• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In the history of college football, has the fly sweep ever actually worked?

Mentally Red

Got Huskers on my mind
5 Year Member
It sure hasn’t at NU. Under Riley and now this year it has been a bust almost every time. Usually lucky to get back to line of scrimmage. Is this a talent issue, coaching issue, or is it just a fundamentally flawed play to begin with?

It sure hasn’t at NU. Under Riley and now this year it has been a bust almost every time. Usually lucky to get back to line of scrimmage. Is this a talent issue, coaching issue, or is it just a fundamentally flawed play to begin with?
All of the above.

The fly sweep is very effective if you set up other plays. It really loses a lot out of the shotgun. Google 'Fly Sweep Series AFCA'. There is also the Jet Sweep that is similar.

The series is akin to a triangle offense in basketball. You need several things to click and sleight of hand. We just don't run true read option, effective inside zone, or have a trap game to set it up. And to top it off, without suckering in DBs on the play-action we don't have an effective passing attack off of it.

It's as fun as the 1 receiver hail mary from the 5....aka "the fade".

That said the threat of jet sweep probably keeps the defense honest in some way.

It use to work pretty well for Kansas State 20 years ago. But, I agree with your point, no so much for NU. It’s just a decoy now that defenses have to account for. Helps the inside run game.

Worked well for a guy named Scott Frost at Oregon.

In the Kelly-Frost offenses, they ran a variety of sweeps that were essentially read options. Sometimes the WR would sweep over to get the ball (running parallel to LOS) and then cut 90 degrees and run up between the tackles like a typical RB inside handoff. Or sometimes, they'd run essentially a QB/RB draw and use the sweeping WR to serve as a blocker, not the ball carrier.

But you can't just have the WR run across the width of the field and hand them the ball. That's been our modus operandi and then we rely on the other WRs to set up blocking patterns. Defense sniffs it out nearly every time.

Apparently you either didn't watch the 2012 B1G Championship game, or else you've cordoned off that part of your brain and probably curl into the fetal position when it is mentioned because ... yeah, it worked ... a lot ... all day ... repeatedly.

If you haven't eaten anything lately that you'd be afraid to regurgitate, below is the link, ready to go from the beginning of the game, and it keeps happening ... again ... and again ... and again.

The Jet Sweep (which is what I call it) is very effective as long as you have four key pieces: a player who runs it who is extremely fast and can make people miss; an offensive line that can consistently hold the line; a RB who is a threat to hit the hole big if the defense over-shifts; a QB who can make the right reads, depending on what's called. In that 2012 game, that was literally all that Wisconsin had, but, man, did it work. Pellini clearly hadn't expected that approach because it hadn't been a big part of the WI offense before that game.

Again, watch the video only if you haven't eaten recently:

i remember Florida running it in the mid 90's as well.

i think it's used alot as a fake to move a LB out of the box or get the defensive players eyes moving away from where you want to run the ball.

Jet Sweep is an important play for a variety reasons.
  • Allows the ball to get outside quickly
  • Forces defenders upfield
  • Takes advantage of a loaded box
  • Requires defenders to tackle in space
  • Gets the ball in the hands of your best athletes
  • Keeps defenses honest with the use of Read or Play-Action
  • Makes defenses adjust/rotate quickly
Despite all those things, Jet Sweep can be tough to execute if defenses commit to stopping it. My team finally busted one last week after not getting more than 5 yards on it in all our previous games. The reason we keep running it, however, is that it can open up so many other options if you are willing to stay with it. We don't run it more than a couple times a game--unless it is working great--but the reason it typically doesn't work is because defenses adjust to stop it. The key for us is recognizing how they move when the see the motion coming and what that opens up for us in the run game or play-action.

It works if you are having some success running up the middle. Because then the D suckers in the stop it and the jet sweep becomes open to the outside. If u watch NU the last 4 or 5 yrs, our run game up the middle has been horrific most of the time. Hence no fly sweep success

It's as fun as the 1 receiver hail mary from the 5....aka "the fade". Don't even get me started on this play. Stupidest college football play ever called. I cringe every time we do it. Especially under Riley when we would do it three straight times from the 4 yard line only to end up kicking a field goal.

That said the threat of jet sweep probably keeps the defense honest in some way.

It's as fun as the 1 receiver hail mary from the 5....aka "the fade".

What's interesting many NFL teams use the jet sweep with good effectiveness. Pats run it at least a couple times a game. Last weekend the Jets used it to good effect and got some good yardage from it.

As usual good offenses know how to set it up properly and then execute it....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back