• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez is the starter

Martinez certainly had the better game. Gebbia was ok, just seemed like several throws didn't have enough life on them, but they were the right targets, and I think that's correctable. Competition isn't over yet, but it's between them. Yes, Bunch is a good story, and looked good at times, but he runs about the ugliest option I've ever seen, good to have a hard worker on the depth chart, but he just doesn't strike me as a starter who's going to take us places. Vedral, thanks for showing up, here's your clipboard, make sure we don't run out of gatorade.

Last edited:

I think Martinez is more me ball and will look to run first. Gebbia is game manger and has some real intangibles with work ethic and learning. Gebbia started with a penalty in that first with a big pass play. If he has that not called back I think the conversation is different. Speilman and Morgan were not playing. I think things are really different in game situation I still see more upside with Gebbia. Martinez has not been hit on that shoulder yet. We need a dual threat that is pass first and run second. The QB is not a star runner in this offense.
I believe Frost said that the offense works with the personnel. Some of the time it’s going to be more reliant on a good passer, other times on a good runner. Which ever gives us the best opportunity, that’s the person we’ll play, and the style we’ll lean heavier on.

Not sure who the starter will be, but I’m kind of surprised Vedral didn’t look like the best QB out there. From my casual observations from one scrimmage I’d put them at:
1. A-Mart
2. Jebbia errr Gebbia (who knew I’ve been saying it wrong this whole time)
3. Bunch
4. Vedral

I agree. I also think TG will have better chemistry with the two WR that were not in today. For that guy that said SM should have gone pro because he will not play. Well that is just silly. So I hope it was a joke.
Why would TG have better chemistry with the other two receivers than any other QB? They are all getting the same amount of reps. Are you then saying that AM will have better chemistry with the new guys?

Why would TG have better chemistry with the other two receivers than any other QB? They are all getting the same amount of reps. Are you then saying that AM will have better chemistry with the new guys?
because he practiced with them starting during the spring and fall last year. It has also been reported that both of those guys stay late with TG after practice. That develops timing.

I'll have to watch the game again as the first time was sitting in a bar and not real conducive to seeing everything but as one person next to me said. Martinez has the "it" factor. He is more likely to stretch the defenses and send more defensive coordinators into ulcers than the others. I think the QB's are all serviceable but it could very likely ending up being a Frazier/Berringer repeat.

As a side note. Our QB's for the last 4 years have had some of the most zip on their passes than we have ever had at NU. I think many are trying to read something into the 90% thing that isn't there. TG under threw 3 receivers yesterday. Was he lacking zip?

I agree that Martinez looked the best, Gebbia looked second best, and the other two seem to have some catching up to do. But remember, that Martinez and Gebbia were playing against the SECOND STRING DEFENSE. Would they have looked as good against the first string defense? Would Bunch & Vedral look better against the second string defense? In my opinion, the the job is still wide open. None of the QBs could even be tackled in the spring game, that could also bring out a lot of changes. It may not, but it could.

Last edited:

tsk tsk - word filter my friend. /s

First of all I'm not your friend and its obvious that 'is' was was meant to be "his' and 'he'll"
' meant to be 'hell' Typed on my phone thus the mistake. Neither of which were word filter violations regardless. In the future if you think someone has actually violated the filter then report it

RR

Last edited:
Post game guys made a point that Martinez is much more "Frost's guy" than Gebbia. He will get every opportunity to take the job. If it's even it is his.

I always hate that his guy's stuff. In the end 'his guy's hopefully will be the guy who gives us the best chance to win more games and take the program forward

The BTN Post Game guys were trying hard to not to say Gebbia was the pass guy and Martinez the run guy. Just more talk which is okay as long as its understood that is all it is

Bottom line a lot of things being speculated that may or may not have any basis in fact

Fall Camp is going to be very interesting this year at QB and a few other positions

Last edited:
We don't have a #1 QB right now. The truth is they all have warts and are not hiding them. A recruit could easily come in and steal the job at this point.

I kno
When you have a horse that so destroys the competition, you don't get a lot of guys willing to take you on. Secretariat ran the fastest time ever run for all three of the triple crown races, without any other horse being good enough to push him to his best. Today's triple crown races are filled with pretenders for every open gate spot...lots of horses that aren't expected to be competitive, just there so that their owners/trainers can be mentioned in the media and the historic record books...virtual frauds. A different time alright, but the race clock doesn't lie.

Go to about the 2:30 mark, if you are not willing to give up a couple minutes of your time:
Secretariat would've beaten American Pharoah by about 18 length's.

I know, Secretariat was the best race horse of a generation......Just seemed funny seeing that few of horses actually racing for something so prestigious as the Preakness.

We don't have a #1 QB right now. The truth is they all have warts and are not hiding them. A recruit could easily come in and steal the job at this point.

I'm not sure I understand this. Overall I didn't see enough warts to believe any new recruit could easily take over a starting job. If anything I saw it exactly opposite. Just my opinion though.

Martinez was blind to the pressure. He had the penny on that didn't let him get hit. He would have got hit from dangerous angles yesterday because he's playing tunnel vision. Sure he can run, but he's also pretty much trying to get it done by himself. He's a little on the fragile side IMO to carry a B1G season with that recklessness. He better sharpen up or he won't make it to conference play.

I'm pretty confident that this year's starter played yesterday. There isn't a recruit yet to come this year who is beating Martinez, Gebbia or Bunch out. And I don't think a grad transfer is happening. Meyer won't let Burrow come even if he wants to. I don't think we want the Hurts family show coming to town. And I don't think Frost will want to take the chance of fracturing the locker room or QB room with a one year guy at this point. He has 3 eligible QBs who have been in the system a very short time . . . but that seem to be "getting it" already. I think he rides with what he has.

Anyone brand new would have to pick up the system in the fall, too . . . and these 3 will be that much farther ahead by then with a summer of working out and studying the playbook.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back