• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it really about 'Wins and Losses'?

GoBlueDavid

Red Shirt
This short OP is about what makes a ‘Great Team’…..not a ‘good one’…but a GREAT one.

The Question:
What indispensable part of a team lifts it from good to great?

….I put forth the answer is a ‘Great’ Coach.

Herb Brooks, the legendary hockey coach of the Gold medal US Olympic team once said:
"My recruiting key -- I looked for PEOPLE first, athletes second. I wanted people with a sound value system as you cannot buy values. You're only as good as your values. I learned early on that you do not put greatness into people...but somehow try to pull it out."

If you look at history and spend a little time studying some truly great teams of almost any sport…not teams that just ‘win’….. but more the teams that have ‘dominated’ their sport and then some how....in the next season they simply reset and reload and do it all again…and then again. These teams ALL seem to have a common thread running through them…..

a truly GREAT coach....

Coach Scott Frost who won the FBS Coach of the Year award, is quoted as saying:

"Nebraska's home to me, I love it. I know how much we can accomplish there and what I’m most proud about isn’t the wins and losses, it’s the relationships we built in Orlando and the difference that we made and I can’t wait to do the same in Nebraska."

It’s been said that just about anyone can coach…. All you have to do is have a clip-board with x’s and o’s….” “and say….stand here…run there….try harder….go faster….do it again”… you don’t have to be a ‘good’ person….or even a nice one. You don’t have to be a genius….. or even very smart…just show up...look like the boss and get on with it....

…but to be a GREAT coach, well that is entirely a different matter.

First, you must LOVE your sport….truly love it. Not “like it”… there is a huge difference here. To ‘like’ something speaks of a casual relationship with it…..but to LOVE something is a type of immersion into it. A selfless life long giving for it….. a cherishing of it.

Second, you have to know….truly know your sport. You must be a student of the past…present and future of it…. . Taught by the best your sport has to offer….. learning from the current ‘masters',..…you drink in the years of knowledge they give to you…..your grateful…humbled by the chance to learn from the best…. And you never forget where the knowledge you now hold came from….and you know that what you will ‘add’ to the sport will be built upon the wisdom of those who came before and gave it to you….

Third, You must have ‘lived in the trenches of your sport’ ….. breathed its air…. Felt its pain…..paid the very personal price for its highest rewards…. Have taken in the view from the summit of your sport…. breathed that rarified air…and now you desire, with all your heart to bring others, who just like you…have the ‘love’ necessary and the values necessary to climb with you to that same peak, again and again …..

….”its about relationships”….. said Coach Frost.

…yes it is….

….its never about the wins and losses….
…it has always and will always be about the relationships…..

“I don’t want the best ones….. I want the right ones”
Herb Brooks.

3014b91653d610f8b7e9c5d341eb5396.jpg

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

Dr. Tom Osborne

Cheers
:Cheers:

Last edited:
I agree Herb Brooks one of the greats of all time. What he did with that team was remarkable. The ones he kept off that team at the time made you scratch your head. He looked for players he knew would bring out the best in each other. Then when they started getting a big head about themselves he lined up a game with the Soviets just to bring em down to earth as to say...you're not there yet

I agree Herb Brooks one of the greats of all time. What he did with that team was remarkable. The ones he kept off that team at the time made you scratch your head. He looked for players he knew would bring out the best in each other. Then when they started getting a big head about themselves he lined up a game with the Soviets just to bring em down to earth as to say...you're not there yet

"You win with people, not with talent. So the quality of the people is very important in building your team. I always looked for people with a solid value system. Then I recruited kids from a cross-section of different personalities, talents and styles of play."

"You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."
Herb Brooks

GREAT teams win with 'people'....and a coach who 'leads' them.

"You win with people, not with talent. So the quality of the people is very important in building your team. I always looked for people with a solid value system. Then I recruited kids from a cross-section of different personalities, talents and styles of play."

"You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."
Herb Brooks

GREAT teams win with 'people'....and a coach who 'leads' them.
Yep

Pops, you can see the proof of that in the quotes being reported of every recruit ....the seed of a 'real relationship'.... the promise of something 'more' than just football. Yes, it will be fun to watch.... and inspiring.

