• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #1, (W, 106-37), Tue, 11/6 vs Mississippi Valley State (#348), @ PBA, 7:00pm CT, BTN Plus

I’m not a huge fan of Ken Pomeroy because his notion of predictability in shooting is based on large numbers. That’s fine, but a basketball team isn’t large numbers, it’s a relatively small segment. 2 good shooters can raise a team from below average to above average in shooting percentage, and vice versa. Running particular offenses can have a huge impact as well. I just think it’s too simplistic to go with the plan of ‘we’re just going to shoot more 3s’, and not consider the strength of your players or the how the offense will create opportunities for the player’s strengths.

Agree with this...let the guys who shoot the ball well shoot more threes.

Gee, Ken, do you think that playing 3 guards and 2 shooting forwards has a little something to do with that? Do you think years of guys only practicing launching from the 3 point line has something to do with that? Heck, no one shoots a midrange jumper anymore, and when the 3 isn’t falling, they don’t have the skills to do anything else. It’s part of the reason the game is as slow and ugly as it gets. The 3 point defense can shut down that part of the game, or the shooting goes cold. The only other option is drive and force up a shot. It’s a main cause of the game becoming one trip to the line after another.

There are 3 NBA guys off the top of my head I can think of who are top scorers and not incredibly good shooting from 3pt. Lebron, Westbrook and Durant all have the ability to shoot the pull up midrange jumper and score well without relying as heavily on the 3.

I get it, it’s supposed to be a math calculation. Most guys shoot about 50% from the field, so the magic number is about 35%. If guys can’t consistently hit 35%, they might as well stick to 2s.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back