• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Linemen Height

...The wrestling connection for other recruits on both sides of the ball translates into big guys with quick feet who understand leverage and who have explosive power. If I had my dream team, every O-lineman and D-lineman would be a top-notch wrestler.

When we've talked about who will play where this year, Matt Farniok has been one of the most intriguing people because he clearly fits the bill as being one of "the five best linemen" that both Austin and Frost have said that they want to have on the field, but he's gotten some criticism because he's not the best pure OT when it comes to pass protection in the pocket,... but what about his run-blocking? What about the fact that he could probably play all 5 O-lineman positions, if needed? If the Farniok brothers just had slightly quicker feet, I think that they are good examples of what the coaches want to have. Even without the top-level quickness, both Farnioks will probably see some time in the NFL after college, though I doubt that Matt will be playing OT at that level. Maybe I'm forgetting something or overlooking something, but does he have any other obvious weakness besides getting outside on a top-notch edge rushing defender? I can't think of anything off of the top of my head. What I did see, and what coaches love to see, is that he moves well in space, he's very good at getting his hands on defenders, and he tends to finish his blocks well. If he has the leverage, or if it's a double-team, that defender is going to be looking up at him from the ground before the play is over. Long arms do a lot to help get a good strike on a defender out in space, especially when he's likely to be smaller and quicker than you. I predict that all of our main rotation of O-linemen will have that this year. Aaron Taylor was great at blocking straight ahead, but Aaron Taylor wasn't going to be able to pull and block a Nickel defender on a Tunnel Screen. Farniok does that very well.

As Frost adds in some of the bells & whistles of his offense, that's going to come more and more into play as he likes to call a lot of Wrap Blocks (I honestly don't know what others call them) where all 5 O-linemen take their initial steps backwards and outwards to set up a pocket like a normal pass protection scheme, but then one O-lineman drops farther and wraps around to become a lead blocker on the QB Dart running play. We ran this a lot last year out of an empty backfield because an empty backfield forced the defense to strip away as many LBs and Safeties as possible out of the box, and it forces the defense to run more basic D-line techniques versus lots of stunts. I don't know if the pulling lineman is always a pre-determined call, or if there is flexibility to make that O-line call at the line, but we're going to see a lot more of that from a lot more formations and with lots of different guys doing the pulling to lead the QB or RB (or Duck-R) through that hole.

Same goes for more pulling and crossing linemen on Frost's version of Buck Sweeps. Again, I don't know if the pulling linemen are always pre-determined, or if they have the capability and flexibility of making those calls at the Line of Scrimmage, but there is going to be a lot more of those, and they're going to be run at a lot more angles. If you've read this far, you may be asking why that matters as far as offensive scheme.... It matters because when a defense (especially the secondary) is reading backfield keys to determine where to go and what gap to fill, you can show a look that they recognize with the backs in the backfield, yet still have the numbers as far as blockers in the box by pulling O-linemen and going opposite of what the defense (secondary) reads. If all of the D-linemen are accounted for, those plays tend to go for long TDs. The addition of those plays is what took UCF from a good offense to a great offense in year 2 under Frost, and it's going to happen at Nebraska this year.

I've said all of the above, but I still haven't said much about any numbers or statistics that the coaches should use,... and that's because I very clearly recognize that they know a heck of a lot more about that sort of thing than I do. I am able to recognize when things aren't working, which I could see last year when Conrad was at Center, and Farmer was at RG. It's hard to know just by film, but my instincts tell me that not only was Farmer better at making the line calls at Center, but Wilson was clearly quicker than either when he stepped into that RG spot. I loved almost everything about Foster, but he was NOT a strength at LG. He missed a lot of blocks on key 3rd-and-short or 4th-and-short plays, and often it was because the defender across from him had better leverage with longer arms (watch Michigan and Ohio State games to see this), or it was because he wasn't quick enough to pick up shooting LBs or D-linemen coming on stunts.

I expect our O-line to be better by the Ohio State game this year than they were at any point last year.

Great post! (only thing I might disagree with is Aaron Taylor, I seem to remember us doing a lot of pulling with our guards on the interior and for the counters and traps Osborne ran. He could get downfield as well.. different kind of things from what Frost does, but Taylor could really move in my memory)

Want to call out a couple of things I agree with VERY STRONGLY:

- Love the wrestlers as well. It may not always translate into things like shuttle times, but wrestlers tend to have that balance and the good feet to keep that leverage even when others would be tripping around on the inside of the line!

- Year 2 in the system is going to be huge for this OL and this offense. The buck sweeps (Malzahn style?) are going to be very cool to watch this year. I think we'll have a unit working together and the guys who can do a lot more of what Frost wants this year... I'm wondering what wrinkles he may add that he didn't have the to run at UCF, though -- maybe some power things that he just didn't have the muscle to do on the inside there (Counters more like Osborne ran or simiilar to some I've seen Meyer run at OSU from the spread?)

- Wilson was a big upgrade last year when he got into the starting lineup (not sure enough people realize just how good he was, IMO). He was clearly quicker, as you say and has the aggressiveness and punch go move people as well. I was blown away when I saw the difference between him and the other guards on the field (Foster was a fish out of water in this system. I think some other systems he could work in just fine, but slow feet and short arms aren't good for what Frost wants to do) - I think whoever the other starting G is will be better than Foster. My guess is Hixson and that he'll look really good this year.

