• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Iowa Hired A Baseball Coach. Sigh.

Thread was started by a guy who is highly critical of the program, period, and was enraged by the Erstad hire. Kept insisting they should have hired a college coach with a track record rather than an ex-major leaguer who doesn't know how to coach.

True :) We all can handle that. I, for one, was totally thrilled when it was announced Darin was coming home. :thumbsup: I still am!! :woohoo:

Last edited:

Thread was started by a guy who is highly critical of the program, period, and was enraged by the Erstad hire. Kept insisting they should have hired a college coach with a track record rather than an ex-major leaguer who doesn't know how to coach.

Well, I mean, I get that people may be mad at who we hired. But I just don't get how you can look at the results the last 3 years and be mad... Thanks for the info as I was confused where this was coming from...

Given that, I remember (hopefully don't misremember) the DVH years when we had decent hitting and fielding, but medocore pitching. Yes, we always seemed to have a great starter, but we lacked depth, not only in the rotation but in the bullpen; testament to that was NU's first presence in the CWS when NU went 2 and Q against superior competition. I was enormously proud of how far and how fast DVH had taken NU; but it was also a wake-up call to how much further NU had to go to truly compete at that level.

Erstad has apparently reversed the emphasis by building a solid pitching staff, perhaps at the (temporary) expense of offense. I suspect it's difficult to build a sustaining, consistent core of pitching and perhaps that is his primary objective for the near-term. Just speculating.

I'm still behind Erstad and will remain in his court until he proves us all wrong.

Rob Childress was Van Horn's pitching coach and, quite frankly, he regularly fielded one of the best staffs in the country while at NU.

Shane Komine, RD Spiehs, Jamie Rodrigue, Brian Duensing, Phil Shirek...some of the best pitchers in the program's history.

Virginia has been somewhat of a power for most of ten years, yes. About the same for Oregon State.

They both have significant advantages over Nebraska. One, the winter climates are not as harsh as Lincoln, Nebraska in either location. Two, they both play in traditional baseball powerhouse conferences. Nebraska's baseball program was in better shape as a part of the Big 12 than it ever could be in the Big Ten. Bottom line.

The other schools you've listed are occasional flash-in-the-pan programs. As I've mentioned, that happens sometimes with northern schools from non-power conferences. Maryland has had ONE NCAA Tournament appearance since 1971 (Nebraska has a better baseball program than Maryland -- so that one doesn't work). Kent State has several -- as they play in a weak conference, which they are typically the best. Yet, they have one CWS in their entire history -- and that was also the only time in the past 20 years they've made the Supers. Kent is not commonly top 25. Notre Dame reached the Supers (and CWS) one time in the past 20 years.

Nebraska will never advance to the Supers on a "regular basis" as a part of the Big Ten. Not saying they can't or won't occasionally -- but not on a regular basis. Even if/when NU wins the Big Ten, they simply won't -- most years -- be as battle-experienced as teams from the ACC, SEC, Pac-12, and Big 12.

We will have to agree to disagree. Erstad has shown no desire to back off highly competitive non conference games and the B1G continues to improve. We need to win the conference before we complain about not being appropriately "battle tested".

Well, I mean, I get that people may be mad at who we hired. But I just don't get how you can look at the results the last 3 years and be mad... Thanks for the info as I was confused where this was coming from...

My frustration comes from this team being unable to hit to save its life. The pitching was awful the first two years under Silva and that got rectified in a big way this year, but the offense cannot score to save its life against average to above average opposition. Being so close to back is excruciating.

Erstad needs to show that he can put it all together.

My frustration comes from this team being unable to hit to save its life. The pitching was awful the first two years under Silva and that got rectified in a big way this year, but the offense cannot score to save its life against average to above average opposition. Being so close to back is excruciating.

I hear ya... My deal is that we got destroyed by the draft the last couple years in terms of hitting with our high school phenoms (Harrison and Reetz just from last year, not to mention Pat Kelly). Erstad inherited some of the worst talent I had seen in a Husker uniform, and decided it was time to play small ball. He hired Kirby, who is regarded as one of the best hitting coaches in the nation, this year and hopefully we will see even better production there. I do think he stuck with small ball a little longer than he should but Kirby should help in the coming years. But we lose Kubat and Sinclair after this year so hopefully we don't take a step back there.

You can't be upset with a coach in baseball for having a bad year, one that isn't even done yet, after having 3 years improving each time...

I hear ya... My deal is that we got destroyed by the draft the last couple years in terms of hitting with our high school phenoms (Harrison and Reetz just from last year, not to mention Pat Kelly). Erstad inherited some of the worst talent I had seen in a Husker uniform, and decided it was time to play small ball. He hired Kirby, who is regarded as one of the best hitting coaches in the nation, this year and hopefully we will see even better production there. I do think he stuck with small ball a little longer than he should but Kirby should help in the coming years. But we lose Kubat and Sinclair after this year so hopefully we don't take a step back there.

