• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Many of us may not have realized Nebraska has a Men's basketball team

I have been chugging the koolaid since the very first day we were lucky enough to get Tim Miles! We could lose out for the rest of the season and I will still back the man up! GASP!!!!! I"M A LOVER!

A stinking lover at that! :lol:

You might be surprised to know that I am likely close to the #1 most realistic (some call me negative) Husker fan of all sports combined on this BBS. There isn't a coach in the past 10 years -- for any sport -- that I haven't been highly critical of at some point. I'm basically a "I'll believe it when I see it" type of fan. I do not drink any Husker Koolaid. I create the Koolaid when it's an appropriate time to stir and share.

For many years, my passion for Husker hoops was equal to that of the football team. I looked forward to attending the basketball games more during my years in college than the football games (1987-91).

And I generally have a Merle-like attitude regarding our basketball team. I trashed Doc Sadler over and over for his lack of coaching ability during his last 3 years or so at UNL. About the same with Collier. I have waited for what seems like forever to see a breakthrough type of win for this program. Now, no realistic clue if we will build on last Sunday's win, but it was big. I challenge anyone to name a bigger victory over the past 5-6 years (probably longer than that).

And be 100% certain, that win over Michigan State will have more impact than the loss in Ann Arbor, if it gets to the point where the Selection Committee is considering Nebraska.

I can vouch for you, HWM. I have seen, many times, your being critical of all the coaches. Yes, indeedy! ;)

How so? With each new loss by MSU without Dawson, the greatness of the win is diminished. MSU lost again today.

With each new win by NU (bringing them closer to the big dance) the MSU win becomes more significant, but all of our wins become more significant at the same rate.

I said earlier in the thread that the MSU win would only qualify as "great" if NU didn't proceed to crap the bed. They've done the exact opposite and have spanked the last 2 opponents. If the MSU win is the catalyst that helps propel NU into the tourney then it most definitely will be a "great win". And if NU does make the tourney I don't think there's any other way to look at the MSU game other than the proverbial "turning point".

Personally I don't think MSU is all that great a team...they are proving that. But that doesn't change what it could end up meaning to NU. And I've been consistent with that message throughout this thread. My comments were not meant to "belittle" NU's win. Only to show that "great wins" don't mean squat if you fold after them.

Last edited:
Since I started this thread I guess I can be called a Kool-aiders. I don't know how you are certain we can't also see reality. As Miles as progressed I've given him kudos over on the basketball board. When we stunk early in the season at times, and after Michigan, I argued that upward progress is not a straight line path, and we need to continue to have patience. And anyway, I haven't seen anyone on the basketball board say we will go 6-0.

I think kool-aiders are much more realistic than you give them credit for. I don't know why you are down on people celebrating this win.

Because despite all that, Miles unquestionably DOES have this team on a steep upward trajectory at this moment. That makes this a big win. That doesn't tell us how far this trajectory will end up taking us, And anyway, nobody said it meant we were a top team in the Big 10. Being 6th at this point, deservedly so, is a freaking AMAZING achievement.

So excuse me while I and my kool aid drunken friends celebrate it. ;)

Well, there you go, huskernut!! :) :cheers:

How about this...it's a great win if NU is able to build upon it. In the unlikely even NU craps the bed against PSU and Purdue the Michigan State game will ultimately mean very very little.

True. That's what Miles said about it in his presser, "It's big if you build on it. If you don't it's just noise."

If he agrees with me he must be a smart man. ;)

:Biggrin:

I think that's how each of us decide if someone else is smart, isn't it? ;)

I feel pretty smart when I agree with myself.

It's good that you've found somebody.

Well, it's sure good to know yourselves! :)

You still think beating MSU is a great win? Not when compared to these gems:

1. The 1959 meeting between NU and Oklahoma in Football...often considered Nebraska’s biggest upset ever. On that day, unranked Nebraska defeated highly-ranked Oklahoma 25–21 in Lincoln, ending Oklahoma's 74-game Big 8 conference win streak. :banana:

2. 1971. Nebraska 35, Oklahoma 31. Anytime you win the game of the century, you have without question achieved a great win. :banana:

Those are two examples of legitimate great wins. The NU BB team's win over MSU is dwarfed by those two wins...therefore it cannot qualify as a great win. I good win, a nice win, an upset win, and unexpected win...yes, definitely....but not a great win when compared to the truly great wins in Husker history.

Now, you need to go print this out, cumple it up and smoke it in your pipe instead of that other stuff you have been using lately.

Just give it up, ok? You refuse to recognize why most of here are celebrating the win, plus the other wins that have followed to this day.

Pride goeth before you, if you ask me. Yeh, I know, don't come back with, I didn't ask you! Again, give it a rest. No one likes the way you are tearing down a wonderful win for our growing Husker basketball team. One step at a time, and this was a huge step in the right direction.

