• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

KJ Scott - Grad Transfer > Mt. St. Mary's

With the Shereef Mitchell offer from Crayton, I thought this was a good time to bring this up. KJ Scott, an Omaha Central grad who dropped 19 points on North Carolina in the first round of the NCAA tournament, is possibly going to be granted a 6th year of eligibility. Crayton, Virginia, and Gonzaga have all called, Miles has not. Before I get upset, do we have an open slot for 2018-19?

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/re...cle_5816803c-43e4-55f3-8d72-254ae07dcdd3.html

With the Shereef Mitchell offer from Crayton, I thought this was a good time to bring this up. KJ Scott, an Omaha Central grad who dropped 19 points on North Carolina in the first round of the NCAA tournament, is possibly going to be granted a 6th year of eligibility. Crayton, Virginia, and Gonzaga have all called, Miles has not. Before I get upset, do we have an open slot for 2018-19?

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/re...cle_5816803c-43e4-55f3-8d72-254ae07dcdd3.html

We have one scholarship available. I believe the plan is to keep it open for a post or a mid-season transfer.

So go ahead and get upset.

So there are two spots in the rotation up for grabs. Nana, Thor, Harris, and Tanner are fighting for them. From the staff’s perspective, KJ would have to be significantly better than 2 of those guys for the staff to justify taking him as a grad transfer and not being able to go after a mid-season transfer. Not just a little better, significantly better.

I’m just telling you how I think the staff is looking at it. I’m not sure how much Nana and Thor have progressed or where they are at compared to KJ. Amir will play right away I think, from what I here, he’s having some pretty good practices.

Mitchell has a ton of potential, I could see him being a pretty good player.

So there are two spots in the rotation up for grabs. Nana, Thor, Harris, and Tanner are fighting for them. From the staff’s perspective, KJ would have to be significantly better than 2 of those guys for the staff to justify taking him as a grad transfer and not being able to go after a mid-season transfer. Not just a little better, significantly better.

I’m just telling you how I think the staff is looking at it. I’m not sure how much Nana and Thor have progressed or where they are at compared to KJ. Amir will play right away I think, from what I here, he’s having some pretty good practices.

Mitchell has a ton of potential, I could see him being a pretty good player.
It probably is a situation where they don't want to disrupt the confidence of someone like Nana or others. Especially when we are going to call on those guys so much once we get hit with graduation after this year. That being said, all your eggs are in this 2018-19 basket, you may as well give yourself a shot. Because I don't see any of those guys being able to get to double digits in an NCAA tournament game against a 1 seed like KJ did.

It probably is a situation where they don't want to disrupt the confidence of someone like Nana or others. Especially when we are going to call on those guys so much once we get hit with graduation after this year. That being said, all your eggs are in this 2018-19 basket, you may as well give yourself a shot. Because I don't see any of those guys being able to get to double digits in an NCAA tournament game against a 1 seed like KJ did.

Anytime you drop 19 on that level and on that stage, it’s impressive. You do have to consider that the game was a 103-64 blowout where North Carolina played 14 players though, there probably wasn’t a lot of defense or intensity in that 2nd half. I remember KJ looking pretty good in the SWAC (I think) championship game that they won right before that game.

I would like them to have another quality guard on their bench for this year as Burke isn’t eligible yet. That’s a good point about the staff wanting to instill confidence for the following year.

Anytime you drop 19 on that level and on that stage, it’s impressive. You do have to consider that the game was a 103-64 blowout where North Carolina played 14 players though, there probably wasn’t a lot of defense or intensity in that 2nd half. I remember KJ looking pretty good in the SWAC (I think) championship game that they won right before that game.

I would like them to have another quality guard on their bench for this year as Burke isn’t eligible yet. That’s a good point about the staff wanting to instill confidence for the following year.
I'm trying to think which UNL player (who isn't a senior) could do that against North Carolina? Roby on a good day. Thomas Allen when his hair is on fire. Scott may not be interested because of all the senior guards, but would like to see the effort this time for future players if nothing else.

I hope that Nana and Thor show up able to fill minutes, but based on last year, they weren't ready. Nana had no shot and no idea what his responsibility on defense was. Thor had a shot, but again no clue on defense (Interestingly, Thor is listed as a point guard for Iceland's U20 National team).

I saw a little of summer practice film on twitter or something, and Amir looked like he fit in with the team (body wise and play wise). I think he'll play early and hopefully stay in the rotation. Wouldn't mind if Nana or Thor redshirted this year if they are going to get the same minutes as last year.

Personally I was not impressed watching Nana or Thor at all last season. I felt neither were capable of playing in the conference. I hope they both have amazing summers and prove me wrong though. I'm honestly surprised that one of them hasn't transferred yet.

Personally I was not impressed watching Nana or Thor at all last season. I felt neither were capable of playing in the conference. I hope they both have amazing summers and prove me wrong though. I'm honestly surprised that one of them hasn't transferred yet.

They were both quite a ways away last year. I’m with you in hoping they make a big job. Nana is a good shooter, but his defense was poor last year.

The more I think about it, I agree with the staff. I wouldn’t take KJ in as a grad transfer for several reasons.

North Carolina, even against a bad team, is going to give up 60 or 70 points. SOMEBODY has to score them. That one guy got 19 of them doesn't mean much really without having watched. Was he blowing by guys? Draining contested 3s? Scoring most of those points when UNC still cares?

He might be a heck of a player. Or he might have just hit a few shots against a really good team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back