• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jim Walden says Nebraska's getting a new head football coach

I used to give MR a pass on the 2015 season given how the players were left with Bo's vitrol-laden rant and the reported toxicity and then lack of player buy in. However, I have since come to think that if MR was really the excellent coach and motivator needed at the time, he could have come in and won over the team and inspired them to buy in despite the challenge. He seems to be a great, positive person, but it seems we needed a little more from him during the coaching transition. I imagine someone like Harbaugh (as much as I can't stand his personality and antics) could have come in blazing and inspired the team more than the golly gee, Andy Griffith approach. IDK, just a thought.
Benning made a great point on the radio today....paraphrasing here but basically saying fans themselves were irrational and "toxic" and in many cases unsupportive of the change and in the same breath dismiss "buy in". people with no real vested interest or relationship with Bo were losing their minds...and we expect 18-22 years to just move on seamlessly.

The mistake you make is not looking deeper than the 9 wins over mediocre competitors. The dumpster fire came from the gradual erosion of talent from day 1 of Bo's tenure and the heinous nature of his departure. MR was simply not good enough to overcome that with his youngsters in 2 1/3 years.

Mediocre opponents like, Northern Illinois, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa?

Difference is, Bo won those games and lost big to the big boys, Riley is not only getting whipped by the OSU's and Wisc', he is also losing to he "mediocre"

Last edited:
Just had an interesting thought.

Suppose its true that Bounds and Greene fired Eichorst and hired AD Moos because he is a real football guy with the idea that he would hire a new coach for the 2018 season.

What happens if Coach Riley wins out?

Hear me out, as I know that seems unlikely given our current play but our 2017 schedule has always been highly favorable for that scenario, save winning at PSU.

If you look at the schedules of all our opponents, they play multiple physical games before they play us, which is highly favorable to us. Could you see how it would help us if Banks and McSorley are both out with minor injuries sustained in the games before us due to tough BIG Ten play? This issue is true for all the five teams we play, with it possible that Iowa limps into Lincoln, beatable due to the normal wear and tear of Big Ten play.

Yes we could get injuries too, but all the vicious teams are now behind us. Preseason, most on this board had us going 4 out of 5 W's in this stretch.

So, if Bounds and Greene had a new coach as a plan, do they dare let Coach Riley out of the bye week as the Head Coach? Can they count on past performance to predict future results if that is the plan they have?

Notice, I'm not saying its the correct plan or good plan, I'm just pointing out a scenario that could occur, IF this is what they want to do.

Suppose its true that Bounds and Greene fired Eichorst and hired AD Moos because he is a real football guy with the idea that he would hire a new coach for the 2018 season.

Hear me out, as I know that seems unlikely given our current play but our 2017 schedule has always been highly favorable for that scenario, save winning at PSU.

If you look at the schedules of all our opponents, they play multiple physical games before they play us, which is highly favorable to us. Could you see how it would help us if Banks and McSorley are both out with minor injuries sustained in the games before us due to tough BIG Ten play? This issue is true for all the five teams we play, with it possible that Iowa limps into Lincoln, beatable due to the normal wear and tear of Big Ten play.

Yes we could get injuries too, but all the vicious teams are now behind us. Preseason, most on this board had us going 4 out of 5 W's in this stretch.

So, if Bounds and Greene had a new coach as a plan, do they dare let Coach Riley out of the bye week as the Head Coach? Can they count on past performance to predict future results if that is the plan they have?

Notice, I'm not saying its the correct plan or good plan, I'm just pointing out a scenario that could occur, IF this is what they want to do.

I know that you bolded and capitalized 'if' in your final sentence, but Moos just said about 5 days ago that firing a coach mid-season is not what he is going to do. It looks like the regular season is going to play out with Riley as head coach.

I know that you bolded and capitalized 'if' in your final sentence, but Moos just said about 5 days ago that firing a coach mid-season is not what he is going to do. It looks like the regular season is going to play out with Riley as head coach.
You know what they say about "never say never".

And that's why my scenario is so intriguing. Many have speculated that why fire Eichorst if you are not in the market for a new coach. If Bounds and Greene intended that to occur, my scenario puts them in the position of truly fracturing the fan base (again?) over a coaching decision that if done now would be less controversial than if we're 8-4, bowl bound, etc but still with a coach the a large number of fans feel is a bad "fit" for DONU.

