• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maurice Washington Admitted as FULL QUALIFIER

Well, not really. I was involved in education as a teacher/campus administrator/central office administrator for 36 years, 31 of them in Texas. If you go online and look at the Texas curriculum and requirements for graduation, it looks pretty stringent. You have to pass five End of Course exams in Texas to graduate. However, for example, to pass the Algebra I EOC exam, you only need to get 37% of the problems correct, and you have multiple opportunities to do that. Most of the problems are multiple choice, so someone guessing wildly will get around a 25%. Plus, "graduation committees" can circumvent most of the requirements. Theoretically, you can only have a maximum of 10 absences a year to be able to earn credit in a course. What a joke. I have seen these committees approve a student with 60+ absences for graduation. And I could go on and on. The point is that a high school diploma from a lot of schools means very little. In many instances, SAT and ACT scores are the only level ground that colleges have to judge the quality of education a student receives.
Maybe they need to seriously look at the accreditation for Texas high schools. I spent 34 years as a teacher and administrator in Pennsylvania and can honestly say I never heard of such corruption.

Maybe they need to seriously look at the accreditation for Texas high schools. I spent 34 years as a teacher and administrator in Pennsylvania and can honestly say I never heard of such corruption.
Well, the problem is really with the legislature. They have put the public school system in a no-win situation. If the schools take a hard line and fail those who deserve to be failed, then the Texas Education Agency puts the district on probation for failing too many. If the district takes advantage of loopholes, then students who don't deserve to graduate take advantage of the system. That is a big reason I retired. As with any system, there are some very good schools, and some that are not so great.

Well, standardized test scores are actually, in general, somewhat good predictors of college success. Those with higher standardized test scores do slightly better in college than those with low scores. But you do cite an interesting exception to the rule. I had a good friend in high school who was given a four year Regents' Scholarship to UNL because of his SAT score. He flunked out after a year because he never learned how to study. Everything in high school came easy to him. Yes, if you never had to study and you do well on standardized tests, you become an outlier statistically.

I was lazy in HS and didn’t have great grades, but I got a high ACT score and got some college paid for. Several classmates who got better grades but lower ACT scores got less money. In my class there didn’t seem to be anyone who got either good grades or a good ACT score and then struggled in college.

Last edited:
He still won’t qualify, he will have to sit out 2018. But he will be able to get to campus. It’s also dicey about his ACT score. Has some work to do. Hoping for good news in July tho.

Are you saying it’s impossible for him to qualify for 2018?

I translate that to mean he started seriously considering academics too late (considering he went to four high schools) to reasonably be expected to catch up this summer. Not impossible, but highly unreasonable expectation. If he does it, great. If he doesn't, probably a result of his situation. Can you imagine the administrative mess if you went to four high schools.

Are you saying it’s impossible for him to qualify for 2018?
The coaches have basically said if he graduates, he will be lacking core courses to qualify, thus they will apply for an academic waiver. In other words his best case scenario at NU for 2018 is a redshirt while he works on qualifying academically to play in 2019. Worst case is he never enrolls.

Well, standardized test scores are actually, in general, somewhat good predictors of college success. Those with higher standardized test scores do slightly better in college than those with low scores. But you do cite an interesting exception to the rule. I had a good friend in high school who was given a four year Regents' Scholarship to UNL because of his SAT score. He flunked out after a year because he never learned how to study. Everything in high school came easy to him. Yes, if you never had to study and you do well on standardized tests, you become an outlier statistically.
I had a friend with really good grades that got a 14 on his ACT. His mom did most of his homework for him.

RedRum, sounds like your friend's Mom is the only one that earned the good grades along with an F in parenting. Your friend got what he earned on the ACT.

As a parent, this is one of my pet peeves as well one for my elementary teacher spouse and her sibling educators too ... parental involvement in a child's education is probably one of the most important things we can do for our kids beginning w/ reading to them beginning as a baby or toddler. All the money in the world can cannot overcome the lack of parental interest in their child's education!

I'm hopeful that Mr. Washington can attain the score that he needs to get admitted with an academic waiver, but truthfully I'm not counting on it. Really hope he proves me wrong and crosses the stage with a baccalaureate degree in hand in about four years along with having completed a highly successful career wearing the Scarlet and Cream.

Ok, rant over ... GBR!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him to make it here
fingers-crossed.jpg

The mother of on of my daughter's friends reviewed and edited every paper the child ever handed in both in high school and all the way through college. She desperately wanted her daughter to get into med school. She did.

I wish Maurice the best on his ACT, just kill it!!! Stay focused and Make it happen!!!GBR!!!

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

"All he has to do now to make it to Nebraska, he said, is get a 20 on his ACT exam, which he is set to take July 24."

"Should Washington score a 20 or better on his ACT exam, he isn’t sure if he and Nebraska will have to apply for an academic waiver.

But if he gets the score he needs, he will head to Lincoln no matter what, Washington said."

I've never taken the ACT does anyone know how hard it is to get a 20 on it?

Last edited:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

"All he has to do now to make it to Nebraska, he said, is get a 20 on his ACT exam, which he is set to take July 24."

"Should Washington score a 20 or better on his ACT exam, he isn’t sure if he and Nebraska will have to apply for an academic waiver.

But if he gets the score he needs, he will head to Lincoln no matter what, Washington said."

I got drunk the night before and got a 27 so there's that. I'm not an overly smart guy.

Last edited:

Either careless reporting or Maurice is not sure when the test date is. The last 2017-18 ACT test date is actually July 14th. If he shows up on July 24th, he will be taking the test by himself. I hope that he has already registered since that deadline has already come and gone. Also, I am curious where he will take the test. Isn't he in California right now? The asterisk at the bottom of the page states that there are no test centers in California for the July 14th test date. While a score of 20 is not difficult to attain, I question that is the score he needs to become eligible given all of the academic troubles he has had. I really don't expect the NCAA Clearinghouse to clear him for the 2018 season, and if they do, that decision will not be made for some time.

https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/Test-Date-Schedule-National-2017-2018.pdf

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back