• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jerry Kill on PJ Fleck

the girls bball senior captain got wind of a party that several of her teammates were attending. She went to the party got everyone of those girls out of there even though they went not engaged in anything inappropriate.

Smart young lady. :Mfclap:

I hate you all
quote-i-think-the-whole-world-is-dying-to-hear-someone-say-i-love-you-i-think-that-if-i-can-lionel-richie-65-11-37.jpg

I thought highly of Kill, overall, and the loyalty that his staff showed him tells me a lot about what he's like when nobody else is watching.

For me, the jury is still out on Fleck as a person, but I'm convinced that he's a pretty good football coach. Apparently I'm more concerned than others that he's going to be successful at Minnesota. I see his schedule this year, and I look at how they played the last half of the season last year, and I think that they're worth a long-shot bet to win the B1G West. They'll have about the best crossover schedule with only Penn State (at home), and no certainty how Penn State is going to fill some of their players' positions who graduated. They have Nebraska and Wisconsin at home, too. Road games at Iowa, Northwestern, and Purdue aren't exactly terrifying. I don't think anyone gets through the West without a loss, so if they hang in there and beat whoever else is at the top, they could win it.

Pretty close to my view as well. Too bad about Kill's health issues, he could have been trouble there as I think he's a very good coach.

Also thought Fleck was spot-on honest and gracious about the game against us.

"
After packing up from Lincoln following Saturday's 53-28 loss, Fleck praised Nebraska's attention to detail and game plan before shifting the focus to Nebraska's staff.

“These guys are really good coaches, you think those guys don’t know that?” he said. “You think Scott Frost didn’t know that? Did you see how their runs were designed to funnel to certain people? That’s how you do it as a coach. I got outcoached.”"

https://247sports.com/Article/Nebra...leck-says-Minnesota-was-outcoached-123696947/

thought his comments were pretty cool, but can see the potential for jerky behavior also!

I thought highly of Kill, overall, and the loyalty that his staff showed him tells me a lot about what he's like when nobody else is watching.

For me, the jury is still out on Fleck as a person, but I'm convinced that he's a pretty good football coach. Apparently I'm more concerned than others that he's going to be successful at Minnesota. I see his schedule this year, and I look at how they played the last half of the season last year, and I think that they're worth a long-shot bet to win the B1G West. They'll have about the best crossover schedule with only Penn State (at home), and no certainty how Penn State is going to fill some of their players' positions who graduated. They have Nebraska and Wisconsin at home, too. Road games at Iowa, Northwestern, and Purdue aren't exactly terrifying. I don't think anyone gets through the West without a loss, so if they hang in there and beat whoever else is at the top, they could win it.
Fleck has built his whole self-promoting shtick around the “row the boat” thing. He kind of reminds me of a carnival barker.

Still, he has won more games in the last two seasons than NU and he seems to have found a defensive coordinator after the debacle in Memorial Stadium last season.

A win up there this season is not a sure thing at all.

he seems to have found a defensive coordinator after the debacle in Memorial Stadium last season.
I am sorry but statements like this always make me laugh. The guy coached less than a half season as the DC. In situations like this it is often more about match ups than the DC took over and a week later they are better. For instance on the surface you would look at their game against Wiscy and our game against Wiscy and say. See they did better than us. which is true but why? Well we were not very good at stopping the run especially early in the season. Additionally HCSF and staff obviously noticed that they were petty good at stopping the run. So early in the game he threw the ball around to get them on their heals. Then he used misdirection running to keep them on their heals. Whereas Wiscy is more can your big guys beat my big guys?

I am sorry but statements like this always make me laugh. The guy coached less than a half season as the DC. In situations like this it is often more about match ups than the DC took over and a week later they are better. For instance on the surface you would look at their game against Wiscy and our game against Wiscy and say. See they did better than us. which is true but why? Well we were not very good at stopping the run especially early in the season. Additionally HCSF and staff obviously noticed that they were petty good at stopping the run. So early in the game he threw the ball around to get them on their heals. Then he used misdirection running to keep them on their heals. Whereas Wiscy is more can your big guys beat my big guys?

I understand your point, but are we not doing something similar in praising Nebraska and Frost based on the late season successes? Granted, he wasn't replaced before the on field improvement became apparent, but it's not hard to say NU wasn't a very good football team for half the year.

In the case of Minnesota, they did play pretty solid defensive football from the Purdue game on. I'll agree that the matchups for them against say Georgia Tech and to a lessor degree Wisconsin, should have been better than their matchups against Nebraska or Purdue, but even those two games have greatly varying results. In this case I actually do think they've found a good DC. Don't know what they bring back from a player perspective, but in comparison to their early season 2018 performance, it looks to me like they've found something.

I understand your point, but are we not doing something similar in praising Nebraska and Frost based on the late season successes? Granted, he wasn't replaced before the on field improvement became apparent, but it's not hard to say NU wasn't a very good football team for half the year.

In the case of Minnesota, they did play pretty solid defensive football from the Purdue game on. I'll agree that the matchups for them against say Georgia Tech and to a lessor degree Wisconsin, should have been better than their matchups against Nebraska or Purdue, but even those two games have greatly varying results. In this case I actually do think they've found a good DC. Don't know what they bring back from a player perspective, but in comparison to their early season 2018 performance, it looks to me like they've found something.
Your second paragraph I would agree with most of what you say. I would argue that we need to see what they look like over the whole next year.

As for the first. No it is not the same at least for most of us. We talked about the steady improvement throughout the year. Not a miraculous one guy made a difference in one week improvement.

Your second paragraph I would agree with most of what you say. I would argue that we need to see what they look like over the whole next year.

As for the first. No it is not the same at least for most of us. We talked about the steady improvement throughout the year. Not a miraculous one guy made a difference in one week improvement.

Don't disagree at all that he's not ready to have a trophy named after him for coaching five out six games and the results in the future will determine just how good he really is.

Understood and you're right. We did talk about steady improvement (other than the Michigan game) and not wallowing in crap. IMO, I base the optimism I have for the 2019 season on how well the team played starting with the Northwestern game. That partial season speaks more to me of the future than do the prior six games. I'm of the same opinion in regards to Minnesota's DC. They showed me something. Granted, team success isn't solely in the hands of a coordinator and they may not even equal last years 7 wins.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back