1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm struggling to think of a more selfish player than Palmer

Discussion in 'Men's Basketball' started by Fromunda Cheese, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Fromunda Cheese

Fromunda Cheese Scout Team 10 Year Member

When that dude gets the ball he ain't passing for nothing.

Reminds me of inner city playground ball Teen Spirit

huskermike and djlhuskerfan like this.
  2. djlhuskerfan

djlhuskerfan Junior Varsity 10 Year Member

I agree

Bman likes this.
  3. LarstheRed

LarstheRed Junior Varsity 5 Year Member

The thing is, he can pass, and his ability to drive creates some great angles and opportunities. If we were a better team, we’d have guys sliding into spots, moving with the play as soon as he moves toward the basket. Instead we have spectators who stand and watch.

4. NUFootballTim

NUFootballTim Scout Team 10 Year Member

ya the tricky thing about it is we don't know what James is coached to do in practice. i would have to assume that he's got an unlimited greenlight in practice. I don't have to know anything about James' to know that he clearly believes that the team wants him to shoot everytime he gets it. is that selfish? maybe. certainly it would be if Miles is asking him to pass and he's choosing not to. but either way, James can only do in a game what he's permitted to do. if he's permitted to step back jack, then whose fault is that?

LarstheRed likes this.
  5. Ackos

Ackos Heisman 15 Year Member

Who else is going to shoot? No one else can hit the broad side of a barn.

6. huskermike

huskermike Cyber Traveler 10 Year Member

Neither can Palmer.

7. Bman

Bman Recruit 2 Year Member

glynn watson 74 assists, james palmer 68 assists. top 2 assist guys on our team. id expect more from watson,since he is a point guard.

8. HuSkaBob

HuSkaBob Husker Geek 5 Year Member

I really think Miles told both of these guys that they are going to have to carry the team. I think Borchardt and Roby are doing a better job of carrying the team from their roles. So I'm not going to blame Palmer for his shots - if Miles thinks he's doing the wrong thing, he'll take him out of the game or lock him out of the Hendricks Center or something.

EDIT: Waiting for Thomas Allen to stop deferring to Watson and Palmer - I think his game is just as solid, but he's a better spot-up shooter.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    LarstheRed and Bman like this.
  9. djlhuskerfan

I agree Allen and Roby need to shoot more when they get open looks

huskermike likes this.
  10. LarstheRed

LarstheRed Junior Varsity 5 Year Member

Roby needs to catch and shoot, not catch, hesitate, ball fake, jab step, then try to slash past his guy. Instead of making his game about being the explosive guy who is first off the floor, he’s nullifying that by dribbling into a crowd.

djlhuskerfan likes this.
  11. djlhuskerfan

Yeah I agree! Seems that has been our philosophy forever to dribble into the lane and put up a horrible shot between 3 defenders. I don't know why teams foul Palmer, he is more apt to score from free throw line than going to the rim. It's never drive to draw defenders then kick out to open shooter. Do that a few times and the middle will open up.

huskermike and LarstheRed like this.
  12. Knight

Knight Red Shirt 15 Year Member

Forgetting Petteway apparently. Biggest ball hog in husker basketball history. Game killer unless he was totally on. Took everyone else out of the game. I didn't watch last night. But mostly Palmer hasn't been a ball hog at all. Maybe changing now, but maybe coached too.

13. NUinID

NUinID Scout Team 2 Year Member

I agree petteway was a much bigger ball hog.
    Palmer has just been off. He could probably pass a little more but not the worse.

14. HuSkaBob

HuSkaBob Husker Geek 5 Year Member

Palmer has played point for Nebraska, not like Petteway did to get the ball in the scorer's hands, but to start plays and get assists. I think it was 3 games ago that Palmer was having trouble shooting and changed his approach that game to distributing the ball and rebounding. I like Palmer, but he's in a tough place and his shot isn't falling. I like Copeland more. :(

15. W&R Husker

W&R Husker Recruit 2 Year Member

you have to put the ball in the basket to get an assist. that's a problem for us

huskermike, Bman and HuSkaBob like this.