• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Mapieu Now Headed to LA Lafayette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up 15 miles from York and most of my family graduated from York. I know he was in McCool for a short period of time but was he in York during his entire high school?

We don't know the entire story here but I have no idea how a kid who shows up to school every day doesnt get passed along thru the system. I was no rockstar student but when I was struggling in a class the teachers would make me come in after to study. York is a very small community that is very supportive.

There is something wrong with this whole story line. Kid committed, now won’t, can’t sign. All seems a little strange to me.

There is something wrong with this whole story line. Kid committed, now won’t, can’t sign. All seems a little strange to me.

I think he needs the full semester to see if he'll qualify at NU. The coaches don't want to risk having him sign next week only to have him fall short in May if they can use that scholarship on a definite qualifier.

which is being speculated by the local newspapers, it makes the Bryson Williams situation even more embarrassing on the part of the previous staff. In my opinion they passed up on the quicker, more athletic, more productive and stronger player. Apparently they also passed up on the more intelligent and/or mature player also. Just an all around terrible decision to ignore one of the most talented players in the state. I think Bryson will go on to have a very solid career at UW. I hope Mapieu qualifies and has a great career at Nebraska but Williams was the better overall recruit to pursue when factoring in on-field and off-field performance. Both were worthy of offers though.
While they were being recruited for two different positions, I get what you are trying to say. They should have offered both of them, with hindsight of course. But Williams wasn't a "fit" for Diaco. It's crazy, if we didn't have Diaco as our DC none of this may be even talked about and we may have offered in the spring last year. But when he came in our whole recruiting board was blown up. Forget Bryson for a second, but four stars like Calvin Avery were told we all of a sudden were looking for something different. Now granted, he ended up signing with Illinois, but also a couple of the Missouri kids we all of a sudden stopped talking to that were getting heavy-hitter offers.

Was just a weird situation. I don't blame them for offering Mapieu, if they didn't and he went to UCLA or Iowa people would just add him to the list of linemen this state has produced that we didn't keep in our own backyard.

I don’t have problem if an in state kid is offered and chooses to go elsewhere.

My problem has always been with not offering good football players living in Nebraska that can help the team. There is too few of them to pass up just because they might rate someone out of state a little better.

I think Scott Frost and his staff get this. I don’t think Bo, MR, or Callahan ever did.

While they were being recruited for two different positions, I get what you are trying to say. They should have offered both of them, with hindsight of course. But Williams wasn't a "fit" for Diaco. It's crazy, if we didn't have Diaco as our DC none of this may be even talked about and we may have offered in the spring last year. But when he came in our whole recruiting board was blown up. Forget Bryson for a second, but four stars like Calvin Avery were told we all of a sudden were looking for something different. Now granted, he ended up signing with Illinois, but also a couple of the Missouri kids we all of a sudden stopped talking to that were getting heavy-hitter offers.

Was just a weird situation. I don't blame them for offering Mapieu, if they didn't and he went to UCLA or Iowa people would just add him to the list of linemen this state has produced that we didn't keep in our own backyard.

The Mike Riley Era is going to be a black hole that DONU fans will soon forget as the Frost era expands.
Weird and non wonderful things happened, the sole good thing was the black hole drew the Frost team back to Lincoln!

I don’t have problem if an in state kid is offered and chooses to go elsewhere.

My problem has always been with not offering good football players living in Nebraska that can help the team. There is too few of them to pass up just because they might rate someone out of state a little better.

I think Scott Frost and his staff get this. I don’t think Bo, MR, or Callahan ever did.
I would agree with you... here's where my "I don't think there's a right answer" devils advocate comes into play...

Let's take 2016 for example. Kansas State comes right in to Lincoln and grabs Nick Lenners from Lincoln Southwest. I literally had an FCS coach tell me "I had to go look back at the tape and see what I missed" because he didn't offer him and he offers everyone from Nebraska worth a poop. He hasn't done much as of yet in Manhattan. But in 2015 Kansas State came into Seward and grabbed Adam Holtorf, who started at center for the Wildcats as a redshirt freshman this year.

