• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kendrick Lamar

ESPN was probably disappointed he didn't have a political message, especially with Trump on site

Last edited:

Trying to speak objectively, Lamar's music is massively popular, especially among young people and particularly the demographic of a huge number of top football players. It's certainly "art" because it's creative and is a real representation of the thinking and reality of his sub-culture. It's as much that as Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", just from a different perspective that I can't say is invalid simply because I don't share it. Personally, I can respect his work as art even though I don't enjoy it as music.

But I will say it's noteworthy he was featured and got to perform the songs he did, because I don't think any performer at any of major televised event like this has ever come close to being as "traditionally offensive" as Lamar is in almost all his work, including in these songs. Presenting this to a broad, cross-over audience like this is pretty amazing.

I think it's entirely possible the lip syncing and poor sound quality was intentional, to make sure certain words were clipped and that there was no chance the broader audience might understand the lyrics generally. His stuff including these songs doesn't have just one or two "naughty" words in it. Objectively you could say they're highly provocative pretty much all the way through.

It's almost funny thinking about the difference between Lamar's and many of the players' outlook and expression and that of a large part of the viewing audience. It's definitely worth a chuckle. ;)
That is an outstanding summation, Nut. Whether or not many on here liked him, there is no denying that this kid is huge. I thought the performance sucked from a production standpoint but I like his stuff and I'm almost strictly an old school hip hop fan.

Give me the 2 school bands at half. The only thing worse than KL would have been more time with the half time announcing crew.
So at least he gave us a break from those dolts.
If they wanted to make sure that NOBODY outside of a couple hundred 70 year olds watched the halftime show then...yeah, a couple marching bands would do the trick. I am no fan of that music from last night but I get why they go to performers like him. It is what it is. You know what? I saw about 10 seconds of it then I went and dropped a duece and rotated the laundry. Choices. We all have 'em.

I'm just surprised by all the people who "didn't watch the game" but are keenly aware as to how much Lamar sucked.

If they wanted to make sure that NOBODY outside of a couple hundred 70 year olds watched the halftime show then...yeah, a couple marching bands would do the trick. I am no fan of that music from last night but I get why they go to performers like him. It is what it is. You know what? I saw about 10 seconds of it then I went and dropped a duece and rotated the laundry. Choices. We all have 'em.

I'm just surprised by all the people who "didn't watch the game" but are keenly aware as to how much Lamar sucked.
Which was worse? Lamar's halftime performance or Trumps national anthem performance?

I had a laundry room in my bathroom once...multi-tasking at its best!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back