• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It is really not that bad...

Hotlanta Husker

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
First thing is first... everyone here needs to stop disrespecting Troy... That is a top 3 G5 team. Yes Boise curb stomped them but against Boise they actually were only out yarded by 37 yards and had 4 turnovers. That Troy team is going to be 10-1 when they meet App St the last week of the season.

Nebraska is not nearly as good nor as bad as you think. Stupid mistakes absolutely linger... penalties of the 15 yard variety have ruined 2 ball games for us. When this team stops beating themselves they will have passed the first hurdle.

The offense... you must must must must have a QB that can move... in the pocket and be a threat to keep the ball and do something other than dive forward for 3 yards. Martinez when healthy is the guy that makes this boat row. Yes, the OL needs to be better but with Bunch even when there was a lane to run in or time to throw...he was exactly what he is... a serviceable 3rd string QB. Dare I say Ryker Fyfe would have put up more points on Saturday. We got a little vanilla on Saturday and I assume it was because of the playbook limitations.

The defense... if we stop the stupid mental mistakes this a pretty darn good crew... We held Troy to their lowest offensive output in 15 games (Boise of 2017)... Holding a team to 17 offensive points that regularly puts up 40... I am fine with that. The DL looks great.

Special Teams... I really don't understand what it so hard about this... The coaches need to have every guy including the dang punter and kickers running gassers... NO EXCUSE. Get it fixed.

Last edited:

And then Boise got curb stomped by Oklahoma State.
not really... Yards were nearly identical (414-422)... Boise had 4 more first downs... I also think Okie St is the most dynamic offense in the country outside of Columbus, Tuscaloosa and Norman...

Boise is a good football team... The Pokes, WVU and Sooners are going to have a heck of a tussle for that conference... TCU and Iowa State are pretty good but a step down from those 3.

not really... Yards were nearly identical (414-422)... Boise had 4 more first downs... I also think Okie St is the most dynamic offense in the country outside of Columbus, Tuscaloosa and Norman...

Boise is a good football team... The Pokes, WVU and Sooners are going to have a heck of a tussle for that conference... TCU and Iowa State are pretty good but a step down from those 3.

Okie State's defense was what was impressive. 34 yards rushing for Boise ... and sacked 7 times.

TCU may still be the best.

UT is in that "step down" group.

I started a thread on Saturday suggesting the Big 12 may be the best conference.

Anyhow, yes... Troy isn't a bad team. I picked 'em to beat Nebraska in our contest for a reason.

Last edited:
Okie State's defense was what was impressive. 34 yards rushing for Boise ... and sacked 7 times.

TCU may still be the best.

UT is in that "step down" group.

I started a thread on Saturday suggesting the Big 12 may be the best conference.

Anyhow, yes... Troy isn't a bad team. I picked 'em to beat Nebraska in our contest for a reason.
34 yards rushing was fantastic. I was all over Okie St this week, so happy it came home with authority as I told all my buddies to hammer it.

First thing is first... everyone here needs to stop disrespecting Troy... That is a top 3 G5 team. Yes Boise curb stomped them but against Boise they actually were only out yarded by 37 yards and had 4 turnovers. That Troy team is going to be 10-1 when they meet App St the last week of the season.

Nebraska is not nearly as good nor as bad as you think. Stupid mistakes absolutely linger... penalties of the 15 yard variety have ruined 2 ball games for us. When this team stops beating themselves they will have passed the first hurdle.

The offense... you must must must must have a QB that can move... in the pocket and be a threat to keep the ball and do something other than dive forward for 3 yards. Martinez when healthy is the guy that makes this boat row. Yes, the OL needs to be better but with Bunch even when there was a lane to run in or time to throw...he was exactly what he is... a serviceable 3rd string QB. Dare I say Ryker Fyfe would have put up more points on Saturday. We got a little vanilla on Saturday and I assume it was because of the playbook limitations.

The defense... if we stop the stupid mental mistakes this a pretty darn good crew... We held Troy to their lowest offensive output in 15 games (Boise of 2017)... Holding a team to 17 offensive points that regularly puts up 40... I am fine with that. The DL looks great.

Special Teams... I really don't understand what it so hard about this... The coaches need to have every guy including the dang punter and kickers running gassers... NO EXCUSE. Get it fixed.

I tend to agree. What Saturday confirmed was something we already knew...that NU has no depth in some critical areas. The Martinez injury couldn't be helped obviously. But his absence left me looking at the offensive performance against Troy and basically throwing it out the window. Mo Barry on the other hand could have been "helped". I get that things are happening at 100 MPH during the game but he, and the rest of the defense, need to be smart and not get themselves kicked out of games. With the new rules it's going to happen occasionally but his was totally avoidable. And his absence was felt on just about every big play from Troy after that.

As for special teams. Yeah, tough love or whatever but 20 yard punts and punt returns for TDs can't happen.

Now that the fog has cleared I still stick by what I was saying saturday. WITH Martinez and assuming no major defensive injuries the only team on the schedule NU has no chance of beating is OSU. The big 10, particularly the big 10 west, is nothing special. I'm not saying they'll go 8-1 the rest of the way. No way. But this doesn't have to be a 4 win season either.

