• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez is the starter

I saw one trick play, I don't know what you saw. Having watched Vedral when he played at CFU, I was a little disappointed in his play today. There could be lots of reasons that he didn't play real well. He may have been getting over the sickness everyone has or he may just be getting it. He was the least impressive of the 4 today.
One was Bunch in the backfield the other was a halfback pass right? Or was that another QB?

for today the leader is Martinez, tie between bunch and gebbia, vedral number 4. for the end of august it's anyones guess . all 4 will be better by fall. absolutely believe we will need 3 guys to get thru the coming season. looks like a lot of fun ahead of us and maybe a few downers.

No no no... Daishon Neal, Martinez, Mazour and others solidified themselves.
What did you see that makes you think Mazour solidified himself? From what I see he had one long run; untouched, so I think Bell or Wilbon would have made a similar play. Other than that one run, he had 3.3 YPC. Bell had 54 yds on 8 carries for 6.75 YPC.

No no no... Daishon Neal, Martinez, Mazour and others solidified themselves.
What did you see that makes you think Mazour solidified himself? From what I see he had one long run; untouched, so I think Bell or Wilbon would have made a similar play. Other than that one run, he had 3.3 YPC. Bell had 54 yds on 8 carries for 6.75 YPC.
Check your sarcasm detector....
Ah, thanks.

Another thing to consider in this battle is that AM has 20 lbs on TG as a true freshman and it showed. He just looks like a better, quicker, stronger athlete. Whether he ends up being a better QB is to be seen. IMO he stood out. Unless you see TG as a 3 year starter I don't know why you would redshirt AM (unless the shoulder needs more time). I wouldn't worry about TG leaving if he's #2....he's always one play away from the field in this offense.

- Martinez looks like he's going to be a baller for NU, could be this year, maybe next.

-We're lucky to have three guys that can all run the offense this year if need be.

-Play the spring game again tomorrow and the results could easily be skewed favoring one of the other QB's.

You don't redshirt the true freshman that looks much the best, even if his arm is only 90%. The competition will continue but the others are playing from far behind right now. SF won't say too much until fall because he really doesn't want Gebbia to bail out (ala Sham in the Belmont).

Martinez= Secratariat

Gebbia, Bunch, Vedral, Masker = the field

Last edited:

Regardless of who it is, both guys better be ready to go. The QB is going to get hit, and hit often in this offense. One play away from being in there.

Personally, I thought both showed some good things. Still have a redshirt available for Martinez. Does Gebbia leave if Martinez is the guy? That would leave NU extremely thin. Questions that need answered. Should be interesting.
I don't see Gebia running away if he's not the starter. He's too smart he knows he's going to play a lot of QB for this team. I see a battle to the end of Fall camp and both will play this season.

I feel pretty good about the quarterback situation as well but distinctly remember my best friend texting me from the spring game last year. Paraphrasing a bit but when Tanner Lee hit Spielman for that long touchdown pass, it went something along the lines of Nebraska finally found their NFL caliber quarterback and we would finally be back!
If Riley benches Lee last season after the Northern Illinois game Gebia may have saved the season and his job. The young man can read the defense and has a very accurate arm, he's like having a coach on the field.
It's going to be very difficult to ignore Martinez 's ability to make things happen. It's a nice problem to have.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back