• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I'm sure it's already been said, but

I get it that we should expect a freshman QB in his 9th game at the college level to be perfect. The last time a true freshman started most of the season at QB for NU, he was perfect, right?

They always are. Should be Brady-esque right out of the shoot.

Seriously, if we plug Bunch or Vedral in at starter the last three weeks, were only winning the Bethune Cookman game.

I've watch NU repeatedly turn to exciting players expecting them to magically turn into winners. The difference between our winners and mediocre results was the raw number of mistakes on the field. We are at the part of our recovery phase where we need to remove mistakes from the offense. I have no qualms trading flash for reliability. The guy running the machine needs to be flawless to beat teams game to game in the B1G.
I'll take flash Martinez over no-flash Hornibrook any day of the week.

Yes, my post was meant to be pure silliness, just like the anointing of a 2-7 Husker player at any position as being the next Huskers great. Milton obviously was a couple starts away from being responsible for some of UCF losses his freshman year, the same as Martinez isn't blamed for Troy State. A dozen points would have drastically improved Milton's record, just was not truly undefeated in games he started and finished. But no doubt he did it with a crew that hadn't seen a win under the QB he superseded.

I'm more concerned with Martinez as a leader. A future winner usually pulls out a win early on in their career. So far all heartbreaking and no upsetting. Guys like Martinez are fun to watch, but I'm looking for game wins not moral victories. Jamal Lord blew away Crouch's records, and in the end "me-ball" sunk the team. Martinez is like Lord crushing the stats at the expense of game wins. Martinez is not the guy getting us to an undefeated season. Ohio State literally tried to feed him an upset situation, but he stubbornly refused to take the opportunity. The greats never seem to look gift horses in the mouth like that.
This post is a huge stretch to cover an error.

It might be a little early to deem he will win a Heismann, but with reasonable progress contending for it is solidly on the table.

Last edited:
Where is that funny video of people back peddling? Seems it would be appropriate for at least one of these comments.

I've watch NU repeatedly turn to exciting players expecting them to magically turn into winners. The difference between our winners and mediocre results was the raw number of mistakes on the field. We are at the part of our recovery phase where we need to remove mistakes from the offense. I have no qualms trading flash for reliability. The guy running the machine needs to be flawless to beat teams game to game in the B1G.

I would say the difference between the great ones and legends is the legends have better people surrounding them, which makes them look better.

Flawless is a high bar to set for a freshman, but you point is well taken.

I believe, without a doubt, AM is the best QB on the team. I think most would agree.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back