• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Scott Frost too young and inexperienced?

Bingo! We hired an experienced guy. What the supporters said was “give him the resources and watch him take off.” The problem is even though he was .500ish, his last 5 years before Eichorst threw him a lifeline were well below. Due to his finesse philosophy, even in 2010 he wouldn’t have been a good fit. Hiring him in 2014 given his then recent trending, lack of evolution etc. was almost criminally negligent.
Yep. In a nutshell. It was butt stupid to be honest. That's why he no longer has a job.

I think the experience factor is overrated. Guys kind of either have it or they don't.

I really want Frost to be coaching NU next year but I am concerned the expectations are way out of line with reality. He won't have the QB or RBs to run his offense and the OL is not good at run blocking. The defense is in no mans land in terms of being in transition between schemes. That doesn't even get to the mentality that has to be instilled. It won't be an easy process no matter who's coaching.

As far as recruiting goes, Frost has had time to cultivate relationships with Florida high school coaches. In my opinion, Florida may have the best talent in the country; if not, it's certainly near the top.

Riley is a great recruiter except where it counts...in the trenches. It doesn't matter how great your QB or RBs are if you don't have a good line.

I think the o line has talent, at least based on stars/offers. Which is meaningless if you can't coach them up.

I think all three QBs we have could run Frost’s offense effectively. Sure, they may tweak it more for a Tanner Lee so he doesn’t run the ball, but many of the concepts can stay the same I.e. either hand the ball off to a RB going up the middle or instead fake that and pass the ball. They do that like any offense these days. Both POB and Gebbia can actually do some run options off the spread concept and all three can roll out and pass the ball. I think you’re not watching Frost’s offense in action. It is, in fact, pretty QB friendly-both a run based QB or a pro style QB. In all instances, he wants a QB that throws better than he runs, I believe.

As far as experience factor, look at the LA Rams, with the youngest coach in NFL history at 31. He is doing very well in his first year, because he hired a great veteran DC in Wade Phillips and other asst coaches with experience. That’s what good coaches do. They aren’t like Bo, who hired youngish guys with little to no experience.

Bob Devaney – born 1915

Coaching experience:

Prior to Wyoming coached various high school

1957-61 Wyoming Head Coach

1962-72 Nebraska Head Coach

Age 47 when he became head coach at Nebraska

Scott Frost – born 1975

Coaching experience:

2002 Nebraska GA

2006 Kansas State GA

2007 Northern Iowa LB

2008 Northern Iowa Co-DC/LB

200912 Oregon WR

2013-15 Oregon OC/QB

2016 to Present – UCF Head Coach

Scott will be 43 if he becomes head coach at Nebraska
Perfect timing in my opinion!

Scott Frost has seen the lowest of lows as a Husker -- Arizona State 19-NU 0 and Texas 37-NU 27 come to mind -- and the highest of highs, 42-17 over Tennessee and a share of the NC. He's a Nebraska kid. He knows the expectations. He knows the challenges. And when all's said and done, I can't imagine him saying no if Bill Moos gives Tom Osborne the green light to call SF to think it over.

Scott Frost has seen the lowest of lows as a Husker -- Arizona State 19-NU 0 and Texas 37-NU 27 come to mind -- and the highest of highs, 42-17 over Tennessee and a share of the NC. He's a Nebraska kid. He knows the expectations. He knows the challenges. And when all's said and done, I can't imagine him saying no if Bill Moos gives Tom Osborne the green light to call SF to think it over.
FYI - there was no share. That's a Michigan fantasy.

I watched the UCF-Navy game and I was not that impressed with the UCF QB. Both the Navy QBs were better. His side arm throwing motion of will not cut it in the BiG. The talent around him was very good and OL dominated the second half.

UCF is currently at 60/40 run/pass. Just about perfect from my perspective. Now whether SF wants to come here is the unknowable answer to the question. He most certainly won't get into any direct conversations with Moos until after the regular season. We might have a better sense this week, but they played the AD hire close to the chest and I expect the same with the HC search.

I watched the UCF-Navy game and I was not that impressed with the UCF QB. Both the Navy QBs were better. His side arm throwing motion of will not cut it in the BiG. The talent around him was very good and OL dominated the second half.

UCF is currently at 60/40 run/pass. Just about perfect from my perspective. Now whether SF wants to come here is the unknowable answer to the question. He most certainly won't get into any direct conversations with Moos until after the regular season. We might have a better sense this week, but they played the AD hire close to the chest and I expect the same with the HC search.

well, frost wont be bringing his qb with him so...

Experienced enough to do what? Be a head coach, sure. What are the qualifications we are looking for? When I advertise for a open position, I know exactly what I want. Recipe for disaster if we base our hiring on something as arbitrary as this.

I think all three QBs we have could run Frost’s offense effectively. Sure, they may tweak it more for a Tanner Lee so he doesn’t run the ball, but many of the concepts can stay the same I.e. either hand the ball off to a RB going up the middle or instead fake that and pass the ball. They do that like any offense these days. Both POB and Gebbia can actually do some run options off the spread concept and all three can roll out and pass the ball. I think you’re not watching Frost’s offense in action. It is, in fact, pretty QB friendly-both a run based QB or a pro style QB. In all instances, he wants a QB that throws better than he runs, I believe.

I think Frost could tweak his offense to work with POB or Gebbia. I don't see Lee fitting that system. You give up too much of the offense to have a QB that is no threat at all to run. It makes the offense much easier to defend, especially if we don't have stud RBs to carry the entirety of the load in the running game. No way of knowing for sure unless Frost is the Husker coach next year, but I just don't see Lee starting in Frost's offense. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Lee declare for the draft if Riley is fired and someone like Frost is hired, especially if Lee keeps his completion percentage near 60 for the remainder of the season. He knows the scouts will drool over his arm strength and quick release.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back