• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey

After the starting QB, the backup QB is the most important player on the team, since no QB gets through an entire season any more without missing at least one game, or a major part of a game. And like it or not, everything runs through the QB in SF's offense. So I hope Bunch stays around, even though he may be number 3. I doubt LM could be ready.
EEEH thank you for playing please come again.

I thought our biggest need on offense was depth at skill positions. Luke is an athlete that could be used anywhere. I could see this staff wanting to use him in different roles to get him on the field. They like Swiss Army knife type players. I could see them giving him some packages. Why not use him at receiver or in the wildcat? Spread some of the QB runs around to help limit wear and tear on AM? He's another toy for them to play with. They may not be able to resist.

I thought our biggest need on offense was depth at skill positions. Luke is an athlete that could be used anywhere. I could see this staff wanting to use him in different roles to get him on the field. They like Swiss Army knife type players. I could see them giving him some packages. Why not use him at receiver or in the wildcat? Spread some of the QB runs around to help limit wear and tear on AM? He's another toy for them to play with. They may not be able to resist.
I honestly believe if Luke isn't given a 100% fair chance at playing QB he'll leave. Here's what Verduzco said... "Husker signee McCaffrey is a QB all the way, and 'he's going to be a damn good one".

I believe Verduzco's public statement pretty much guarantees LM is going to be used as a QB unless something unforeseen happens. McCaffrety had some big time offers from schools to come as an athlete including one from CU. He turned them down because he wants to play QB and not some other position.

I honestly believe if Luke isn't given a 100% fair chance at playing QB he'll leave. Here's what Verduzco said... "Husker signee McCaffrey is a QB all the way, and 'he's going to be a damn good one".

I believe Verduzco's public statement pretty much guarantees LM is going to be used as a QB unless something unforeseen happens. McCaffrety had some big time offers from schools to come as an athlete including one from CU. He turned them down because he wants to play QB and not some other position.
One of the talking heads...maybe Mckeown...said the other day "of course they said that in signing day". Whoever it was went on to something to the effect of "don't be surprised to see him catching passes while AM is still around."

If he's that good of an athlete he can practice mostly at QB and have a handful of plays he can be used in? As with anything it all depends on lots of factors. If all of a sudden they find themselves deep at WR positions then maybe not.

To a comment earlier that nu will be 1 injury away from trouble at qb....that will probably be the case more often than not. That's just reality in college football at the QB position.

Using him some to save wear and tear on AM is a great idea. And then line him up in the slot slashing across, pitch it to him then give him a run/pass option. Whoa!

To me Bunch looked better than Vedral in the Spring Game and when he played this fall. Hopefully he stays. I’m thinking he’ll get a scholarship if he stays. Hope Scott offered that to him.

Bunch has a very good arm. I'm not sure why other teams never offered him, or why he would struggle to get offers now if he transfers. He's not a dynamic runner, but he's a heck of a lot better at running the football than Haskins at OSU. In the right kind of spread offense, I think he could be quite good. Once we have the depth, I'd love to see him go to WSU and let Mike Leach give him a shot.

If we're talking about who gets to play backup QB... I was to see Snodgrass out there on a QB trap where he gets to destroy a S or CB coming up to stop the run. :)

I thought Bunch was going to be the better runner of Bunch and Vedral, but I think Vedral has a better feel for running, and maybe a touch more speed. Vedral doesn't have the touch on passes that Bunch has, but neither seems to have a very strong arm. Verduzco said in fall camp that Bunch was better in the short game than anyone else, but that was before AM's blinker turned on fast.

Either way, the backup QB is important - but playing a true freshman in that spot (unless you have Tommie Frazier) has always seemed risky, and kind of a waste. Vedral and Masker will do fine, and maybe Bunch sticks it out and gets better too. Wyatt Mazour is going to throw a pass next fall, who knows where he lines up next?

Call me selfish. I want to see a McCaffery running the ball like Christian did for Stanford. I know they promised Luke a shot at QB and they should remain true to that. Just use him enough in the rb/wr role to put the defense on their heels. To that end line him up at QB and just let him run the ball.

Ah BugFish! Who gets to decide what is a fair shot? He’ll get a chance and may be a great backup. In the meantime let’s have some showtime!!!

Bunch has been passed over, he would be #3 at best. So he will be seeing if any Universities have a scholarship for him. Vedral was working with the scout team and got the call midway thru the season, and in the spring game who he was with and the playcalling skewed things a bit. He will be a great #2 QB while we wait for Smothers to get here.
Thank you for being the voice of reason!

Thank you for being the voice of reason!
giphy.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back