, we won’t be in that bad of a spot.

KenPom has Indiana by 2; 73-71 (Home Court Advantage) But I believe we have a good chance to pull an upset here. IU seems pretty confident over on their rivals board; and they are not desperate for a win.

They are not a particularly good rebounding team nor do they seem to get many 'steals.'

Last edited:
Indiana is basically a mirror image of Nebraska when it comes to player size, lack of good rebounding etc. They play solid defense have a 6'6" slasher guard in Langford just like Palmer etc. I think Roby might be the difference. I hope/think a light really came on in the PSU game. I think we may see a real uptick in offensive performance out of him going forward.

Indiana is basically a mirror image of Nebraska when it comes to player size, lack of good rebounding etc. They play solid defense have a 6'6" slasher guard in Langford just like Palmer etc. I think Roby might be the difference. I hope/think a light really came on in the PSU game. I think we may see a real uptick in offensive performance out of him going forward.
That is my biggest wish and as a fan who wants him to stick around next year my biggest fear. And I'll let that wish win every time because that dude deserves it.

This one is supposed to be a loss...but, we need to get a road win to move the needle in the right direction again. It is basically home-court that is swinging the % to Indiana, I don't really see any other metrics that lean toward Indiana.

upload_2019-1-14_16-50-39.png

upload_2019-1-14_16-51-3.png

There's a Copeland feature on FS1 College Hoops Tip Off if one had interest.

EDIT: talks about his injury, how it affected his play at Georgetown, and surgery and recovery at Nebraska.

Last edited:

If we can hold our own on the boards, we will have a decent chance to win this game. We can't afford to give up 21 offensive rebounds again. :Banghead:

Some 'Skinny' from another site:

"The Skinny: Nebraska looks into the mirror tonight as they face a highly regarded Indiana team that does most everything well except for rebounding. While you could arguably give Nebraska the edge for the better starting 5, you might need to give Indiana the nod for the top 2 players on the court in Langford and Morgan.

Nebraska has defensively focused on taking away the 3 but what sort of adjustments do they make against a team that shoots a low percentage of them? Will they roll out more zone looks tonight? Will they turn back the clock and run some pack? Running that default defense against a team a Hoosier team that looks a bit like Minnesota or Texas Tech seems like it will result in layups and FTs which is how Indiana beats you. What's the plan, coach?

Defensively Indiana is going to make you work to get a good shot and in some regards it seems like this Nebraska offense is content in running clock to sometimes get a better shot. Indiana hasn't exactly been shutting down anyone in conference so if Palmer is struggling finding someone else on the team to shoulder the load shouldn't be asking much.

Nebraska can win this game but will they? At the end of the day the home team with two best players is the better bet.

Prediction: Indiana 77 - Nebraska 72"
hhcmatt: https://huskerhoopscentral.com/forums/topic/12912-game-day-essentials-game-17-at-25-indiana/
"

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back