• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #11, (L, 75-65), Sat, 12/9 @ Creighton (#32) (6-2), 1:30pm CST, FS1

Jays shot 65% inside the arch and 25% outside. If they are just average outside this game isn't in doubt in funal minutes.

Jays turnovers and poor 3pt shooting + the mini barrage from 3 for NU in the first half was why this was close, quite frankly.

Another stat i heard after the game....both had 11 offensive boards but cu led on 2nd chance points 14-4.

...and if Nebraska wasn’t in foul trouble, it probably would have went down to the last shot.

From Nebraska’s perspective, here’s the stat that just kills ya...

Palmer- 21 minutes
Roby- 13 minutes
McVeigh- 14 minutes

I can assure you, that was NOT what Miles intended. That’s a lot of minutes of non-production from 2 of their top 5 guys, sitting in the bench while McVeigh gave up bucket after bucket. Sure, the officiating didn’t help, but there were plenty of fouls within Nebraska’s control. Nebraska’s length and athleticism gave Creighton fits in the first half. Credit Creighton for making adjustments, but Nebraska simply couldn’t play the aggressive defense in the 2nd half because of the fouls.

I don’t believe in moral victories, but Creighton is a good team and playing on the road is tough, even if it’s only 50 minutes away. Hang your head for a little bit but get back to work. There are plenty of possible wins on the schedule. Do what you can at home against Kansas, blast the 3 cream puffs that follow, and get ready to grind. They split those early Big 10 games and that’s the most important thing. They should be 10-5 heading into January.

God I hate creighton

LOL. I don’t really don’t have anything against Creighton. A portion of their fan base is absolutely incorrigible though, and that’s quite annoying. Love the old Civic fans, those guys are awesome. I also like Jayskers, although those coats that couple were wearing were brutally dumb. I don’t understand why some of them hate us so bad. I mean good God, there is a 76 page thread on their message board that is dedicated to their shrine of hatred for us.

The manufactured rivalry is annoying as well. It’s a fun game that the players and fans want to win. Probably 80% of the Creighton fan base popped a chub when Frost was announced HC though. It’s just hard to have a traditional rivalry when that is the case.

Last edited:
LOL. I don’t really don’t have anything against Creighton. A portion of their fan base is absolutely incorrigible though, and that’s quite annoying. Love the old Civic fans, those guys are awesome. I also like Jayskers, although those coats that couple were wearing were brutally dumb. I don’t understand why some of them hate us so bad. I mean good God, there is a 76 page thread on their message board that is dedicated to their shrine of hatred for us.

The manufactured rivalry is annoying as well. It’s a fun game that the players and fans want to win. Probably 80% of the Creighton fan base popped a chub when Frost was announced HC though. It’s just hard to have a traditional rivalry when that is the case.

Soon...you hate them? :Biggrin:

What i dont get is Nebraska fan (football and basketball) absolutely refusing to acknowledge anyone as a rival. It isn't manufactured...itnis a rivalry. Like you said....76 pages on some jays forum. Ever been to husker hoops central? Good lord the hate over there is hilarious. What i appreciate from this board, as unpopulated as it might be, is that the folks here are generally pretty even keel. Honestly the basketball i.q. on that board is well below the mendoza line.

Anyway, it was fun to see a competitive game today...the rest of the ooc home slate sucks eggs. NU was finally not completely outclassed between the lines....yet still not up to snuff. NU has the talent to be pretty good. But the sideline will hold them back....always will as long as Miles is there.

Last edited:
Official Box Score:

upload_2017-12-9_23-1-38.png

upload_2017-12-9_23-2-49.png

One thing mot mentioned, way too many close, easy shots missed!!!!!

What i dont get is Nebraska fan (football and basketball) absolutely refusing to acknowledge anyone as a rival. It isn't manufactured...itnis a rivalry. Like you said....76 pages on some jays forum. Ever been to husker hoops central? Good lord the hate over there is hilarious. What i appreciate from this board, as unpopulated as it might be, is that the folks here are generally pretty even keel. Honestly the basketball i.q. on that board is well below the mendoza line.

