1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

July Recruiting And Where We Are At: REDUX

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Red Reign, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Red Reign

Red Reign Husker Immortal 10 Year Member

Alright lets try this again. :)

2. HuskerGene

HuskerGene A work in progress 5 Year Member

If not for Bland, this would be in the D's. My glass is half full, i'm not worried because of the high caliber guys that have us in their top list that they stated are going to visit. My glass is half empty, if i had to make a prediction right now, we will end up in these recruits top5/8 and not land their commitment. So we will be relegated to lower "diamonds in the rough" and coaching them up, or my better guess is new guys will emerge that I haven't listed. Hoping for the latter. I wouldn't worry here, just need to keep working our board.

SSO, looking back 30 or so years the OL has been littered with Nebraskans every year. Do you think Coach Frost is holding out for someone home grown to emerge this year before he goes heavily after out-staters? We've had home grown All-Americans numerous times & we may have some on the team now & in the future, maybe all they need is some decent coaching & better time in the weight room.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Red Reign, katymac and TnHusker87 like this.
  3. TnHusker87

TnHusker87 Recruit

@ShortSideOption's OP suggests the recruiting budget will be 25: 'Currently sitting at 11 commits ... This list is based on us taking roughly 14 more guys, ...'

Seems like first time that I've noted a # that high .... makes sense as I would expect more attrition over the next year. Thread regarding 2018 Scholarship #s show only 15 senior schoolies which would make for 7 departures.

With that projected class size, recruiting rankings will take care of itself.

GBR!

Red Reign likes this.
  4. Big Red Shrine

Big Red Shrine Elite Poster 2 Year Member

In the other thread I commented I was a glass half full guy here because of Frosts stated intent to fill the class later in the cycle and use the game day experience to its fullest.

After giving it more thought, a couple of things popped up. Do we need to pick up that pace a bit given the early signing period? He mentioned the need to have to work to keep them on board longer if they commit early, but shouldn’t we be putting that effort in either way?

I’ve also been to games at some of CFBs best venues. I love our game day experience. Places like Iowa, UCLA, and others can’t touch it. But to a kid from Kansas who isn’t a fan, are we really far and away better than the big boys in the BIG or many in the SEC? I don’t believe so. Is it awesome? Yes. As it is at Penn St and others.

Finally, anyone know Frosts policy on taking officials elsewhere after you commit to us? Thanks. I’ll hang up and listen.

TnHusker87, TFrazier and Red Reign like this.
  5. N2FL

N2FL Travel Squad 10 Year Member

Articles:
    Nate Clouse said in a chat the other day he expects the class to be at least 23 and possibly up to 25+ FWIW.

6. N2FL

Articles:
    Have you been to a night game at LSU? It's Awesome.

BasilLongfellow and Red Reign like this.
  7. Big Red Shrine

Big Red Shrine Elite Poster 2 Year Member

I can’t on account of the warrants.

Seriously, no, but through work I went to several BIG venues in the east when NU was still in the big 12 and they were awesome. Penn St night game was incredible. When Missouri handed it to us under Solich that whole town was electric for two days leading up to it. Georgia was fantastic and I would expect the top 1/2 to 2/3 of the SEC is that way. We always try to go in 1-2 days early to experience the restaurants and bars, which I is always fun, outside of Manhattan. I’ll probably get killed for lauding these experiences, so let me say in all sincerity...Colorado was horrible.

Mack The Shark and HuskerGene like this.
  8. ShortSideOption

ShortSideOption All Big 10 5 Year Member

I think that would be what he wants, but it's a really weird year in-state. There just isn't an FBS worthy OL for the 2019 class at this time. Guys like Bena from Creighton Prep or Anietto from Millard West could get one with a strong senior year, but there could also be other guys that emerge. Just stinks that in a year where we are looking at taking 4 or 5 guys, there isn't really a guy in-state at a position there almost always is.

huskerndenver and Red Reign like this.
  9. ShortSideOption

I think we will take anywhere between 21-25. Those numbers get a little fluid depending on who we are in on. For example, we can shut down OLB recruiting after one more if Snodgrass and Nelson are going to play there. Gets a little dicey with the numbers, but 7 is probably about right. 15 senior schollies, Engelhaupt gone already for one more, Bryant's health, one or two more possibly this summer, Washington, Canty, or Watt not making it here, then attrition from the season after people see who isn't going to play.

Red Reign and Powder Creek like this.
  10. chicago husker

chicago husker Scout Team 2 Year Member

what about Jalin Barnett is he coming around to get in some form of shape or just going to ride the schollie wave with free eats?

11. ShortSideOption

lol - I think he will ride into the sunset soon.

12. LarstheRed

LarstheRed Junior Varsity 2 Year Member

No doubt, but have you spent much time in Baton Rouge? It’s a steaming pile of disgusting in at least half the town.

BasilLongfellow likes this.
  13. Old Gold Knight

Old Gold Knight Recruit 2 Year Member

Question for SSO and/or N2FL. If the staff had commitments from Johnson, Robinson, and Thompkins, would they still accept Grayson's commitment, or, would they consider the RB class full (assuming the three stayed committed)?

14. N2FL

Articles:
    Oh yeah, in outta there pretty early Sunday morning lol

LarstheRed likes this.
  15. N2FL

Articles:
    As in part ways with Grayson? Like SSO has said, I'm hearing Grayson might flip if he gets an Oklahoma offer. But if he wanted to be in this class too, they'd take all four.