:gobigred:

Last edited:
Again...with your overly emotional response. Because I don't share in calling it a "great win" I hate the huskers. Weak sauce. There are varying degrees of opinions on what that game means. From nothing (1) to the greatest win in program history (10). I call it a 7. I get the impression you'd call it a 9.5. It's ok that we don't agree.

I get the impression you don't see the fun I'm having with you on this subject........Aww well.....:lol:

Well, enough has been said of this win over MSU. It is time to put it to bed. Just sorry, Paramus cannot enjoy a win that shows we are improving more than any other year, since the good old days in the late 90's!

To close, since that Mich St game, we have beaten everyone on our schedule to this date.

Really proud of the team, and we all see good things in the future, because Tim Miles is improving this team in all the right places!

Last edited:

HRD, I have now come to another conclusion. Not only have I concluded that the MSU win was not a great one, but I have now come to the additional conclusion that you are a wacko. If you had taken my suggestion and smoked my printed word rather than your usual stuff, perhaps your wackiness could have been avoided.

HRD...do you think that DONU would have beaten MSU if Dawson had been playing? MSU was 18-1 with him and they are now 4-5 without him. If you think MSU would have beaten NU with Dawson, then why call it a great win?

Let's face it, they are not the #9 team in the country without Dawson. They are #13 now and with the loss to #20 Michigan today, they are going to drop further. Add to that the fact that Izzo said he did not have his team ready to play NU and you had the huskers beating a handicapped MSU team that was at low ebb mentally and emotionally. As a result, NU shot only 36% and yet they were still able to pull out a win.

Anyway, I am enjoying NU's little run right now. They have won 4 straight conference games. I will be pulling for them and if they beat Duke in the sweet sixteen I will claim it as a great win no matter how many Duke players are injured and unable to play. And when I make that claim I am sure you will disagree with me because it seems to be one of your favorite activities.

I am flattered that I was able to bring out so much of your passion and hostility. Because of you, I feel as though I accomplished more this week than expected! Thanks! :nod:

Awwww, so the lack of logically response to my post causes you to result to name calling........:lol: How cute. A wacko.....I've been called worse by pre-teen boys whom I refused to allow have a rest room break before a test.....Step your game and maturity up homie.

And who cares if Dawson would have changed the game. No one denies that, but regardless of anything you are using to belittle the win with, that Spartan squad is still far more superior in talent over the Huskers without him. Even without Dawson, that team wins 8 times out of ten on a neutral court. Just so happens they lost this one at home vs a team that wasn't suppose to accomplish much of anything. Are you suggesting that without Dawson, MSU is the worst team in the conference, because that's exactly what the Huskers were predicted to be this season, while they had everyone healthy and before losing Deverell Biggs whom contributed 9.9 points off the bench for 15 games. Upsets are big wins for the program who gets the win column. And to a program that has accomplished nothing in it's history, beating a team that consistently is amongst the top programs every season, defeating them on their home court is a GREAT win even if they are missing a star player. It's stupid to suggest that without Dawson then the MSU squad is equal or a worse team than the Huskers (on paper). That day, the Huskers were a better team.

The Huskers have never been a dynamic scoring team all season. So you stressing that they only shot 36% for the game means next to nothing. They average 42% on the season. MSU stat is 47% from the field on the season, yet, they were held to 32% for that game. Where's your logic that they played better defense than Nebraska? Oh, YOU are the only one in the nation who thinks MSU missing shots had nothing to do with Nebraska having 5 players on the court. I'm not sure how Izzo can call the huskers junkyard dogs and his players were wide open more times than not........yet, but I'm the "wacko" right?...:rolleyes:

Here's the funny thing about your "MSU missing wide open shots" philosophy. Of their 50 shots taken inside the 3 pt line, 33 of them failed to go in. And of that 33 team failed attempts, 24 of them were 15 ft or closer to the rim. You mind explaining where exactly the Husker defenders were, because obviously many of those shots must have been wide open mishaps by the Spartans. How does Izzo call that type of defense a junkyard dog type performance? What was he thinking?:rolleyes:

Tell you what, I'll start smoking what ever it is you keep promoting as soon as you make that call to East Lansing and inform Coach on what he obviously was missing because he was way to complimentary of the Huskers that game.

:lol: Sorry, to see someone call another person a "wacko" makes me think of Napoleon Dynamite type individuals. It's comedy that someone would think that type of name calling is effective in some sort. Thanks for the laugh. It's almost as funny as your overall style of posting.

Well, enough has been said of this win over MSU. It is time to put it to bed. Just sorry, Paramus cannot enjoy a win that shows we are improving more than any other year, since the good old days in the late 90's!

To close, since that Mich St game, we have beaten everyone on our schedule to this date.

Really proud of the team, and we all see good things in the future, because Tim Miles is improving this team in all the right places!

This....and this is yet a young team. This is probably the first time I've attempted to make sure that I don't miss a Husker BBall game if they are playing on the same day as Creighton. DVR is a great invention.

What are you talking about? I enjoyed the win, too. I thought it was a good win.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back