• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jim Walden says Nebraska's getting a new head football coach

Kelly, now with the Philadelphia Eagles, did however receive an 18-month show-cause penalty, meaning any university that hires him will have to present its justification to the NCAA Committee of Infractions before doing so. Unless Kelly bombs after just one season with the Eagles and he seeks an entry back into the college game, this won't be an issue.

That quote is from an article dated in 2013

Those sanctions have long expired. The only relevance today is whether his past taints his future. During Moos' introductory press conference Moos was asked what qualities he seeks in a head coach. One of the many he listed was a coach who runs a "clean" program. So it could be a factor.

Will be interesting to see how things play out.

I was fed up with Bo as much as anyone, but I have a hard time calling 9 wins minimum a dumpster fire considering his replacement has won 9 games once in 3 years.

Agreed. Bo made his own bed with his antics. But at the same time I have always been uncomfortable with attempts to paint it like MR walked into a moribund program. As toxic as Voldemort may have been as a head coach, he won at least nine games for seven straight years.

Agreed. Bo made his own bed with his antics. But at the same time I have always been uncomfortable with attempts to paint it like MR walked into a moribund program. As toxic as Voldemort may have been as a head coach, he won at least nine games for seven straight years.

The toxicity was definitely a big obstacle, there were also positions that had thin depth, and there were blowout losses. The only thing that changed is the toxicity is gone. If, IF, MR inherited a dumpster fire, his attempts to put it out haven't been too effective, and we're winning less.

Though his temper seemed to put us on the defensive with referees, I still loved his fire. He felt we were being screwed a lot, and he didn't want to have to just stand back and take it. Too bad. I know, some times he exaggerated. Heck, who doesn't? :)

That quote is from an article dated in 2013

Those sanctions have long expired. The only relevance today is whether his past taints his future. During Moos' introductory press conference Moos was asked what qualities he seeks in a head coach. One of the many he listed was a coach who runs a "clean" program. So it could be a factor.

Will be interesting to see how things play out.
I know when it was published the operative words are.......Unless Kelly bombs after just one season with the Eagles and he seeks an entry back into the college game, this won't be an issue

I was fed up with Bo as much as anyone, but I have a hard time calling 9 wins minimum a dumpster fire considering his replacement has won 9 games once in 3 years.
The problem with Bo was not the 9 wins, those wins are the very reason he wasn't canned before he was...The dumpster fire was in Bo's mind.

I used to give MR a pass on the 2015 season given how the players were left with Bo's vitrol-laden rant and the reported toxicity and then lack of player buy in. However, I have since come to think that if MR was really the excellent coach and motivator needed at the time, he could have come in and won over the team and inspired them to buy in despite the challenge. He seems to be a great, positive person, but it seems we needed a little more from him during the coaching transition. I imagine someone like Harbaugh (as much as I can't stand his personality and antics) could have come in blazing and inspired the team more than the golly gee, Andy Griffith approach. IDK, just a thought.

The mistake you make is not looking deeper than the 9 wins over mediocre competitors. The dumpster fire came from the gradual erosion of talent from day 1 of Bo's tenure and the heinous nature of his departure. MR was simply not good enough to overcome that with his youngsters in 2 1/3 years.

I will take a lower floor if it means over 7 years there is a higher ceiling, like 12 and 13 wins with possibly more.

C

The mistake you make is not looking deeper than the 9 wins over mediocre competitors. The dumpster fire came from the gradual erosion of talent from day 1 of Bo's tenure and the heinous nature of his departure. MR was simply not good enough to overcome that with his youngsters in 2 1/3 years.

There was no dumpster fire then,and there isn't one now.

There was no dumpster fire then,and there isn't one now.

Lot of schools' fans would kill for our "dumpster fire". It's all relative. We've been in the alley for the last 15 years warming our hands over a 50 gallon barrel of burning OWH copies that went unsold. I don't think we get to dumpster fire with Moos at the helm.

The mistake you make is that Bo won ugly, sloppy games against mediocre competition and Riley loses ugly, sloppy games to inferior competition. I'm no Bo apologist, I hated the toxicity he created and I'm thrilled he's gone. But the guy that replaced him, who does everything right off the field, is, to use your own words, " not good enough"

I think MR eventually (if he got the time) gets us to where 9 wins is what we can reasonably expect from him. Rarely a dip as bad as this year but maybe a 7-8 win season with the head scratcher NIU type loss. But that’s about the best I’m seeing. I doubt he ever turns that corner we were waiting for Bo to turn for so long. But even if he did get to that corner how far away is that and how much longer would we reasonably expect him to coach? I’m just not seeing a lot of upside, other than not starting over, in keeping him. I hate saying that as I really do like Mike. The regression this year has just really changed my outlook though.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back