• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maurice Washington Admitted as FULL QUALIFIER

Is there any more detail in the pay article?
Once he graduates next week, what more does he have left to do to qualify?

I just read that all he has to do is get a 20 on the ACT on July 20th and he is ours.
I believe the article says the ACT exam in on the 24th, but who cares the date. If he passes then he is on his way to Lincoln.

Anybody know how long it takes to get results back from an ACT exam?

Even if he doesn't get his 20, if he graduates that may say he completed a satisfactory core curriculum, and if he doesn't have that core curriculum, I think that is when the academic red shirt process would kick in and he could be admitted, get a scholarship, but couldn't play until the following year (someone more knowledgeable than I should correct that if its wrong).

So we should be hoping that the rumors are true about graduating, and then wait for the rest.

I believe the article says the ACT exam in on the 24th, but who cares the date. If he passes then he is on his way to Lincoln.

Anybody know how long it takes to get results back from an ACT exam?
The ACT's and SAT's are overrated. If the high school curriculum is certified there should be no need for these tests. Their results are overused to determine a student's qualifications. It's about time these "money making" scams are retired.

Is there any more detail in the pay article?
Once he graduates next week, what more does he have left to do to qualify?
He still won’t qualify, he will have to sit out 2018. But he will be able to get to campus. It’s also dicey about his ACT score. Has some work to do. Hoping for good news in July tho.

The ACT's and SAT's are overrated. If the high school curriculum is certified there should be no need for these tests. Their results are overused to determine a student's qualifications. It's about time these "money making" scams are retired.
Well, not really. I was involved in education as a teacher/campus administrator/central office administrator for 36 years, 31 of them in Texas. If you go online and look at the Texas curriculum and requirements for graduation, it looks pretty stringent. You have to pass five End of Course exams in Texas to graduate. However, for example, to pass the Algebra I EOC exam, you only need to get 37% of the problems correct, and you have multiple opportunities to do that. Most of the problems are multiple choice, so someone guessing wildly will get around a 25%. Plus, "graduation committees" can circumvent most of the requirements. Theoretically, you can only have a maximum of 10 absences a year to be able to earn credit in a course. What a joke. I have seen these committees approve a student with 60+ absences for graduation. And I could go on and on. The point is that a high school diploma from a lot of schools means very little. In many instances, SAT and ACT scores are the only level ground that colleges have to judge the quality of education a student receives.

I just read that all he has to do is get a 20 on the ACT on July 20th and he is ours.
I just looked up 2017-18 ACT test dates, and July 14th is the final exam date, but there are no test sites in California for the July administration. Assuming he got his registration in (the deadline for that test has passed), he will have to travel to another state to take it.

Well, not really. I was involved in education as a teacher/campus administrator/central office administrator for 36 years, 31 of them in Texas. If you go online and look at the Texas curriculum and requirements for graduation, it looks pretty stringent. You have to pass five End of Course exams in Texas to graduate. However, for example, to pass the Algebra I EOC exam, you only need to get 37% of the problems correct, and you have multiple opportunities to do that. Most of the problems are multiple choice, so someone guessing wildly will get around a 25%. Plus, "graduation committees" can circumvent most of the requirements. Theoretically, you can only have a maximum of 10 absences a year to be able to earn credit in a course. What a joke. I have seen these committees approve a student with 60+ absences for graduation. And I could go on and on. The point is that a high school diploma from a lot of schools means very little. In many instances, SAT and ACT scores are the only level ground that colleges have to judge the quality of education a student receives.
I remember a guy who owned a small business in CA once told me. He was more impressed with a GED than a CA high school diploma. The guy with the GED actually had to prove he knew something.

The point is that a high school diploma from a lot of schools means very little. In many instances, SAT and ACT scores are the only level ground that colleges have to judge the quality of education a student receives.

You would think the standardized tests provide a level ground for comparison, but they're actually a relatively poor predictor of success in college. High school grades, despite all the variation among schools and regions in rigor and in grading, are better predictors. Students with lower grades and higher SAT/ACT scores tend to do worse in college than students with higher grades and lower SAT/ACT scores. This makes intuitive sense. Students who work harder in high school are more likely to work harder in college. This why a lot of colleges are going test optional, a movement that has spread to some elite schools like Chicago.

Last edited:

From what little I know - To be eligible to play MW will need more than just a graduation certificate. He must complete a certain number of math and science courses. Also, the minimum score needed on his ACT or SAT is determined by his GPA. If he has a great GPA he does not need a great ACT/SAT. If he has a low GPA he will need a good ACT/SAT.

Last edited:
You would think the standardized tests provide a level ground for comparison, but they're actually a relatively poor predictor of success in college. High school grades, despite all the variation among schools and regions in rigor and in grading, are better predictors. Students with lower grades and higher SAT/ACT scores tend to do worse in college than students with higher grades and lower SAT/ACT scores. This makes intuitive sense. Students who work harder in high school are more likely to work harder in college. This why a lot of colleges are going test optional, a movement that has spread to some elite schools like Chicago.
Well, standardized test scores are actually, in general, somewhat good predictors of college success. Those with higher standardized test scores do slightly better in college than those with low scores. But you do cite an interesting exception to the rule. I had a good friend in high school who was given a four year Regents' Scholarship to UNL because of his SAT score. He flunked out after a year because he never learned how to study. Everything in high school came easy to him. Yes, if you never had to study and you do well on standardized tests, you become an outlier statistically.

Last edited:

From what little I know - To be eligible to play MW will need more than just a graduation certificate. He must complete a certain number of math and science courses. Also, the minimum score needed on his ACT or SAT is determined by his GPA. If he has a great GPA he does not need a great ACT/SAT. If he has a low GPA he will need a good ACT/SAT.
That is correct. The minimum ACT score he needs will be determined by his high school GPA, and he will have to be certified by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back