• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kenya Hunter Heading to (UCONN) > Indiana

Not-Good.gif

I want Nebraska to succeed at all sports, but I just can't get on board with Miles.

With Hunter's help, Nebraska added 9 players who were among the nation’s top 150 prospects over the last three seasons. He also helped recruit five players on the current roster.

Good season this year so congrats to the staff and players, but I would have expected more with what was there. 9 players in the nations top 150 in three years and Nebraska really only had one successful year. I have kind of dropped off following the Husker basketball program so I will defer to those diehards, if Miles is the man then so be it. I do hope he can bring in a good assistant to replace Hunter.

Huge loss. WE got 5 years out of him which is pretty good these days.

Don't know if the insecurity at the top played a role; this move wouldn't have surprised me even if there had been quicker support from Moos and an extension. But it's not a good look right now.

Not sure what the plan is at the Moos/Behm level. Slow playing it all doesn't look decisive or competent. Either fire the coach or support him.

Don't know if the insecurity at the top played a role; this move wouldn't have surprised me even if there had been quicker support from Moos and an extension. But it's not a good look right now.

Not sure what the plan is at the Moos/Behm level. Slow playing it all doesn't look decisive or competent. Either fire the coach or support him.
Moos already said Miles is staying. But I imagine he wont get more than a couple years at a time.

I am not an expert on this kind of stuff. Could somebody please come in here and make sense out of it for me?

Are the good players only here due to Kenya? Will his departure cause any players or recruits to leave? Can Miles find somebody as good to replace him? Would there still be some turnover of players? Can Moos find somebody to stop the bleeding? Would they be able to retain the current roster?

Should we cut ties to Miles and move on?

This is the same stuff I’ve heard others say, and I’ll repeat my feeling on it. This wasn’t/isn’t up to Moos, it’s up to Miles, Hunter and the rest of the staff. If you want 5 years, don’t have seasons that vary between marginal and horrible. And who in their right mind thinks a 5 year contract doesn’t mean you may not be looking for a job in a year? If you’ve got 3 years under contract,that’s enough money to maintain your existence until you land a new gig. If Hunter has a doubt that caused him to leave, it sure shouldn’t have been in Bill Moos and his leadership.

This is either the beginning of the storm or business as usual (and by “business as usual” I mean college basketball, not Miles losing everything he ever touches). Let’s be honest, UCONN is a much better program than UNL. I am amazed how poor they were under Ollie, and if I were in Kenya’s shoes would be very excited to join the (better) Hurley’s staff.

Whether he is leaving for an opportunity or because he has read the writing on the wall, this is a huge loss. I remember Miles giving props to Hunter for the defense in our rout of Michigan.

Despite the inconsistency and even haplessness at times, I have been a big Miles supporter through all of it. I have always felt that Nebraska is the type of program that need to stick with a coaches up and downs for a while to create some kind of identity and have thought Miles could be that guy. I felt like he has been able to lure great assistants and players, often, because of those assistants, and I feel he deserves a 1 to 2 year extension. However, if we lose people anymore people this offseason, I feel like you have to show Miles the door.

And now this continues the revolving door that this program has become for players and coaches under Miles.Maybe this could also be an opportunity for us? I know Kenya was a beast on the recruiting trail and will be hard to replace, but some fresh blood can be a good thing?

The problem with firing a coach this late in the process would be awkward and seem uncalculated by Moos. If it were to happen, I am sure Xavier Johnson (who we are all pretty excited about) would ask for a release from his LOI. I don’t mean to turn this into a coaching search thread, but a great replacement would be UNC-Greensboro’s coach Wes Miller

Probably my longest thread I have ever written. Mainly just nervous/skeptical about this offseason

Last edited:
Moos already said Miles is staying. But I imagine he wont get more than a couple years at a time.

Basically saying he's staying until I get the guy I want. Tepid support is no better than whacking him. We're just delaying things at this point. Miles is gone at the end of next season, if not sooner.

It's only going to be a big loss if we higher someone of a lesser recruiting and coaching acumen. We have to open up the wallet and spend some money. I have zero idea who would even be on the radar at this point, and as long as we don't lose our better recruits or Roby, I think we will be okay.

Basically saying he's staying until I get the guy I want. Tepid support is no better than whacking him. We're just delaying things at this point. Miles is gone at the end of next season, if not sooner.
Unless he makes the tourney. Are you suggesting he should get a 4 or 5 year deal?

If this is what Moos is thinking, Moos is stupid. No one who isn’t available now (besides Sean Miller) will magically become available between now and next season. And if you remember, Miles had “tepid” support going into last season and ended up having the best season in about 20 years. No way does Moos get rid of Miles before next season.

And how does Kenya Hunter leaving say anything about the decision to re-hire/extend Miles. Maybe Miles saw this coming and wanted to wait so he could negotiate his contract around hiring another awesome assistant of his choosing? Who knows? Remember Miles, and maybe Boehm hired Hunter, who was a GREAT hire. Miles picks good assistants. I guess all these questions mean we don’t see eye to eye sandhill

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back