• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it possible Moos gives Riley another year?

Given that Moos just said that he will not give in to pressure to fire Riley before season’s end, and that Riley deserves to finish coaching the 2017 season, I think there is a good chance that a decision has been officially made, not to extend MR’s tenure to 2018.
Yeah if he didn't tag on "and we'll evaluate at the end of the season" or something, I agree those comments are very suggestive that he won't be back.

Won't happen because there are too many $$$ at stake. It will be a huge, huge struggle to sell out season tickets and bring in all those required donations with Riley being retained. Look at the 2018 home schedule. Besides a nostalgia game with Colorado and what could be a meaningless game (if Riley's current trend continues) against Michigan State, the home schedule is brutally boring. Even though Riley may have gotten the short end of the stick when it came to how Eichorst ran the athletic department, the fan base will not financially support another Riley season at the level the NU athletic department needs it to.

Last edited:

Lot of speculation by a lot of writers and other people that Riley is gone at the end of the season. Trouble is none of those writers or bloggers have a rock solid reputation of being right all the time. I am not saying I want MR to be retained but I am saying it is a possibility.

If you remember Moos said when he got here the other places he was at were in much worse shape when he got there than Nebraska is now. If you look closely at his history you will see that he gave the WSU coach one more year before he hired Leach. Even thou he said WSU was in much worse shape than us. He has also said he wants to be given five years before he is judged.

I think we need to consider the possibility that he tells Riley to hire some new coordinators and he will give him a couple of years to turn things around. I would rather see us go get Frost now while the getting is good but I do realize it is not necessarily a done deal.
:Rolf:

Read more carefully. I didn't say internet rumors. I said listen to what Frost has said over the years, as well as those close to him.

What Frost has said over the years is certainly fodder for speculation, but hardly definitive on whether he will be the next head coach.

I still remember the last hire when we were all convinced of there being a “splash hire” coming. Despite people being convinced of it, it didn’t happen.

I will concede that the Frost inevitability seems very strong this time around and there are a lot of dots to connect together suggesting he will be hired. But I also know we have 11 days to the end of the season. Other than the two days that also have games scheduled, I think the time will go quickly.

I think Paul Simon was on point in “The Boxer”

“Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest.“

Last edited:

If my saying that it was a silly question offends you, then I think you might want to grow a bit thicker skin. It wasn't a put down. Just a silly question. Ya know, like my kids doing something silly and me telling them they were silly? Lighten up.

No, it's your disrespectful comments in just about every thread I've clicked on today. Have some tact.

Last edited:
I think it's possible. I honestly don't know how to evaluate the likelihood. But I do think Moos could come out and make a case that would get enough fans on board for one more year. Based on things like amount of returning experience you can make a decent case that Riley hasn't gotten a chance to really show what he can do. I'm not saying I'm making that case, but it could be made.

The good news is, Moos actually knows what he's doing. He's made good hire/retention decisions before. I don't think he's going to come in here and take direction from boosters or fans or journalists or conventional wisdom. He'll make a good decision based on his own experience and judgment. At least, he better. We're not paying him a mil a year to just do whatever the message board posters thought was a fun idea.

If he can make a case to give MR another year AND get fans on board, he should probably just run for president because he can convince anyone of anything. My 8 year old knows the score here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back