I think Scott will teach the kids like Herb did.

The name of the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back

...who do you play for?

...again.

.....blow it again....

...the beginning of spring ball will be the 'blow it again phase....":Thecreedsign:

...We know who will be playing Herb....

...the real question is who will our "Eruzione" be....

Last edited:
“The way that he talks, and talking to the assistant coaches, just tells me special things that are going on in Nebraska. I think Nebraska is a sleeping giant and I think Coach Frost is going to pull the blanket right off of that giant. Nebraska is going to be a tough team to handle pretty soon.”

This is a quote from our latest recruit!

I hope Frost is a great coach. I think that's getting a little ahead of ourselves though. I am focused on short term goals, and great coach status seems to be long term goal.

I'm hoping Frost can get Nebraska to a bowl in year one. Then we'll go from there.

I hope Frost is a great coach. I think that's getting a little ahead of ourselves though. I am focused on short term goals, and great coach status seems to be long term goal.

I'm hoping Frost can get Nebraska to a bowl in year one. Then we'll go from there.

Seth,

I believe if you listen to the 'players' on the Oregon teams...and on the UCF teams and the 'men' who have played with Scott.... the 'hope' you have of Coach Frost being a 'great coach'...has already taken place and is getting more refined year by year...season by season.

...only a few have what Coach Frost ALREADY possess. Knowledge...Love....and the nonscientific ability to 'connect with' and "draw out" the very best ...from the players will lead.

Seth, this IS what a Great Coach IS.....

...already accomplished.

What we are waiting for ...is how long will it take to implement the package at Lincoln.

This is what the OP is trying to convey...(perhaps clumsily)

Best to you.

"Is it really about 'Wins and Losses?"

In the end, yes it is. The goal is to win all the games, (Championships). All the talk about "relationships" may have a "feel good" touch to the rhetoric, important to part of the over all development of the program, that leads to the wins during the season and to the Championships. However, in today's big money collegiate sports venue, it is (however unfortunately truthful) all about the wins and losses.

I have said many times before, I will be in my seat at Memorial Stadium, screaming my lungs out for the coaches and the team. But, this next year not be a cake walk for Frost and the Huskers. I want our Huskers to win them all, for us to win the West, win the Big10 and be in the playoffs and eventually bring home a National Championship Trophy. It is going to take time.

In the end, yes it is. The goal is to win all the games, (Championships). All the talk about "relationships" may have a "feel good" touch to the rhetoric, important to part of the over all development of the program, that leads to the wins during the season and to the Championships. However, in today's big money collegiate sports venue, it is (however unfortunately truthful) all about the wins and losses.

I have said many times before, I will be in my seat at Memorial Stadium, screaming my lungs out for the coaches and the team. But, this next year not be a cake walk for Frost and the Huskers. I want our Huskers to win them all, for us to win the West, win the Big10 and be in the playoffs and eventually bring home a National Championship Trophy. It is going to take time.

Hello Goal-Line,

Thanks for your reply and input.

I understand the need for W's, and it is my thought that 'great' teams... are born not out of W's but 'first' out of relationships.

Now, the great news with this is that W's are almost an immediate result of a relationship driven team.

..so, you have W's...... and so much more foundational, you have strengthened your program going forward....for even more W's.

In today's society there is the absence of meaning... belonging....replaced by the surface and immediate.

When you scratch the surface of today's culture you find a morbidly narcissistic society being fueled by a valueless media....

When you can tap into (as Coach Frost is able) the need for 'relationship' and 'life meaning'....you can help the athlete achieve much more than just W's....and in doing so help foster a better person...more stable and happier and all the while bringing out their very best performance ....

When this becomes systematic within your program… Great and lasting results will be produced.

Summarizing, its relationship first. Wins comes second and as a byproduct of the relationships.

Thanks again for your response.
Have a great day..and GBR!!

Last edited:

When you do everything the right way, wins happen. You don't even have to mention wins and losses. TO never did.

Immediate and abundant improvement won't take much time. We'll see that almost immediately.

There's a little bit of luck involved with championships, so that MIGHT take a little longer. But it might not. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back