You can't be upset with a coach in baseball for having a bad year, one that isn't even done yet, after having 3 years improving each time...

Curious, are you talking since Van Horn?

Of course that is a fair perspective. And losing Kelly was big. I appreciate that this staff has seemed to be able to recruit around the draft pretty well and hasn't used it as an excuse for their struggles like had become second nature for Anderson. That is what will bring this program back, but I also concede that great players don't always make great coaches.

I hope that they can put things together next year.

Get back with me in ten years. I'm 99% certain I'll still be here (I've already been here 15+ years, so why not another 10?). Will happily eat crow if Nebraska has become a regular in the Super Regionals over the next ten years -- which should equate to no less than five.

Last edited:
No team outside of the southern and western regions in the past 10 years has become a "regular" in the Super Regionals by those standards. In fact, no team outside of those regions has gone to more than two Super Regionals in that time. Even the venerable DVH cannot claim to have "regularly" put the last ten ball clubs he's fielded into Super Regionals. I'd be quite pleased with ~3 Super Regionals in a ten year period, as that would reflect success that no team outside of the South and West is experiencing.

No team outside of the southern and western regions in the past 10 years has become a "regular" in the Super Regionals by those standards. In fact, no team outside of those regions has gone to more than two Super Regionals in that time. Even the venerable DVH cannot claim to have "regularly" put the last ten ball clubs he's fielded into Super Regionals. I'd be quite pleased with ~3 Super Regionals in a ten year period, as that would reflect success that no team outside of the South and West is experiencing.

Exactly.

They've had three bad series: Maryland, tOSU and Iowa. I can forgive UNLV as the opening weekend on the road. I could accept a 1-2 split against UMD. Now is the time though that the teams that advance start to peak, the teams that will be done soon start to fade. You can see it. Their legs look tired. They make mental mistakes. The pitchers give in on long at bats and walk guys. The take the field lackadaisically. Their pitchers don't run fastballs into guys ribs after a homer or someone gets chirpy. They don't talk ********. They are too hesitant to clear the bench.

If those signs are present, the season's end is near. I don't watch baseball anymore as I've seen enough baseball to last two lifetimes, so I haven't seen any games and don't know if that's whats happening, but you can see it in the schedule as the momentum is starting to unravel. Teams with juice still don't give up at bats with runners in scoring position or with two outs. They don't get shut out late in the season. You didn't see that with DVH's teams, but DVH is an unreal college baseball coach.

College baseball success comes from two places:

1) Scheduling; No reason to be playing big name teams. Get freaking wins. No reason to be flying all over the country. In February and first week of March, they travelled to Las Vegas, Peoria, LA, and Houston. Save your team, don't wear them out. That's wearing on them now. Let's work Centennary in here, people. What good did losing to A & M do them? "Ah heck guys, we lost, but darn we played this really awesome team close....." No. The March schedule is more like it: N. Colo, FGCU, and Indiana State. I like those teams.

2) Recruiting. Omaha puts out solid D1 players like its a factory. The Jayhawk league is the 2nd best juco league in the country and steps away. Iowa Western and Indian Hills are right next door. Colorado is a gold mine of players with no legitimate D1 baseball in the state. Unlike football, DONU can get 75% of the roster without leaving 500 miles. A Friday night stopper, catalyst at the top and a bat in the middle should come from California, Texas or somewhere off the radar. I'm getting bats and speed first. Hit, hit, hit, hit. I'll find pitchers through transfers and jucos later; as long as I have a dude behind the plate that can control the running game and handle a staff, I don't need him to hit and the catcher can bring along mediocre pitching.

That's how I would build my team at UNL.....

I'm just talking the teams that Nebraska had in 2010 and 2011 were just not good at all, with whatever team you want to compare them to...

I'm not comparing any Husker teams, you said that he inherited some of the worst talent you had ever seen..your quote, not mine. My question was what you were basing it on? It seems that everybody thinks Husker baseball started with the Van Horn era and since we were good for those few years, that we should always be good. There are always going to be some down years, ask Baylor, Stanford or Wichita St fans (just to name a few) how they have been feeling lately. They are supposed to be those year in year out super regional teams, but even they have off years, it happens to all programs. I just wish we could all just enjoy the game and not be so critical.

Last edited:

No excuses for what just went down in Lincoln. This season is an epic fail for Erstad and nothing short of sweeping the conference tournament and a few games in a regional will change that.

The Huskers lose at least the following players (draft-eligible Juniors not included) from the roster this year:

• Cox, Christian OF L/L
  • Darby, Austin OF L/R
  • Headley, Blake INF L/R
  • Kubat, Kyle LHP R/L
  • Lubach, Tanner C R/R
  • Reveles, Steven INF R/R
  • Roeder, Josh RHP R/R
  • Sinclair, Chance RHP R/R

...that is our two best starters, record-holding closer, and five starters. It could get worse before it gets better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back