So where do you draw the line? There's always going to be schools like Iowa State, Wyoming, Kansas State that push our metric down for guys and make things get "iffy". I think we can all agree we don't need to lose an in-state guy like Bryson to Wisconsin. But how great would Ghaifan from Grand Island Central Catholic be looking for our DL right now? They are projecting him in the draft and Craig Bohl found him and got him to Wyoming.

I grew up 15 miles from York and most of my family graduated from York. I know he was in McCool for a short period of time but was he in York during his entire high school?

We don't know the entire story here but I have no idea how a kid who shows up to school every day doesnt get passed along thru the system. I was no rockstar student but when I was struggling in a class the teachers would make me come in after to study. York is a very small community that is very supportive.
Agreed.....you either have to be real "lacking" academically or York doesn't care as much about the $$ behind the good intentioned, but bad program of "no kid left behind".
I have two great examples of that misguided "no kid left behind" program.
1) I know an 8th grade teacher in Lincoln and she told me they ONLY fail a kid, no matter how bad their grades are, if they "physically/sexually attack a teacher or other student" or "don't show up for school enough". She said she was "pressured" to pass students she said wouldn't pass the 3rd grade in the subject she taught because they lose $$ for every student that doesn't pass.
2) In my Fire job with the feds, part of my duties is that I teach, organize, physically train, and take Job Corps students out on RX/fires all over the US as fire fighters. I had one kid, a product of one of the Omaha schools, who had his HS diploma but if he wrote a sentence with 20 words, 18 were misspelled. If I gave him a page 20 easy "6+4=" type of questions, he missed 18....He couldn't construct a sentence correctly...I mean a great kid (and, in case you are wondering, a white kid from a good background, no "thug" life at all) but absolutely no academic skills whatsoever. I will say he told me he did 3 years at one Omaha HS who took academics seriously and when it was evident he wouldn't graduate, he transferred to another Omaha HS known for passing EVERY ONE....and it was true in this case.
Sorry to get off track but it, IMO, takes A LOT to not graduate HS in today's world. Not slamming Mapieu at all, JMO.

If grades aren't there, they just aren't! I don't worry so much about losing players to Wyoming, KSU , Iowa, etc. We need to be better than those programs. Yes the Iowa kids bite us in the butt when we play but that is a problem with the program and not the individual players

I would agree with you... here's where my "I don't think there's a right answer" devils advocate comes into play...

Let's take 2016 for example. Kansas State comes right in to Lincoln and grabs Nick Lenners from Lincoln Southwest. I literally had an FCS coach tell me "I had to go look back at the tape and see what I missed" because he didn't offer him and he offers everyone from Nebraska worth a poop. He hasn't done much as of yet in Manhattan. But in 2015 Kansas State came into Seward and grabbed Adam Holtorf, who started at center for the Wildcats as a redshirt freshman this year.

So where do you draw the line? There's always going to be schools like Iowa State, Wyoming, Kansas State that push our metric down for guys and make things get "iffy". I think we can all agree we don't need to lose an in-state guy like Bryson to Wisconsin. But how great would Ghaifan from Grand Island Central Catholic be looking for our DL right now? They are projecting him in the draft and Craig Bohl found him and got him to Wyoming.

I completely understand what you are saying. you can miss on a kid from out of state just as easily as you can an in state kid. I would rather be wrong with the in state kid.

If Iowa is coming in and offering guys like Ott and Bazata, I guess I think that warrants a look by Nebraska. Sorry but if I am on Nebraska’s staff I have to know Iowa is pretty good at talent evaluation.

exactly! and now with Masry not qualifying it really throws egg on the face of the previous staff even more, they would have been completely left out in the cold this cycle. With that being said, I hope Masry gets either a gray shirt offer or we pick him up at IWCC next year. Either way we can make it work for both sides. Its unfortunate, but it can still be overcome.

I'm fully on board with not allowing him to sign. I've seen him play and wasn't sold, but I trust JP to evaluate DL talent more than me. That said, these guys need players who can run their system and fit their culture. If this were year 4 and we were rolling, maybe take the risk. But it's not. I'm tired of us not oversigning and having scholarships floating around. If he can't qualify in May, we are looking for a senior walk on to give that scholly to. No. Fill the class. Get to the 85+ and tell Masry if he qualifies and they have more attrition than expected, they'll revisit in May.
Yep.

If we get to May and he does qualify AND there happens to be a scholie available, the coaches could reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back