• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lamar Jackson

This is a great example of telling it like it is and being up front with the players. Look at Alabama the QB has a bad first half and hes benched . Saban is always looking at finding a better player at every position and thats the way it should be. Its just not every coach states it in the media about a particular player.

Saban also appears to have the same philosophy with coaches as well.

This is not as uncommon as the article would suggest. My son played collegiate basketball ... he was the recipient of this mantra all the time. I know several college bball coaches who also profess this mantra.

Its not unusual.

I do object to Fischer putting this out in the open. It embarrasses Lamar Jackson. Why do it? This should be between the player, team and the coach. Not the public.
Embarrassed? He should be embarrassed. He hasn't played anywhere close to his abilities. I hope he owns that 100%, and if asked about it, be blunt and say, 'he was absolutely right, and if I keep playing like the last 2 years, they will have someone take my spot. But I'm not going to continue to be that guy'.

Embarrassed? He should be embarrassed. He hasn't played anywhere close to his abilities. I hope he owns that 100%, and if asked about it, be blunt and say, 'he was absolutely right, and if I keep playing like the last 2 years, they will have someone take my spot. But I'm not going to continue to be that guy'.
Good for Lamar to own up to this but still not the right way to motivate IMO.

Would you like your boss going to the papers and saying you're not working to the best of your abilities and if it doesn't going to get better I'm going to go find someone to take your job!

I'm speaking in general and not referring to any particular player, but if I'm a coach, I would expect the player to perform as well on the field as he did in his super cool internet sensation commitment video.

And not all of them create those or relish that kind of attention, but for those who do, it absolutely goes both ways

Would you like your boss going to the papers and saying you're not working to the best of your abilities and if it doesn't going to get better I'm going to go find someone to take your job!
If my boss was Scott Frost, I would.

Players are not given a spot...they earn it

They earn it...and they keep earning it. With enough competition, nothing is a given. I don’t care how many “tools” you have or what your “potential” is

If my boss was Scott Frost, I would.
First, it was Fischer not Frost who said this publically.

Second, I don't care if your boss was Scott Frost, Mother Theresa or the Easter Bunny ... going public with something like this has serious potential negative ramifications.

Second, I don't care if your boss was Scott Frost, Mother Theresa or the Easter Bunny ... going public with something like this has serious potential negative ramifications.
Do you really think they said those things publicly without LJ knowing about it ahead of time?

smh

Its common knowledge that for years under TO and FS, they considered this to be one of the biggest if not THE biggest benefits of the WO program. That WOS show highly recruited guys what work ethic is like and push them. Publically mentioning a certain player and how he would do it is in bad taste IMO.
It is for the WO too......its saying ahead of time that my hope isnt as much that you sill start, but its that you will push Lamar.
You can look at this a lot of ways but to say it in the press is just not really a smart idea.

We see it almost daily in government and politics. We hear it from players in the brightest spotlight of their sport. The notion a new coaching staff is publicly describing how they are pushing buttons, especially on players who may feel they are sacred cows, I think that’s actually brilliant. I know it bothers some, but sometimes you have to shoot a hostage to get people’s attention. Based on the description of the encounter, it got the attention of every player in that room.

The pay at Mother Theresa’s more than made up for everything she said to the press about her employees. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back