• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Scott Frost too young and inexperienced?

Husker in Spokane

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Bob Devaney – born 1915

Coaching experience:

Prior to Wyoming coached various high school

1957-61 Wyoming Head Coach

1962-72 Nebraska Head Coach

Age 47 when he became head coach at Nebraska

Scott Frost – born 1975

Coaching experience:

2002 Nebraska GA

2006 Kansas State GA

2007 Northern Iowa LB

2008 Northern Iowa Co-DC/LB

200912 Oregon WR

2013-15 Oregon OC/QB

2016 to Present – UCF Head Coach

Scott will be 43 if he becomes head coach at Nebraska

He would certainly be less experienced than many (probably most) new coaches at P5 programs. Whether he is as experienced as Devaney was is a bit irrelevant. The real question is: is he experienced enough to lead a P5 program. That's a question that can only be answered after the fact. He seems promising, but promising isn't a guarantee.

If SF runs the tables in the AAC and gets a spot in the playoff, No. If not I think he might need another year in the oven.

I wouldn't confuse youth with maturity level. I'd wager Frost has the maturity to handle the job. He might be overwhelmed at first, but there's nothing in his known past that indicates he going to stink it up due to immaturity (see Kiffin, Lane).

Frost is the son of two long time HS football coaches. He played college football as a QB in both a West Coast scheme and also a triple option attack and won a National Championship in one of the most dominant programs of all time. He then switched to the defensive side and played 3 years in the NFL, where he also played on special teams.

He's been coached by Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, and Jon Gruden.

He's coached college football for 15 years including being a DC, an OC, and now HC.

He took over a 0-12 UCF team and went 6-7 his first year and is now 5-0 in his second.

"Inexperienced" is a buzz-word thrown out a lot when discussing potential coaches, but it doesn't seem to fit with Scott Frost. I'm not sure how much more actual quality football exposure a guy could have.

Last edited:

Here is the thing........lets give him some help. Hire some great assistants and have an athletic director that puts a staff in place to help him through all the non-coaching duties and recruiting. From everything I am hearing Billy Devaney has been filling a nice role with MR on football operations. Try to keep his responsibilities down to primarily coaching instead of a dozen radio/TV shows and booster meet and greets.

I think everyone believes he has the coaching savoy. Id rather have someone who seems to have "it" but lacks experience than someone who lacks "it" and has had nothing but years and years of experience at the mediocre level.

Last edited:
He would certainly be less experienced than many (probably most) new coaches at P5 programs. Whether he is as experienced as Devaney was is a bit irrelevant. The real question is: is he experienced enough to lead a P5 program. That's a question that can only be answered after the fact. He seems promising, but promising isn't a guarantee.
I have to say that I dig your avatar!

Frost is the son of two long time HS football coaches. He played college football as a QB in both a West Coast scheme and also a triple option attack and won a National Championship in one of the most dominant programs of all time. He then switched to the defensive side and played 3 years in the NFL, where he also played on special teams.

He's been coached by Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, and Jon Gruden.

He's coached college football for 15 years including being a DC, an OC, and now HC.

He took over a 0-12 UCF team and went 6-7 his first year and is now 5-0 in his second.

"Inexperienced" is a buzz-word thrown out a lot when discussing potential coaches, but it doesn't seem to fit with Scott Frost. I'm not sure how much more actual quality football exposure a guy could have.

UCF wasn't 0-12 because they didn't have talent. They were expected to have a very good season that year with 8 or 9 wins. UCF suffered from a coaching meltdown. SF didn't come into a program with nothing to work with. He inherited a pretty talent rich team (for the AAC) and was able to win the confidence of the team quickly because they were thirsty for leadership and he brought excitement.

SF coming to Nebraska might not mean instant success like he has shown at UCF. How patient would the fan base be with him if he started 6-7, doesn't have us contending for division title in year 3, doesn't run the ball enough, etc?

I think a lot of the SF bandwagoneers have extremely high expectations of him that he might not live up to. I like Frost and hope that he does end up at Nebraska because I think he is becoming one of the great coaches. I also want him to do what is right for him and that might not be coming back to Nebraska...maybe not right now. His call.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back