• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it possible Moos gives Riley another year?

There is zero, absolutely zero, way Moos can "sell" keeping Riley. He might have been able to do it had the team gone on a run and won four in a row but not now. The fan base has effectively "turned the page" on Riley. If he's around next year I think there's absolute apathy for the season and a possibility that the sellout streak ends in September 2018. It's not just the W&L, it's that nobody, apparently including the players, believes in this entire staff anymore.

Secondly, unless Moos is as incompetent as FADSP, he's got a #2 candidate and not banked on Frost as the only candidate. If he's done that, we have another problem and we'll ultimately end up having to pay him to go away just like FADSP. Guys like Moos know how to conduct these searches without names appearing in the media so I'm quite certain he's got a #2 candidate, and probably a #3 candidate too, we just don't know who those guys are. Look at how Bounds and Green conducted the AD search. How many people even had Bill Moos in the top 5 potential candidates? They knew how to conduct their search in a low profile way and I'm certain Moos does too.

Last edited:

To the OP-

I have a better chance of hitting Powerball AND MegaMillions in the same week.
dating-lottery-national_lottery-lottery_hopefuls-proposals-engagements-jdo0581_low.jpg

One would gave to be the biggest idiots on the planet to do that. I thought NU got all the idiots out? Is Perlman being advised or something? I mean, damn. That would be dumber than dumb.

I see two references in this thread about players giving up on the coaches. I'd like to hear that from them and not fans who can apparently read minds...it could entirely be that they read or hear all of the stuff that the fans are saying and see the writing on the wall. Might be hard to get as motivated if you know the guy who brought you here and you want to play for is only around a few more games.

Also, if you read Moos's comments today, he all but said Riley's gone after the Iowa game. He didn't say he needed further time to evaluate. He said MR had the right to finish the 2017 season.
I know, I saw that too, but I get confused when after that he talks about how he's still doing evaluation (saying he's "on schedule" to form an analysis of the program, taking a hard look at it, etc). Given the atrocious loss on Saturday, saying you're "still evaluating" in so many words is the last thing the fanbase wants to hear. And Moos knows how to play to the fan base.

Fan sentiment changes really quickly, if the team actually comes out and plays really well in the next two games, fans will overreact to the positive side, and that is something you can actually take to the bank. Fans being myopic is a basic law of the universe.

And if you don't hold out at least some hope that two good games happen, what exactly is the point of being a fan?

Last edited:

I know, I saw that too, but I get confused when after that he talks about how he's still doing evaluation (saying he's "on schedule" to form an analysis of the program, taking a hard look at it, etc). Given the atrocious loss on Saturday, saying you're "still evaluating" in so many words is the last thing the fanbase wants to hear. And Moos knows how to play to the fan base.

Fan sentiment changes really quickly, if the team actually comes out and plays really well in the next two games, fans will overreact to the positive side, and that is something you can actually take to the bank. Fans being myopic is a basic law of the universe.

And if you don't hold out at least some hope that two good games happen, what exactly is the point of being a fan?

He said that the fan base deserves better than this and that Mike Riley deserves to finish the 2017 season. The meaning of that is loud and clear. Mike Riley is done and everybody, including Mike Riley, knows it.

Two games cannot and will not erase Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and oh yeah, NIU. Even if Nebraska were to win those two games, NU goes to a 3rd tier bowl that probably takes place before Christmas. The Holiday Bowl won't even want NU, especially given the fan apathy that's already been on display during home games. There's no chance the fan base travels well for this mess even if a miracle occurs and Nebraska makes a bowl.

I think you're completely wrong about the fans getting back behind Mike Riley should this team win 2 more games. How much talk is there about the PSU game even on this board? Almost none. I wouldn't be surprised if 90%+ of the sports radio talk in Nebraska right now is Scott Frost, Scott Frost and more Scott Frost. There is absolutely NO way Moos can keep Mike Riley around. None. Lastly, part of the reason Eichorst was fired is that he's tied to Riley. SE is probably capable of throwing Riley under the bus but if you want to change coaches, most of the time you have to fire the AD who hired the coach first. I don't care about the PR speak. Moos was not hired to keep Mike Riley.

Last edited:
I think Moos (as an outsider who, unlike SE and SP, has actually had a lot of success as an AD) could actually sell it. In fact with his "I've been at programs in worse shape and left them darn close to championships" stuff it's possible he was preemptively trying to do exactly that. He's come into places in worse shape (in his words) and retained coaches before.

As you say we'll know soon. The good news is I think Moos will make the right decision, and if he decides to keep Riley it will be because he really knows something or sees something important that is not apparent from the on-the-field results.

(EDIT -- and yeah those comments were in reference to this season, but he appears to care about continuity and not breaking things up...and the article talks about how he's on a "listening to concerns" tour which is the kind of thing you might do if you're about to do something that ticks people off.)
Those other programs had what type of winning traditions? Much easier to give a coach more rope if the program was never really successful for a long time. Yea we've hit a dry spell but there are plenty of people still around like me that remembers 40 years of GREAT football.

I really wanted MR to succeed and even thought he would at first. Now it looks like freaken joke after this season and the teams we lost to. Everything now seems to be going backwards in my judgement....

Lot of speculation by a lot of writers and other people that Riley is gone at the end of the season. Trouble is none of those writers or bloggers have a rock solid reputation of being right all the time. I am not saying I want MR to be retained but I am saying it is a possibility.

If you remember Moos said when he got here the other places he was at were in much worse shape when he got there than Nebraska is now. If you look closely at his history you will see that he gave the WSU coach one more year before he hired Leach. Even thou he said WSU was in much worse shape than us. He has also said he wants to be given five years before he is judged.

I think we need to consider the possibility that he tells Riley to hire some new coordinators and he will give him a couple of years to turn things around. I would rather see us go get Frost now while the getting is good but I do realize it is not necessarily a done deal.
His call!

He said that the fan base deserves better than this and that Mike Riley deserves to finish the 2017 season. The meaning of that is loud and clear. Mike Riley is done and everybody, including Mike Riley, knows it.

Two games cannot and will not erase Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and oh yeah, NIU. Even if Nebraska were to win those two games, NU goes to a 3rd tier bowl that probably takes place before Christmas. The Holiday Bowl won't even want NU, especially given the fan apathy that's already been on display during home games. There's no chance the fan base travels well for this mess even if a miracle occurs and Nebraska makes a bowl.

I think you're completely wrong about the fans getting back behind Mike Riley should this team win 2 more games. How much talk is there about the PSU game even on this board? Almost none. I wouldn't be surprised if 90%+ of the sports radio talk in Nebraska right now is Scott Frost, Scott Frost and more Scott Frost. There is absolutely NO way Moos can keep Mike Riley around. None.
Unfortunately we almost surely won't get to test the hypothesis, but if NU wins two in a row things will look very different.

I also think you and I have fundamental differences of opinion about how much a fan base should drive coaching decisions. Especially if the fan base has a distinguished history of agitating for unforced errors.

For me, in the rare event that the two wins come to pass I would just look at the Sagarin predictor rankings. If NU is in the top 40 (and there's a nonzero chance we would be at that point), I'd keep MR. Otherwise it'd be reasonable to make a change. IMO. I feel like I've mentioned this system of evaluation before, maybe once or twice.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back