• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe for the best?

David3464

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Although it is unfathomable we are 0-6 this season perhaps the struggles this season will ultimately be beneficial in the long-term. First start with the players. It seems we have seen some much needed attrition of me-first and some who did not want to practice hard (ie...bad attitudes or not "bought in"). The rest of the players are getting an education of what it really takes to play in the BIG conference and it is opening their eyes.
Second the coaching staff. The BIG is showing them much the same...they need to up their game to make some noise in this conference. Their are no pushovers in this conference talent or coaching wise for this team at the moment.

Our hope is we finish this year strong with effort/ cleaner play/ gain experience for the younger players (I said earlier this season it is time to start wholesale giving the 2's every 3rd series to gain experience against the conference and to show these players what it will take to compete...also would give them incentive to practice harder the rest of the season)...hope we see this the last 4 games at least.

The future looks bright for us...next season will be tough, but starting in 2020 we should be top-25.

Thoughts?

. The future looks bright for us...next season will be tough, but starting in 2020 we should be top-25.
Thoughts?

I agree with your post, and while I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I hear
“The future is bright” a lot. In fact, we have heard this for years it seems, yet the future keeps sucking.... And while I believe without a doubt Frost can help right the ship, I am far from convinced that it is anywhere near a 2-3 year project now. And I did think that to begin with. By that time, Martinez, Washington and JD are gone. Yes, recruiting is an ongoing battle, but those types of talent are not easy to come by.

Last edited:
Although it is unfathomable we are 0-6 this season perhaps the struggles this season will ultimately be beneficial in the long-term. First start with the players. It seems we have seen some much needed attrition of me-first and some who did not want to practice hard (ie...bad attitudes or not "bought in"). The rest of the players are getting an education of what it really takes to play in the BIG conference and it is opening their eyes.
Second the coaching staff. The BIG is showing them much the same...they need to up their game to make some noise in this conference. Their are no pushovers in this conference talent or coaching wise for this team at the moment.

Our hope is we finish this year strong with effort/ cleaner play/ gain experience for the younger players (I said earlier this season it is time to start wholesale giving the 2's every 3rd series to gain experience against the conference and to show these players what it will take to compete...also would give them incentive to practice harder the rest of the season)...hope we see this the last 4 games at least.

The future looks bright for us...next season will be tough, but starting in 2020 we should be top-25.

Thoughts?

I think that’s a realistic prediction. I firmly believe Frost can field a competitive team in year 3. My confidence that Nebraska can ever be elite again is severely shaken though.

We simply aren’t going to draw enough talent to compete with the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world. You can only coach ‘em up so much. We’ve been trying for a decade to build quality lines, and the players just aren’t coming.

My long-term expectation is a bowl game every year (at least 9 years out of 10) and a run at the West title once every 3 years. Once every 5 years, it’d be cool to see a team have a special season - 10 or 11 wins and a New Year’s Day bowl. I don’t expect to see Nebraska in the playoff in my lifetime unless it expands to 8 teams.

I think that’s a realistic prediction. I firmly believe Frost can field a competitive team in year 3. My confidence that Nebraska can ever be elite again is severely shaken though.

We simply aren’t going to draw enough talent to compete with the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world. You can only coach ‘em up so much. We’ve been trying for a decade to build quality lines, and the players just aren’t coming.

My long-term expectation is a bowl game every year (at least 9 years out of 10) and a run at the West title once every 3 years. Once every 5 years, it’d be cool to see a team have a special season - 10 or 11 wins and a New Year’s Day bowl. I don’t expect to see Nebraska in the playoff in my lifetime unless it expands to 8 teams.
If W can do it so can N. And the style of play will attract the players. I remember Utah spanking Alabama not too long ago. Now there isn't anything better about Utah recruiting wise than N.
Nebraska used to develop good players into all conference types. Do that first and then the elite players will fill in. Everything is going to be ok.

Thoughts?

I have a harder time finding a silver lining in 0-6. The guys who left would have left even if we had won a few games. I would be feeling much better about the current season and the future if we had at least 2 or 3 wins by now.

My confidence in the future had been somewhat shaken by the 0-6 start. While this year's results don't directly affect games in future seasons, I fear that this will hurt us in recruiting. This season will take some shine off of Frost's standing and in perceptions about if/when this will get turned around.

There's a much better story to tell after a 6-6 season in year one vs. a 2-10 season.

If W can do it so can N. And the style of play will attract the players. I remember Utah spanking Alabama not too long ago. Now there isn't anything better about Utah recruiting wise than N.
Nebraska used to develop good players into all conference types. Do that first and then the elite players will fill in. Everything is going to be ok.

