• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked In-state guys for the new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopefully 4-5 years from now, we will have a senior class loaded with Nebraska kids that play with heart and max effort

Not that i've seen, his speed is something people question tho I know that. But he gets up to his top speed pretty quick in my opinion.

Well if it's any consolation, while watching the Wisconsin-Iowa game yesterday they said Jonathan Taylor's speed was questioned in high school. So he decided to go out for track his junior year. It not only helped him improve his speed, but he went on to be the 2-time New Jersey state champ in the 100.

Well if it's any consolation, while watching the Wisconsin-Iowa game yesterday they said Jonathan Taylor's speed was questioned in high school. So he decided to go out for track his junior year. It not only helped him improve his speed, but he went on to be the 2-time New Jersey state champ in the 100.
Saw that, not sure Moses would end up running a 10.64 though lol

Good thread. The new staff must hold on to Jurgens and Mapieu. Jurgens will be a high-level multi-year starter. I don’t know what Mapieu will become, but his ceiling is tremendous. He’s raw but he’s also getting coached by one of the best coaches in the state.

I hope that kid from McCook is flipped as well.

I am speculating that. When Riley and staff came on, they got lucky with Daishon Neal and Michael Decker being in-state guys, the Davis twins having family connected to Nebraska, Eric Lee having family connected to Nebraska, then keeping Charlton Warren to keep Avery Anderson and Aaron Williams in the mix. You also hired Keith Williams to keep a guy like Stanley Morgan on board who almost committed to Tulane to play for KW. That's 8 guys they were able to keep due to circumstance.

Now you look at our 2018 class, we have two in-state guys like we did in 2015 in Jurgens and Mapieu, and I think we can hang on to them, especially if Frost is hired. You can possibly keep Will Farniok with his brother on the team and him being from South Dakota. After that, I don't see anyone that i'm optimistic would stay. I'm not saying we lose all 7 of the other guys committed, but I bet we lose a majority of them. Guys like Joshua Moore, Mario Goodrich, Tate Wildeman, Chase Williams, and Cameron Brown are all committed due to the coach and the relationship.

Speculation on my end, but I would only count on 3 or 4 guys still being with us with a coaching change. And from there it's tough to make up ground, especially if it's a guy from a non-Power 5 that didn't have recruits committed to him that would translate well to the B1G.

so i assume i should take an interest in volleyball for the next few years.

so i assume i should take an interest in volleyball for the next few years.
I wouldn't go that far, as we are really young so we have some experience coming back. Also in 2015, Riley was able to bring in Jalin Barnett and Dedrick Young, two highly ranked guys. You also might be able to bring some other recruits that were looking at whoever the coach is at his previous school. UCF has a couple highly ranked defenders committed, but their class isn't spectacular. Missouri still has their top 3 prospects uncommitted, we could flip the top ranked guy in Kansas as he's committed to North Carolina, Iowa's best player is uncommitted. There's a lot of ground to make up but it's possible to still pull out a top 35 class. We just are going to have low numbers for now.

Any chance we can keep our Missouri recruits?
I would think there's a decent chance. It's all speculation, and who knows who we keep from the current staff (if anyone). What if Keith Williams or Donte Williams is retained? What about Parrella? You would have to think that they could keep one or two of their current commits.

I would think there's a decent chance. It's all speculation, and who knows who we keep from the current staff (if anyone). What if Keith Williams or Donte Williams is retained? What about Parrella? You would have to think that they could keep one or two of their current commits.

Agreed. I think it would be almost an expectation that anyone from the current staff who stays on needs to be able to hold onto current commits and/or close on some others who have NU as a finalist.

Hopefully the guys who might reasonably expect to be offered a spot on the new staff - basically the three that *** mentioned - are having these conversations with the players they are recruiting so they can give the new coach an honest appraisal of where we stand with the recruits. That shouldn't be the sole consideration for who does / doesn't get retained, but it may be one thing that the new coach considers.

Well, this is one of the better threads I've had the pleasure of reading on here the past so many days or weeks, even if it just speculation. It would be nice if we show up the final two weeks of the season and whether or not we win, as long as we don't get that Minnesota style beat down, perhaps we can retain our top recruits that haven't bolted yet.

I wouldn't go that far, as we are really young so we have some experience coming back. Also in 2015, Riley was able to bring in Jalin Barnett and Dedrick Young, two highly ranked guys. You also might be able to bring some other recruits that were looking at whoever the coach is at his previous school. UCF has a couple highly ranked defenders committed, but their class isn't spectacular. Missouri still has their top 3 prospects uncommitted, we could flip the top ranked guy in Kansas as he's committed to North Carolina, Iowa's best player is uncommitted. There's a lot of ground to make up but it's possible to still pull out a top 35 class. We just are going to have low numbers for now.

Good as i really don't like volleyball that much. Thanks and the next 2 weeks is going to be painful.

I think everyone through Stai on that list should get an offer from the new staff, depending on qualifying of course. Last 2 guys should get preferred walk-on at minimum, but I wouldn't be upset if they were plan B guys who got a scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back