• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It won't get any easier next year

First things first, it’s the failures against Northern Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern and the near collapse against the Arkansas States that must be addressed.... with the talent on the roster those results are inexcusable... will worry about Top 20 match ups when they are consistently winning the games they should be winning

First things first, it’s the failures against Northern Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern and the near collapse against the Arkansas States that must be addressed.... with the talent on the roster those results are inexcusable... will worry about Top 20 match ups when they are consistently winning the games they should be winning
Yup.
Those are "the games that matter" too.

2019 is the "easiest" schedule out of the next 4 years.

2020,2021 gets brutal again, finally get a "lower-tier team" in Maryland (2020), and Rutgers (2021)
It's not even possible to predict with much certainty how tough NEXT year's schedule will be. Not even worth trying beyond that.

Agreed. 7 or 8 wins aren't a pipe dream at all.

Even if Nebraska gets Frost, I don't see how we can predict win totals simply because we don't know which players are going to be in Lincoln in August 2018 and how those players fit into what the OC and DC will want to do.

The guys who are rising seniors without redshirts to take IMO are the only ones we can confidently say will be in Lincoln. So Lee's probably staying. Gebbia's Dad has specifically said he'd be unhappy with a coaching change. We also don't know how guys like Spielman, McQuitty and Bradley are going to react to not being in the pro style offense they were recruited for by Langsdorf and Riley, and we don't know if Tre's rehab is going go to well. I'm *really* worried about Tre because as Riley said, the core of his problem is he's got "old knees."

Even if Nebraska gets Frost, I don't see how we can predict win totals simply because we don't know which players are going to be in Lincoln in August 2018 and how those players fit into what the OC and DC will want to do.

The guys who are rising seniors without redshirts to take IMO are the only ones we can confidently say will be in Lincoln. So Lee's probably staying. Gebbia's Dad has specifically said he'd be unhappy with a coaching change. We also don't know how guys like Spielman, McQuitty and Bradley are going to react to not being in the pro style offense they were recruited for by Langsdorf and Riley, and we don't know if Tre's rehab is going go to well. I'm *really* worried about Tre because as Riley said, the core of his problem is he's got "old knees."

There will be some guys move on but I wouldn't expect a mass exodus. I think we will hire well which will calm a lot of nerves. If you are in line to start at Nebraska next year, why would you transfer and sit a year at another school where you will still have to compete for a job when you finally become eligible? I can see Lee declaring for the draft if the offense doesn't suit his skill set. I can also see whoever doesn't win the QB job between O'Brien and Gebbia transferring, but I think that was likely to happen even if Riley were still going to be here.

Last edited:

Honestly I'm not sure I've heard a legit name on the wish list that wouldn't at least be bowl eligible. A good hire and who knows what they can do.
Yes. The sky is the limit. Taking Ohio State into the 4th Qtr., no more f around. No more ho hum. Winning matters. NU just hired a guy who lost as much as he won, what the hell kinda message does that really send? It's bled within the program. Geez man, it's sad.

It's not even possible to predict with much certainty how tough NEXT year's schedule will be. Not even worth trying beyond that.

With the goal of winning the BIGTEN west, 2019 is the most favorable in the next 4 years based on the cross-division games.

Last edited:
Trends can tell some of that. I mean, you pretty much know who's more than likely gonna be tough, bye and large, within the BIG. Can get a little more dicey on the out of conference stuff, as most of those are scheduled way out there. I'm still hopeful NU can offer up some resistance, and substance, by time they play OU in 2020, and 2021.

The Big does parity based scheduling, meaning the traditional better programs play each other more often.

I wish they would take a harder look at the last 10-15 years. We look a lot more like Rutgers and Indiana than we do Ohio St. Time to load up Wisky's schedule and cut us some slack!

The Big does parity based scheduling, meaning the traditional better programs play each other more often.

Unless you are Wisconsin, they have benefited greatly from the scheduling the last 5 years. Look at how often they have crossover games with OSU, Michigan, and MSU compared to NU. It's ridiculous.

Agree that the schedule is a killer,but our talent level is better than our won -lost record. I believe that good coaching can coach up the players we have.The attitude needs changing I believe. I reiterate that I am not a qualified coach.Just a fan sharing my unsolicited opinion of our Huskers.
Our talent level leaves a lot to be desired, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Linebackers need mores speed. You build a team from the inside out.

I'm not predicting, just saying 7-8 wins is a possibility. If you asked me to pick a win total for 2018 today, I wouldn't for all the reasons you list and more not just on the Nebraska side of the slate. Conversely, another clunker is possible because 2018 is, on paper in November of 2017, a tough schedule. It's my expectation that improved play based off sounder fundamentals puts Nebraska in a better position to win the games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back