Last edited by a moderator:

And that's why my scenario is so intriguing. Many have speculated that why fire Eichorst if you are not in the market for a new coach. If Bounds and Greene intended that to occur, my scenario puts them in the position of truly fracturing the fan base (again?) over a coaching decision that if down now would be less controversial than if were 8-4, bowl bound, etc but still with a coach the a large number of fans feel is a bad "fit" for DONU.

*** has stated, several times, that the loss to NIU wasn't the only factor in the firing of SE. He seems to have connections to the program/university that none, or few, on here have. He hasn't stated whta those factors/issues were. Would be interested in hearing them.

*** has stated, several times, that the loss to NIU wasn't the only factor in the firing of SE. He seems to have connections to the program/university that none, or few, on here have. He hasn't stated whta those factors/issues were. Would be interested in hearing them.
It sure would! :)

Mediocre opponents like, Northern Illinois, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa?

Difference is, Bo won those games and lost big to the big boys, Riley is not only getting whipped by the OSU's and Wisc', he is also losing to he "mediocre"

Bo lost to Northwestern and Iowa too.

Green and Bounds got the guy they wanted to run the athletic dept how about we let him make the decisions instead of second guessing every move.

Green and Bounds got the guy they wanted to run the athletic dept how about we let him make the decisions instead of second guessing every move.
I'm not "second guessing" but laying out a question based on possible seasons out come and intentions of Bounds and Greene.

And by the way, if "second guessing" is forbidden by you, we better shut down the board :).

And that's why my scenario is so intriguing. Many have speculated that why fire Eichorst if you are not in the market for a new coach. If Bounds and Greene intended that to occur, my scenario puts them in the position of truly fracturing the fan base (again?) over a coaching decision that if done now would be less controversial than if we're 8-4, bowl bound, etc but still with a coach the a large number of fans feel is a bad "fit" for DONU.

Since it's now Thursday of the BYE week with Moos officially starting on Monday, the scenario was a possibility on Sunday morning. and, if it were going to happen, it would have happened then. Instead, Moos was announced as AD on Sunday afternoon and the scenario of "not letting Riley out of the bye week as head coach" came to a halt with Moos' press conference.

I agree with Red October...Green and Bounds found the experienced AD they are putting their faith in. Whatever happens to Riley will be decided by Moos moving forward.

Since it's now Thursday of the BYE week with Moos officially starting on Monday, the scenario was a possibility on Sunday morning. and, if it were going to happen, it would have happened then. Instead, Moos was announced as AD on Sunday afternoon and the scenario of "not letting Riley out of the bye week as head coach" came to a halt with Moos' press conference.

I agree with Red October...Green and Bounds found the experienced AD they are putting their faith in. Whatever happens to Riley will be decided by Moos moving forward.
You of course are far more likely to be right than I am.

But, AD Moos has had this week which he needed for up close observation of the kids, their thoughts on how things are, talk to the coaches and more importantly, to talk directly to Coach Riley. I don't thin AD Moos would act without his own personal observations of what's going on with in the program.

He adds that directly to his observations of Coach Riley from his time in the Pac 10 and add my scenario, his first act as new AD on Monday is a press conference to announce the change having discussed it with Riley over this coming weekend.

Just Speculation on how winning out, given how our schedule favors us, would effect decisions AD Moos would have to make.

But, AD Moos has had this week which he needed for up close observation of the kids, their thoughts on how things are, talk to the coaches and more importantly, to talk directly to Coach Riley. I don't thin AD Moos would act without his own personal observations of what's going on with in the program.

He adds that directly to his observations of Coach Riley from his time in the Pac 10 and add my scenario, his first act as new AD on Monday is a press conference to announce the change having discussed it with Riley over this coming weekend.

Just Speculation on how winning out, given how our schedule favors us, would effect decisions AD Moos would have to make.

Moos' first day on the job is Monday, October 23, so, if he was doing all the bold as the scenario suggests, Green and Bounds changed their minds about him officially starting on October 23, and he changed his mind from his very first press conference at NU because he is firing Riley mid-season.

As for the decisions he has to make whether the team wins out or implodes completely, I will just wait to see what happens...one game at a time.

I don’t think our schedule favors us. At PSU all but eliminates winning out at this point. We’ve beat NW at home exactly once IIRC and that was on a Hail Mary. I know past results don’t predict future results but........and then you have Iowa who should just be able to run it right at us and wear us down at the end. Not to mention trips to Minn and Purdue which don’t scare anyone but nonetheless I don’t have much confidence in.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back