Wisconsin produces a lot of big bodied kids. In any given year, there are 5 to 7 legit P5 prospects just for the O and D lines. Nebraska is lucky to produce 5 prospects total.

Time was, NU could even the playing field with partial qualifiers and walk-ons. Partial qualifiers are long gone, and Nebraska high school football is a shell of its former self. Tom was also a rock star recruiter - bested only by Switzer and possibly Bowden in his time.

Nebraska can surprise some people in an exceptional year (like Utah over ‘Bama or Boise St. over OU) but it won’t be sustainable.

This isn’t gloom and dooming as much as it is reality. Wisconsin will be better than Nebraska in most years. They have the prep numbers and the system to leverage them.

I’m very confident in saying Nebraska is going to remain in the second tier of the Big Ten regardless of who the coach is.

Last edited:
I think there is a silver lining here also. This is the last year of the Bo Pelini recruits. Some of these seniors are some of the no buy-in guys eventhough they talk differently. Same guys didn't buy into Riley either. Not all but some! There has been discontent on this team for quite a while now. Time for the young hungry guys

I’m not convinced we don’t have the talent on this team to win nine games this season. Multitude of forces have conspired to keep that from happening. Plenty of blame to go around. We don’t need to finish 2-10 to create a base to build from for next season, but appears that is where things are headed.
I’m not convinced this needs to be a three to five year rebuild. We have the talent on hand to compete for the big ten west in 2019. No need to kick that can down the road. If I had a dollar for every “in two years we will be competitive” post that has been posted on HuskerMax the past twenty years....

Wisconsin produces a lot of big bodied kids. In any given year, there are 5 to 7 legit P5 prospects just for the O and D lines. Nebraska is lucky to produce 5 prospects total.

Time was, NU could even the playing field with partial qualifiers and walk-ons. Partial qualifiers are long gone, and Nebraska high school football is a shell of Tom was also a rock star recruiter - bested only by Switzer and possibly Bowden in his time.

Nebraska can surprise some people in an exceptional year (like Utah over ‘Bama or Boise St. over OU) but it won’t be sustainable.

This isn’t gloom and dooming as much as it is reality. Wisconsin will be better than Nebraska in most years. They have the prep numbers and the system to leverage them.

I’m very confident in saying Nebraska is going to remain in the second tier of the Big Ten regardless of who the coach is.

Nebraska was great because they had continuity, have to get that back again. You get good at something when you do it long enough.
And I am just not buying W out recruiting N. Nu spends enormous amounts of $ on it and are able to win the 500 mile radius, the Davis twins for one example. There are a few NU kids headed to Iowa and other schools each year as well because previous staffs thought they could do better. Stop that as well. NU has everything it needs in place to be successful, now it has to execute.

Nebraska was great because they had continuity, have to get that back again. You get good at something when you do it long enough.
And I am just not buying W out recruiting N. Nu spends enormous amounts of $ on it and are able to win the 500 mile radius, the Davis twins for one example. There are a few NU kids headed to Iowa and other schools each year as well because previous staffs thought they could do better. Stop that as well. NU has everything it needs in place to be successful, now it has to execute.

Continuity was certainly a part of it. The bigger part was that Tom Osborne is one of the 5 best college football coaches to ever walk the earth.

I do agree that stability affords Nebraska its best chance to compete. I wouldn’t complain a bit if Frost were given a Kirk Ferentz-like contract.

The future will only look as bright as the recruiting is successful.

Wisconsin will be better than Nebraska in most years. They have the prep numbers and the system to leverage them. I’m very confident in saying Nebraska is going to remain in the second tier of the Big Ten regardless of who the coach is.

I tend to agree with this however last season SF won a NC with 2 and 3 star players...with a team whose recruiting rankings were far below Nebraska' normal top-30 recruiting classes.

Those 2nd tier UCF recruits beat Auburn last year and beat Pittsburg this year much more thoroughly than Notre Dame did.

Under SF, I am not ready to concede perennial 2nd tier status for Husker football.

Last edited:

I tend to agree with this however last season SF won a NC with 2 and 3 star players...with a team whose recruiting rankings were far below Nebraska' normal top-30 recruiting classes.

Those 2nd tier UCF recruits beat Auburn last year and beat Pittsburg this year much more thoroughly than Notre Dame did.

Under SF, I am not ready to concede perennial 2nd tier status for Husker football.
Then, how far down the recruiting chain are we? Not good!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back