I tend to agree. What Saturday confirmed was something we already knew...that NU has no depth in some critical areas. The Martinez injury couldn't be helped obviously. But his absence left me looking at the offensive performance against Troy and basically throwing it out the window. Mo Barry on the other hand could have been "helped". I get that things are happening at 100 MPH during the game but he, and the rest of the defense, need to be smart and not get themselves kicked out of games. With the new rules it's going to happen occasionally but his was totally avoidable. And his absence was felt on just about every big play from Troy after that.

As for special teams. Yeah, tough love or whatever but 20 yard punts and punt returns for TDs can't happen.

Now that the fog has cleared I still stick by what I was saying saturday. WITH Martinez and assuming no major defensive injuries the only team on the schedule NU has no chance of beating is OSU. The big 10, particularly the big 10 west, is nothing special. I'm not saying they'll go 8-1 the rest of the way. No way. But this doesn't have to be a 4 win season either.

Agree regarding the offensive performance. NU is a different team with AM at the helm. Even just above average QB play can take an otherwise bad team and make them respectable. Tommy Armstrong in 2016 is Exhibit A. An elite QB can take a good team and make them great (see Crouch, Eric). AM is the difference between 2 or 3 wins and 6 or 7 wins.

Last edited:

Nebraska fans are sort of known for marginalizing opponents. CU was being called the "Puffaloes" and Troy was a slim cut above a high school team in many fans' eyes. I totally agree that Troy is legit - well coached and athletic.

The only thing that bothered me about the Troy game is that in contrast to CU (where I thought NU played harder but lost due to untimely mistakes), Troy outplayed and outcoached Nebraska. The post-game narrative was that Nebraska shot itself in the foot again, but I didn't see it that way. Troy had more penalty yards and 2 giveaways. I saw a team that wanted it just a little bit more.

Last edited:
I agree...hate to say it, but Nebraska was outcoached. Now, if Martinez had played, it might have been a different story as Frost would have called a different game.

If the first game goes without a hitch and Martinez doesn't get hurt, we are 3-0 and Husker fans would be overreacting in the opposite direction.

Everyone needs to calm down. We are going to be fine...this year.

We knew we had things to sort out. Undisciplined play and stupid mistakes are unexpected but all will get fixed.

I think the biggest concern going forward is the OL. But we as a fanbase have been used to this as we are into our second decade with this problem.

I like that this team has a bloody nose early. It makes it that much tougher for the rest of the BIG. I am still calling for a bowl game. Its likely not going to be as shiny as I once thought but we can get to one.

Good thread so far. I agree with your post for the most - the offense, as in Frost’s offense does not necessarily need a dynamic runner, Oregon was in the national title game with a serviceable runner. Now this N team, with the o line that whiffs at the simplest of blocks needs Martinez and a dynamic runner or a quick blinker that can read the d find best wr/dB matchup and zing the ball out in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately, Bunch is neither at this point and Martinez is dynamic as a runner and close with the read/throw part. If Martinez can stay healthy this season and get game seasoned...
Team needs to learn how to win, by that you basically covered it with mental errors, and this team could be good. I also believe if our o line can go from being a bunch of clowns to a group that goes for the jugular that wants to hit and strike it could yet be pretty salty. Bunch, really needed the help of solid line play and he didn’t get it, hopefully he will progress with continued reps in practice, he has flashes but at this time still throws to often into coverage, here’s to Martinez health!

Here’s a couple sentences from Athlon...

A collection of talent, but not a fully functional unit. It’s clear that head coach Scott Frost inherited a program that’s not totally unlike UCF was in terms of its mentality when he walked through the door. This is a program that has forgotten how to win and you don’t build that culture overnight.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...otting-cornhuskers-path-bowl-eligibility-2018

Nebraska fans are sort of known for marginalizing opponents. CU was being called the "Puffaloes" and Troy was a slim cut above a high school team in many fans' eyes. I totally agree that Troy is legit - well coached and athletic.

The only thing that bothered me about the Troy game is that in contrast to CU (where I thought NU played harder but lost due to untimely mistakes), Troy outplayed and outcoached Nebraska. The post-game narrative was that Nebraska shot itself in the foot again, but I didn't see it that way. Troy had more penalty yards and 2 giveaways. I saw a team that wanted it just a little bit more.
As far as being outcoached I think the o-coaches just don't trust Bunch on a lot of the offense despite what they tell the media. Playcalling reflected that.

On the defensive side, there is no doubt the Troy offense set up the Husker defense on multiple occasions taking advantage of their over pursuit and tendencies. But that is football. Its a game of adjustments. Learn what happened and don't let it happen again.

Special teams is a concern but its more wait and see. Punt returns happen. If they happen a lot, then its a problem. Freshmen kickers are often scary and inconsistent. I hope no game comes down to a needed 44 yard FG.

If the first game goes without a hitch and Martinez doesn't get hurt, we are 3-0 and Husker fans would be overreacting in the opposite direction.

Everyone needs to calm down. We are going to be fine...this year.

We knew we had things to sort out. Undisciplined play and stupid mistakes are unexpected but all will get fixed.

I think the biggest concern going forward is the OL. But we as a fanbase have been used to this as we are into our second decade with this problem.

I like that this team has a bloody nose early. It makes it that much tougher for the rest of the BIG. I am still calling for a bowl game. Its likely not going to be as shiny as I once thought but we can get to one.

I think most fans are calm. The few that are freaking out tend to be in chicken little mode full-time. A bowl game hinges on AM's health.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back