• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

LB Greg Simmons has left the team

Probably has already been stated but if the new guys coming in are better than you, try and find a place where you can gets some playing time. I don't begrudge anyone for this.

Doesn't appear to apply to either recent departure, at least from a depth chart perspective.

Doesn't appear to apply to either recent departure, at least from a depth chart perspective.
Really? Where was Greg Simmons on the depth chart? Third going into spring and likely the writing was on the wall at the end of it.

Last edited:
So commits leaving the program without contributing a meaningful snap is cause for celebration because the next touted recruit with X stars would never do the same thing (if they sign with NU at all). If only that were guaranteed.
Yep. If player X isn't working out, I'm always happy to see him leave and give player Y a shot.

Really? Where was Greg Simmons on the depth chart? Third going into spring and likely the writing was on the wall at the end of it.

If 3rd on the depth chart as a rFr means the writing is on the wall then we have a pretty good list of players who need to be packing their bags. Sure doesn't jive with everything that was being said about him on the recruiting board.

If 3rd on the depth chart as a rFr means the writing is on the wall then we have a pretty good list of players who need to be packing their bags. Sure doesn't jive with everything that was being said about him on the recruiting board.
He was 3rd going in. Maybe he saw the new talent and didn't think he could compete. I don't know. He obviously thought he could do better elsewhere.

Any word on where Simmons is planning to go? Maybe a JUCO or transfer somewhere closer to home? If I remember right, we flipped him from Miami.

So commits leaving the program without contributing a meaningful snap is cause for celebration because the next touted recruit with X stars would never do the same thing (if they sign with NU at all). If only that were guaranteed.

Guys leave for numerous reasons, but a primary one is they get honest with themselves. It's not easy, and it can be communicated in different ways, but the reality is the player comes to grips with the fact they just aren't going to climb over those in front of them. Looking in the mirror they finally say, 'I can't beat that guy out'. If a kid has that honest moment, then I'm glad they are going to go where they think it might be a better likelihood of them playing. Going to school to play a sport and NOT playing would be mentally very hard. I'm always glad for them wherever they go.

If celebrating the opportunity of a new kid coming in with the skills and desire to succeed is a bad thing, then we may as well just only offer 4 year scholarships and refuse giving a release. If it's distasteful for a kid to transfer and for fans to look on the positive side of a new player coming in, then just don't allow it.

How silly does that sound, that it's wrong to not dwell that a habitual benchwarmer leaves, and a scholarship can now be offered to someone who could possibly be a program changer.

Yes, always nice to be able to tell a year in how player will develop and contribute.

Guys leave for numerous reasons, but a primary one is they get honest with themselves. It's not easy, and it can be communicated in different ways, but the reality is the player comes to grips with the fact they just aren't going to climb over those in front of them. Looking in the mirror they finally say, 'I can't beat that guy out'. If a kid has that honest moment, then I'm glad they are going to go where they think it might be a better likelihood of them playing. Going to school to play a sport and NOT playing would be mentally very hard. I'm always glad for them wherever they go.

If celebrating the opportunity of a new kid coming in with the skills and desire to succeed is a bad thing, then we may as well just only offer 4 year scholarships and refuse giving a release. If it's distasteful for a kid to transfer and for fans to look on the positive side of a new player coming in, then just don't allow it.

How silly does that sound, that it's wrong to not dwell that a habitual benchwarmer leaves, and a scholarship can now be offered to someone who could possibly be a program changer.

Not the point of my post at all......Wasn't Simmons regarded as fitting the bolded above? Certainly not a player who was considered a "reach" or a last minute "settle". One of the attributes the staff has been lauded for was identifying talent, but now the players aren't talented enough to even develop over 4 more years? Has to somewhat decrease confidence that the new player will be accurately evaluated.

Not sure what the argument is about here, but Simmons for sure didn't like Avery Roberts who should have been at his high school prom leap-frogging him on the depth chart. He certainly didn't like that Young and Barry were in front of him, and that Colin Miller was performing better than him and the same age. I don't think it means we thought he wouldn't develop, it was that if he didn't develop at a quicker rate he was going to be behind Miller and Roberts. Our LB room is deeeeeeeeep at ILB.

Not sure what the argument is about here, but Simmons for sure didn't like Avery Roberts who should have been at his high school prom leap-frogging him on the depth chart. He certainly didn't like that Young and Barry were in front of him, and that Colin Miller was performing better than him and the same age. I don't think it means we thought he wouldn't develop, it was that if he didn't develop at a quicker rate he was going to be behind Miller and Roberts. Our LB room is deeeeeeeeep at ILB.

Not everyone is patient. A sport like football is so physically demanding that practices, without getting game minutes, mentally wear kids down. As much as we love the friendships, the brotherhood of being a teammate, it's very hard to stay positive and engaged when there are so many ahead of you.

Not everyone is patient. A sport like football is so physically demanding that practices, without getting game minutes, mentally wear kids down. As much as we love the friendships, the brotherhood of being a teammate, it's very hard to stay positive and engaged when there are so many ahead of you.
I don't blame the kid at all... Young and Barry as veterans in front of you, Miller scout team MVP last year your same age playing your same position, a kid that should still be in high school in front of you as a true freshman, and then you have Andrew Ward and Willie Hampton coming in as well. That's so crowded to try and make room for you. I find it interesting we brought in 3 ILBs in one class for 2017. Was Hampton going to try OLB? Judging by his frame no. I would like to see us bring in 2 OLBs for 2018. Hopefully we get Redmond and then land Parsons as a cherry on top.

You're welcome for completely derailing the thread.

I don't blame the kid at all... Young and Barry as veterans in front of you, Miller scout team MVP last year your same age playing your same position, a kid that should still be in high school in front of you as a true freshman, and then you have Andrew Ward and Willie Hampton coming in as well. That's so crowded to try and make room for you. I find it interesting we brought in 3 ILBs in one class for 2017. Was Hampton going to try OLB? Judging by his frame no. I would like to see us bring in 2 OLBs for 2018. Hopefully we get Redmond and then land Parsons as a cherry on top.

Some will still try to make a player leaving as a negative on the staff due to either poor evaluation or not patient to allow him to develop even though it is the players choice to leave. With some this staff is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

C

Last edited:

Maybe they see something in the ability of one or more to convert to OLB, but I'm not seeing it.

Maybe they see something in the ability of one or more to convert to OLB, but I'm not seeing it.
I'm intrigued how Diaco will work things. Collin Miller won scout team MVP rushing the passer from the DE position, but we have him as an ILB. I feel that if he's an ILB, all of those guys I listed are too.

Will be fun to see how he maneuvers things.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back