Anyway, it was fun to see a competitive game today...the rest of the ooc home slate sucks eggs. NU was finally not completely outclassed between the lines....yet still not up to snuff. NU has the talent to be pretty good. But the sideline will hold them back....always will as long as Miles is there.
Nebraska would have to challenge Creighton to have a rivalry. This is more like Colorado - Nebraska, where Colorado got good for a few years after losing for 15 in a row (without Nebraska getting good).

Nebraska would have to challenge Creighton to have a rivalry. This is more like Colorado - Nebraska, where Colorado got good for a few years after losing for 15 in a row (without Nebraska getting good).
I don't really buy the notion that a series has to be even in the long or short runs to be a rivalry. Didn't navy beat army for a bunch of years in a row?

Every fan base if a program one is not a fan of is annoying. The Nebraska football fan base is WILDLY annoying to those who don't like or don't care about NU football.

Fan bases of programs that are successful are annoying to those that aren't but are in close proximity. That's just a reality of fandom.

In some ways I miss the civic. When cu was going 7-22 you could go buy the cheapest ticket and go sit where you wanted. Put 3000 in there and give them reason to get excited and that place would rock...fill it up and it was a madhouse. Not a bad seat in the house. But is was a dump that reeked of piss and stale beer. The Clink has been a major part of CU's progression to a top 25 or 30 program. That necessarily requires "new fans". CU is no different than 95% of other programs...win and they will come. Lose and they won't.

That's why i believe Miles has wasted the opportunity that PBA provides...or at least in danger of doing so. They are still filling it up but the novelty will eventually wear off. If he can't get something figured out this year it is time. He just really will never have "it" IMO. I believe the talent is there for NU to be a tourney team...not final 4 or big 10 title talent but tourney talent for sure. I think if you gave Mcdermott that squad he could get them to the dance...and he isn't a great coach...good but not great.

Last edited:

Didn't read the thread, but I finally got to watch the game on DVR today.

In the first half, last 6 minutes or so, shot selection was not the best...up 7 at that point. Stay aggressive offensively with better shot selection, and Nebraska should have doubled that lead. Three shot clock vioaltions in the game doesn't helo, either.

Copeland is a great addition to the team...really wished his follow-up dunk would have went down in the 2nd half.

Jordy wasn't the same after the call was reversed to a charge...I know he didn't play as much after that, but he looked better initially. Still needs to finish. And he isn't the only one.

And Roby, that young man needs to be on the floor more; he needs to knock off the unnecessary fouls...although his fourth looked ticky tacky. What a sweet dunk he had in the first half.

Oh, Jack...what a great teammate, but a defensive liability.

I cannot remember the last time Nebraska only shot 3 FTs in a game. The foul trouble for Nebraska certainly didn't help. Again, Roby needed to be on the floor for more than 13 minutes. Watson's fifth foul was ???? Need him on the floor at end of game.

With 2 minutes to go, Creighton only had 62 points...they average 92 a game. The defense has been good. Rebounding didn't help the cause this game.

This team has a chance to do something this year. This game...the FT discrepancy, Nebraska's foul trouble, and rebounding was the difference.

FIrst chance to post on this game. Disappointing loss because it was a rare chance to beat Creighton--which is something that NU needs to do in order to move up a notch or so. This loss doesn't sink the Huskers as there is still a lot of basketball left to be played but this was on opportunity that slipped away and you don't know how many of those you will have as the year progresses.

In the end, Creighton was the better "team". Talent wise, the teams were fairly even but down the stretch, Creighton made the plays they had to. They knew how to play together and they knew how to win. I believe it was Copeland after the game that said something to the effect that we have good players on our team, but we are still learning to come together as a team.

Next up . . . Kansas (ranked #2 but lost today). I don't think this is as bad of a match-up as many of the KU-NU games in the past as I think this NU squad is a bit more athletic than past teams. In year's past, NU tried to play slow tempo and hoped Kansas was asleep whereas this team can compete with Kansas's athleticism--at least to a better degree than past years. It is still going to take a tremendous effort.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back