• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Scott Frost too young and inexperienced?

UCF wasn't 0-12 because they didn't have talent. They were expected to have a very good season that year with 8 or 9 wins. UCF suffered from a coaching meltdown. SF didn't come into a program with nothing to work with. He inherited a pretty talent rich team (for the AAC) and was able to win the confidence of the team quickly because they were thirsty for leadership and he brought excitement.

SF coming to Nebraska might not mean instant success like he has shown at UCF. How patient would the fan base be with him if he started 6-7, doesn't have us contending for division title in year 3, doesn't run the ball enough, etc?

I think a lot of the SF bandwagoneers have extremely high expectations of him that he might not live up to. I like Frost and hope that he does end up at Nebraska because I think he is becoming one of the great coaches. I also want him to do what is right for him and that might not be coming back to Nebraska...maybe not right now. His call.

Aren’t the things you raise applicable to any coach that comes here?

He has more experience now that Tom Osborne had when he took over Head Coach duties at NU.
Im thinking Dabo Sweeney was pretty young and relatively inexperienced, worked out pretty well for Clemson as well.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the SF bandwagoneers have extremely high expectations of him that he might not live up to. I like Frost and hope that he does end up at Nebraska because I think he is becoming one of the great coaches. I also want him to do what is right for him and that might not be coming back to Nebraska...maybe not right now. His call.

Agree....100%

• Way back in the day Oklahoma hired this 36-year old kid as their head coach. That know-nothing wet-behind-the-ears guy had no experience as a head coach yet he figured out how to win 3 NCs and 12 conference championships.
  • 26 years later Oklahoma did it again and hired another 38-year old kid with no head coaching experience. He won a NC and played for a few more. Also won 10 conference championships.
  • How about one more? Last summer Oklahoma hired a 34-year old with no head coaching experience.
Nebraska's current head coach had 14 years of experience being a head coach at the D1 level before being hired by Nebraska.
You left out the 3 more years he had as San Diego's coach. :Biggrin:

NU will be fortunate if Frost is interested.

Let's be honest, NU hasn't really attracted the biggest, brightest and most successful HC's in past 20 years.

Attracted? Or pursued? I'm not sure we spent much time actually finding out just exactly who of the best and brightest may or may not have had an interest.

Bob Devaney – born 1915

Coaching experience:

Prior to Wyoming coached various high school

1957-61 Wyoming Head Coach

1962-72 Nebraska Head Coach

Age 47 when he became head coach at Nebraska

Scott Frost – born 1975

Coaching experience:

2002 Nebraska GA

2006 Kansas State GA

2007 Northern Iowa LB

2008 Northern Iowa Co-DC/LB

200912 Oregon WR

2013-15 Oregon OC/QB

2016 to Present – UCF Head Coach

Scott will be 43 if he becomes head coach at Nebraska
I'm going with no, he isn't. He started his college football career at Stanford, he's not dumb. That being said I think and alot of us think and see, he's ready to rock and roll.

I'm totally on board with Frost being the head coach at NU. He's neither too young or inexperienced. There aren't many marquee names out there and Frost isn't any more of a risk than any other coach.

Coaching is a lot like sales...you either have "it" or you don't have "it." My impression of Frost is he has "it."

If he is pursued by Pac 12 and SEC schools as anticipated, that pretty much answers the question for me.

As a side note, while watching the Navy game I couldn't help but notice how his sideline demeanor was calm, collected and in control at all times -- reminds me of TO without the gum chewing.

UCF wasn't 0-12 because they didn't have talent. They were expected to have a very good season that year with 8 or 9 wins. UCF suffered from a coaching meltdown. SF didn't come into a program with nothing to work with. He inherited a pretty talent rich team (for the AAC) and was able to win the confidence of the team quickly because they were thirsty for leadership and he brought excitement.

SF coming to Nebraska might not mean instant success like he has shown at UCF. How patient would the fan base be with him if he started 6-7, doesn't have us contending for division title in year 3, doesn't run the ball enough, etc?

I don’t buy it, but the hype train says Riley is an ace recruiter. Personally, I think he’s slightly better than Bo, assisted by a doubling of resources. But regardless, what most people have concluded what ails Nebraska isn’t a lack of talent, it’s a lack of coaching and a disciplined tough culture. The bottom line is Frosty came into a program that was a mess, changed the offense the defense, more than anything the culture and is winning big. Will his record in year 2 be as good in the BIG? Probably not. But if we continue down the path with a guy who’s obviously in over his head and hasn’t evolved with the game, we’ll only continue to tread water.

Experience is overrated at times. Look how experienced Riley is, and he’s terrible. Sometimes, if you see some really high upside potential in an individual, it’s worth the risk.
Bingo! We hired an experienced guy. What the supporters said was “give him the resources and watch him take off.” The problem is even though he was .500ish, his last 5 years before Eichorst threw him a lifeline were well below. Due to his finesse philosophy, even in 2010 he wouldn’t have been a good fit. Hiring him in 2014 given his then recent trending, lack of evolution etc. was almost criminally negligent.

Last edited:

I don’t buy it, but the hype train says Riley is an ace recruiter. Personally, I think he’s slightly better than Bo, assisted by a doubling of resources. But regardless, what most people have concluded what ails Nebraska isn’t a lack of talent, it’s a lack of coaching and a disciplined tough culture. The bottom line is Frosty came into a program that was a mess, changed the offense the defense, more than anything the culture and is winning big. Will his record in year 2 be as good in the BIG? Probably not. But if we continue down the path with a guy who’s obviously in over his head and hasn’t evolved with the game, we’ll only continue to tread water.

As far as recruiting goes, Frost has had time to cultivate relationships with Florida high school coaches. In my opinion, Florida may have the best talent in the country; if not, it's certainly near the top.

Riley is a great recruiter except where it counts...in the trenches. It doesn't matter how great your QB or RBs are if you don't have a good line.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back