Last edited:

(only thing I might disagree with is Aaron Taylor, I seem to remember us doing a lot of pulling with our guards on the interior and for the counters and traps Osborne ran. He could get downfield as well.. different kind of things from what Frost does, but Taylor could really move in my memory)
Maybe I'm trying to have it both ways, but I both agree with you about Taylor being good at pulling, yet disagree that he would have been good at getting out on a Safety or Nickleback on a Tunnel Screen, if that makes sense. He could pull and move a D-lineman or blow up a LB or Safety in the hole, but consistently blocking a Safety in space 3 yards downfield and 5 yards outside the Tackle-box? I don't see it.

Last edited:

It's not a coincidence that even our best OTs didn't fare so well in the NFL where they had to step out on pass pro and intercept a quick edge rusher. Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuhler, Aaron Graham, Will Shields, Jake Young, Adam Treu, Eric Anderson, and Aaron Taylor all could have played in Frost's offense when they were in their prime,... and every one of them would have played in the interior line. Even the best at technique, quickness, and agility are NOT going to be able to play OT in this offense. Arguing otherwise is the equivalent of saying how some 6'2" stud post player in high school could play Center at Duke and Kentucky.

Zach Wiegert and Rob Zatchka weren't too bad at the next level. Both spent a decade in the NFL. But I believe what probably made ex-Huskers more run blockers than pass pro types was the philosophy. https://www.huskermax.com/anatomy-of-an-era-chris-dishman-part-2/ The most interesting part is how OL didn't just give each other spells, they rotated positions against the opponent a lot.

Maybe I'm trying to have it both ways, but I both agree with you about Taylor being good at pulling, yet disagree that he would have been good at getting out on a Safety or Nickleback on a Tunnel Screen, if that makes sense. He could pull and move a D-lineman or blow up a LB or Safety in the hole, but consistently blocking a Safety in space 3 yards downfield and 5 yards outside the Tackle-box? I don't see it.

Picking off DBs as an OL is an artform. Any DB that allows an OL to run them over probably has a short career in the future. An OL can, however, affect their pursuit path, which is pretty effective.

Last edited:

Zach Wiegert and Rob Zatchka weren't too bad at the next level.
Yes, and did you notice that both played Guard?
Picking off DBs as an OL is an artform. Any DB that allows an OL to run them over probably has a short career in the future. An OL can, however, affect their pursuit path, which is pretty effective.
I agree with everything here, and often the goal of an OL on a Tunnel Screen is just being the equivalent of a 300+ lb receiver making a stalk block. If he gets to his spot first with good eyes and feet, all he has to do is read the eyes of his target and get between him and the ball. If he does that, he doesn't need to necessarily touch the defender.

Large bodies, especially tall and wide ones, definitely create distraction for pursuit. One of my best groups used to get linemen to rapidly swoosh arms up and down as they moved upfield to confuse defenders because THEIR runningback had a bit of a giddy up. (True teamwork identity going on there.) I liken it to a chaff plume dropped by a fighter jet, radar cannot see what is inside the plume and has to guess what is real and what is simply for illusion.

A good trap play can resemble a slip stream if the big boys get down field. Delayed draws are also another play that can resemble that big body flow around a ball carrier. It requires a little coordination of effort and timing to pull those plays off. But they are beautiful like masterpiece art when they go correctly.

Last edited:
So we all agree that Mark Pelini wasnt the ideal body type for Center? What was that guy, about 5'10", in cleats?

So we all agree that Mark Pelini wasnt the ideal body type for Center? What was that guy, about 5'10", in cleats?

He wasn't that much different from Caputo, but Caputo was a super quick and strong athlete for his size. Pelini was pretty strong, but not not that good of an athlete overall. Caputo may not have had an optimal body type, but was a quality Center, IMO

Large bodies, especially tall and wide ones, definitely create distraction for pursuit. One of my best groups used to get linemen to rapidly swoosh arms up and down as they moved upfield to confuse defenders because THEIR runningback had a bit of a giddy up. (True teamwork identity going on there.) I liken it to a chaff plume dropped by a fighter jet, radar cannot see what is inside the plume and has to guess what is real and what is simply for illusion.

A good trap play can resemble a slip stream if the big boys get down field. Delayed draws are also another play that can resemble that big body flow around a ball carrier. It requires a little coordination of effort and timing to pull those plays off. But they are beautiful like masterpiece art when they go correctly.
I was up in the booth for a high school state championship game, on the headset with the head coach/OC as the offense was taking over in the second half of a tie ballgame. I asked him what he called, and he said 34 Counter Tray. It worked. Next play, I asked again; 43 Counter Tray. (It was a Wishbone offense, so it's the mirror image play going the opposite way.) It worked for about another 5 yards. I asked again; he said 43 Counter Tray. I asked him how many times he was going to run that? He said, "As soon as we're in 3rd-and-Long, we'll think about something else." We never got into a 3rd and Long. We won the game, 44-20. The Tray series had the whole backfield going in one direction while the two O-linemen pulled back across the formation in the opposite direction, kicking out the containment defender and the backside LB. Coach had figured out that the LBs and secondary were so fully focused on 1st movement in the backfield as their reads that they weren't paying attention to pulling linemen. Good times!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back