• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kenya Hunter Heading to (UCONN) > Indiana

Danny Nee was at Nebraska for 14 years and "was close to that guy". This program will never build into anything if we don't support a coach after a season like he just had

Your faith in moos building this basketball program is unfounded.
More likely than not this season was largely fool's gold. While it can't be entirely discounted a long term deal (more than 2 years) isn't warranted.

I'm no longer sold on Miles being "the guy" but I do think he's the best coach they have had since Nee. At the time Miles was hired, Groce from Ohio was another, hotter, mid-major coach. He got the better job at Illinois and is already fired and coaching at Akron. Miles is still a decent mid-major coach and unless you have someone better, I don't see why you would change.

Moos can hardly wreck Nebraska Basketball, but I would bet that he makes a change sooner or later (next year).

Last edited:
I feel like the much of your post is based in assumption or hearsay. Your info about transfers is very wrong, flat out; transfers have been key at UNL and in college basketball as a whole. Look at this article "How Nevada basketball banked on transfers to turn into a top 25 team" . Look at Wes Clark at Buffalo, transfer from Missou, was huge in that win over Zona.Charles Matthews at Michigan? Malik Newman at Kansas? Marcus Foster? Those guys make a difference. After all, "basketball, unlike football, can be changed 180 degrees from a talent standpoint with just 1 player." I should add James Palmer to the list, Big Ten Newcomer of the Year. Why is everyone so hesitant to give Miles some props for bringing a guy like Palmer on board? Oh, right because transfers are pocket change and the four stars that Miles brings in, aren't 4 star enough.

Danny Nee was at Nebraska for 14 years and "was close to that guy". This program will never build into anything if we don't support a coach after a season like he just had

Your faith in moos building this basketball program is unfounded.

Right, counting on transfers is a great long-term play to build a program. I could stop right there, and just let your reply die a slow death, but I'll help you speed the process.

If I'm not mistaken, we had a top 25 team that was in large part due to transfers a few years ago, and how did that turn out in building a program? And you are going to toss in a Buffalo win over Zona, and 2 complimentary players at otherwise stacked programs as justification for Miles RELYING on transfers to build a program, or at very least, make us competitive? When a transfer falls in your lap, that icing on the cake, it's not a mainstay of building a reliable foundation of a program! Miles appears to like to chase shiny objects. He doesn't want to work to recruit a kid and develop him over 4 years, he wants instant gratification, and that includes the kids he does recruit.

NeeBraska basketball was a completely different era, and patience, as we've learned, isn't in the same place as it was 2 decades ago. Heck, Tom Osborne, the king of patience cut loose Doc Sadler with a 53% win percentage while getting us to 3 NITs and Doc took over a frickin' trainwreck. We've heard every excuse in the world why we can't put a consistently good product on the floor: We're a football school (well, not for the last 20 years), Recruiting is a struggle, The facilities are poor, We aren't willing to pay for a coach. All of that is pure crap, we've simply made some poor management choices, and just like in football, we need a really carefully thought out decision should we decide to make a change.

What you fail to understand is I really like Miles, and I have seen him improve in certain areas. What drives me nuts is he continues to put a sloppy product on the court. Some teams with loads of talent can get away with that, like Kentucky, but most need some structure. Look at Nova, look at Sparty, look at those teams no one thought had a chance in the NCAAs, they all play with some semblance of structure. Miles has been weak with that from day one, and he's failed to address it, either by staffing, or by relinquishing that portion of the team's development to one of the assistants. If Miles keeps the defections down, and puts together another solid year, he's going to make cash. If he looks lost like he did in 2016-2017, he's going to have a lot more time to entertain on Twitter.

Last edited:
This just has the look of 2013-14 in football, particularly the end of the 2013 season (Iowa at home). Bo got another year, but you knew Perlman and Eichorst didn't support him. Some on here are OK with stringing it out, but I maintain, this has a bad look and things will get considerably worse before they have a chance at getting better. No one can operate well in this situation. Support your coach or make a move. That's the better practice, and the right thing to do.

This just has the look of 2013-14 in football, particularly the end of the 2013 season (Iowa at home). Bo got another year, but you knew Perlman and Eichorst didn't support him. Some on here are OK with stringing it out, but I maintain, this has a bad look and things will get considerably worse before they have a chance at getting better. No one can operate well in this situation. Support your coach or make a move. That's the better practice, and the right thing to do.

So hand over potentially another 4 to 6 million dollars to make people feel good, or fire a coach even if you don't have the candidate you want, those are your only choices? That's just goofy. Moos is looking at the health of the program long-term, not just a recruiting class or a season. That's why we pay him to run a multi million dollar entity.

Remember Tarin Smith? Looks like he's following Hunter to UConn.

I see he added some ink. I can’t imagine how taxing it would be to play for 3 different programs while attending 3 different schools. I of course Tarin had a pretty good season last year and is close to the Hurley’s. Makes sense and I wish him luck.

I think there is truth to the premise that Kenya would have stayed had Miles been extended. His son is a Junior at Creighton Prep and whether his family moves or not, those are tough decisions to not be around or move your kid right before he graduates. Plus, I am sure Kenya could get an equally type of caliber job next year, and has probably turned similar jobs down before. Not extending Miles was not extending the assistant coaches as well.

I think there is truth to the premise that Kenya would have stayed had Miles been extended. His son is a Junior at Creighton Prep and whether his family moves or not, those are tough decisions to not be around or move your kid right before he graduates. Plus, I am sure Kenya could get an equally type of caliber job next year, and has probably turned similar jobs down before. Not extending Miles was not extending the assistant coaches as well.
So staying another year would have allowed his kid to not have any disruption, and he could have gotten a similar position if Miles was terminated? Doesn’t that take the wind out of the debate about a lack of contract extension?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back