• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Lincoln Southeast DT Bryson Williams Commits To Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

I heard Mapieu had some major work to do academically. I can't confirm that, however.

I always hate the idea of offering a talented local kid before we understand what is available to us nationally. Yeah, we might be in on that five star, and should continue to fight for him rather than cede his recruitment to others. I'm not into the Pelini philosophy of recruiting.
Would that be the philosophy of pursuing that five star to signing day and losing both him and the local kid to other schools?

Good stuff N2FL... looks like we just offered Ronnie Perkins from St. Louis as well and he's real excited about the offer. Holy cow we could fill the rest of our DL class from St. Louis!

SoonerScoop.com‏Verified account @SoonerScoop 4h4 hours ago
2018 #Sooners STL DT offer Ronnie Perkins (@Legendary11_) has built a good relationship with @CoachThibbs and @OU_CoachMike. Will visit OU.
2018 #Rivals100 St. Louis (Mo.) Chaminade DT Trevor Trout (@totaltroutmove) will definitely visit #OU for an official or unofficial visit.

Sooners are going after the St Louis boys as well. Would be real nice to sign these recruits to this class.

SoonerScoop.com‏Verified account @SoonerScoop 4h4 hours ago
2018 #Sooners STL DT offer Ronnie Perkins (@Legendary11_) has built a good relationship with @CoachThibbs and @OU_CoachMike. Will visit OU.
2018 #Rivals100 St. Louis (Mo.) Chaminade DT Trevor Trout (@totaltroutmove) will definitely visit #OU for an official or unofficial visit.

Sooners are going after the St Louis boys as well. Would be real nice to sign these recruits to this class.
I think Trout was always a long shot for us unfortunately (however I think he is overrated). But Perkins is a guy we still have a decent shot with. To your point, we only have one spot left so we are turning away some good talent. From junior film, I like the two guys we have turned away (Williams and Avery) better than who we have committed (Wildeman and Mapieu). However, I have zero gauge on what the ceilings are for these kids, so I defer to a staff and Parrella who seem to know what they want.

I think Trout was always a long shot for us unfortunately (however I think he is overrated). But Perkins is a guy we still have a decent shot with. To your point, we only have one spot left so we are turning away some good talent. From junior film, I like the two guys we have turned away (Williams and Avery) better than who we have committed (Wildeman and Mapieu). However, I have zero gauge on what the ceilings are for these kids, so I defer to a staff and Parrella who seem to know what they want.

I agree I like these guys better as well. I can see offering Mapieu since he is a Nebraska boy, however Wildeman made me scratch my head.

I agree I like these guys better as well. I can see offering Mapieu since he is a Nebraska boy, however Wildeman made me scratch my head.
I have absolutely zero issue with us offering Mapieu. He got offers from UCLA and Iowa before we offered and Husker message boards would have been full Chernobyl-mode if we didn't offer him. Williams is starting to pile up offers so it is intriguing to figure out what they see in one kid or the other. I will say Mapieu projects to a better NG than Williams does, and Wildeman projects to a better DE than Williams, so if those are the two spots on the DL, what is there to really get mad about?

Like I said in my article, I think Williams is a good option at DE. But like *** also pointed out, Nebraska is "in" on some guys they like better. Williams and Bryant are going to have to participate in a FNL camp this June and show off for Diaco and co. to really put themselves in line for offers. I dont think Nebraska can go wrong with offering either of them.
Preferred walk on status?

I am glad Riley was up front with him. The kid has a lot of great offers out there, and if there is simply no room at Nebraska he needs to be making other plans.

Are the coaches making a mistake here with an obviously talented local guy or is there more to this than we know?
Honestly, I think he doesn't fit the mold of a DE which is what our last spot is for and the coaches think Mapieu is a better NG prospect long term. I'm hoping he ends up at KState or Northwestern but will probably end up in Iowa City.

I think any time we lose a power5 FBS kid from in-state (especially Lincoln) it's not great. But we lost Lenners to KState and I wasn't bent out of shape about that. This one stings a bit more in my opinion but numbers are numbers for what we are taking. I mean, if we are turning away Avery, we for sure are turning away Williams even if he lived in the Memorial Stadium maintenance shed like Rudy.

Honestly, I think he doesn't fit the mold of a DE which is what our last spot is for and the coaches think Mapieu is a better NG prospect long term. I'm hoping he ends up at KState or Northwestern but will probably end up in Iowa City.

I think any time we lose a power5 FBS kid from in-state (especially Lincoln) it's not great. But we lost Lenners to KState and I wasn't bent out of shape about that. This one stings a bit more in my opinion but numbers are numbers for what we are taking. I mean, if we are turning away Avery, we for sure are turning away Williams even if he lived in the Memorial Stadium maintenance shed like Rudy.

Like you, I hate to see these guys go elsewhere, but as you say.... the numbers are what they are. Mapieu being the better prospect makes it sting a little less, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back