• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Latest win total predictions from Vegas

But what about Husker Jag's (post 66) statistics that show MR 18% BETTER than expected results? Aren't you going to tell him how wrong he is? Or, if you "don't disagree," admit how wrong you've been posting for 2 years?
I'm not wrong until Riley says otherwise. As of now, I'm pretty spot on. Jag makes some good points, I'm not doubting that. Have to see if he can change that.

Change outperforming his recruiting classes? Why would he want to do that?
He has yet to do any of that at Nebraska. Time will tell. He's been an average coach his entire career to date. No other way to look at that right now. It's water under he bridge. We all want the same thing here, to win, a lot. We're all hoping that changes moving forward. 9-3+ this year.

He has yet to do any of that at Nebraska. Time will tell. He's been an average coach his entire career to date. No other way to look at that right now. It's water under he bridge. We all want the same thing here, to win, a lot. We're all hoping that changes moving forward. 9-3+ this year.
So then you disagree with Jag's facts?

Actually, you've been shown somewhere in the neighborhood of eleventy bajillion other ways to look at it. The majority have been fact based. You have made conscious choices to ignore them all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HIO, I share some of your concerns. I'm just not as pessimistic as you. I acknowledge the issues you've pointed out, but also acknowledge a lot of the positives, the potential reasons for average or below-average performances (both at OSU and Nebraska), and the trends.

If your definition of average is based solely on overall record, then you are correct. His lifetime win percentage as a college head coach is 54.3%. But I can't base my definition simply on that. MR has clearly performed at an above average level when you look at the stats I posted above. Additionally, he has had some very respectable teams (four times finishing the season ranked in the AP poll - Guess what? Nebraska only finished the season ranked in the AP poll six times during that span), and he has coached and/or recruited 31 players selected in the NFL draft during that 2003-2014 period. This, in spite of the lower level of talent his teams have had.

I'm skeptical at times, but I also try to take a balanced look at everything, and what I see is positive. I think we have a really good coach who is moving the program in a positive direction.

HIO, I share some of your concerns. I'm just not as pessimistic as you. I acknowledge the issues you've pointed out, but also acknowledge a lot of the positives, the potential reasons for average or below-average performances (both at OSU and Nebraska), and the trends.

If your definition of average is based solely on overall record, then you are correct. His lifetime win percentage as a college head coach is 54.3%. But I can't base my definition simply on that. MR has clearly performed at an above average level when you look at the stats I posted above. Additionally, he has had some very respectable teams (four times finishing the season ranked in the AP poll - Guess what? Nebraska only finished the season ranked in the AP poll six times during that span), and he has coached and/or recruited 31 players selected in the NFL draft during that 2003-2014 period. This, in spite of the lower level of talent his teams have had.

I'm skeptical at times, but I also try to take a balanced look at everything, and what I see is positive. I think we have a really good coach who is moving the program in a positive direction.
I am going to report your post... for being AWESOME. :thumbsup:

It's mostly my own gut feeling about him as a coach. As I've stated numerous times, and in the post above, it does not take tons of talent to see a well schooled, fluid team. Riley hasn't produced many of those anywhere. Like you and everyone else on this board, I like some of the positives also, but I have yet to see it on the field from him. Cheers to that changing in 2017 and beyond. Don't know how much fair I could be.

Actually, you've been shown somewhere in the neighborhood of eleventy bajillion other ways to look at it. The majority have been fact based. You have made conscious choices to ignore them all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And the results say the same thing. Change that, and we can all have one, big party!

It's mostly my own gut feeling about him as a coach. As I've stated numerous times, and in the post above, it does not take tons of talent to see a well schooled, fluid team. Riley hasn't produced many of those anywhere. Like you and everyone else on this board, I like some of the positives also, but I have yet to see it on the field from him. Cheers to that changing in 2017 and beyond. Don't know how much fair I could be.
Honestly, how many OSU games did you watch when he was the coach there?

Honestly, how many OSU games did you watch when he was the coach there?
I saw enough to form my own opinion, and, even more so of one when he coached the Chargers. Now, he's coaching my Huskers. Sloppy football at its finest. It's so funny how you can continue to bitch at someone who, to this point, has been spot on. We've seen nothing but sloppy play on the field since he got here, with a nice game or two mixed in. Change the results and I'll change my view, not before. That's quite fair.

I saw enough to form my own opinion, and, even more so of one when he coached the Chargers. Now, he's coaching my Huskers. Sloppy football at its finest. It's so funny how you can continue to bitch at someone who, to this point, has been spot on. We've seen nothing but sloppy play on the field since he got here, with a nice game or two mixed in. Change the results and I'll change my view, not before. That's quite fair.

That wasn't new sloppy play that you saw. That sloppy play has been plaguing this program for a long time. What you saw at times the past two years was sloppy play combined with a lack of effort, more so the first season. You're right that a lot remains to be seen, but constant negativity is toxic. It's why people react so harshly to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
That wasn't new sloppy play that you saw. That sloppy play has been plaguing this program for a long time. What you saw at times the past two years was sloppy play combined with a lack of effort, more so the first season. You're right that a lot remains to be seen, but constant negativity is toxic. It's why people react so harshly to you.

Yeah I would agree on the sloppy play. BP's teams were the poster child for sloppy play. Teams take on their coaches personality in a lot of cases. BP couldn't control his emotions on the sideline and it showed in the way his players played at times. MR is more controlled I would hope we see more of this control in the players as they are in his system longer.

I found a graph that shows exactly what you said.

v8oln0qsi9qkmfs3jg0d.jpg
I don't think your chart shows the same thing at all. If anything, it shows that Oregon State's recruiting and ranking are comparable. There is no over achieving or under achieving indicated.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back