• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we win six games this year

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
As Las Vegas is predicting, will Husker fans be upset?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas-sports-book-releases-024416553.html

Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel were talking about it on the radio today. Childers thought the 6 win mark was ridiculously low. Neuheisel thought it was low but noted that Lee was only a 50% passer at Tulane, that NU lost a lot of starters, and that we are breaking in a new defense. He also noted that the Las Vegas guys do their homework.

Childers said that if NU wins only 6 games, it would make the MR hire look bad after firing a coach that always won 9 games. Neuheisel said that the MR hire came out of left field, and a 6 win season would also look bad for the AD. I am not sure I agree with that. With new defense and a new QB this is like another transition year for MR. I am prepared to give MR another mulligan (but I do not think it will be necessary).

When Vegas puts the O/U at 6, they must be talking about the regular season. Who would be our 6 losses? OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Oregon, Iowa, and Northwestern?

If I were betting, I would bet the over. I believe Lee when he says he is 10X better and 10X more knowledgeable than he was at Tulane. I think Diaco and the new defensive scheme will be a step up. O-line should be better, and the RBs should be as good or better. WRs & TEs will be good. We should be able to play with OSU and PSU and should be capable of winning the other 10 games on the schedule. 8 wins minimum IMO.

Last edited:

6 wins this year isnt going to make reilys seat warm, he is going to join coach miles in the oven.

Record is meaningless this year. Unless they have a complete collapse Riley is going nowhere.

8 or 9 wins is about what we should expect.

Agree with the bolded. It would be silly not to give MR at least 2 more years after this one. But I honestly think NU is going to be one of the big surprise teams this year (maybe the biggest). Although they might earn strong consideration, I just hope SI does not put Tanner Lee or MR on their cover. That jinx seems to have legs.

Last edited:

6 wins? That's pretty bleak. But he survived that in Lincoln before. No, he's not getting fired. Not ever. He will retire at NU. Load up on that bet in Vegas.

I guess I understand what is driving the 6 win talk from around the country and in Vegas, but I sure don't get it.

I try to be objective when looking at Nebraska's opponents pretty much every team has some issues, which is what you see every year.

Saying Nebraska will win only 6 games is saying that any game that is close to a toss up is going into the loss column. I consider Oregon, NW, Iowa and Wisconsin at worst to be toss up games. Three of the 4 are at home. I just don't see Nebraska losing all those games.

Well then it holds true that Husker fans are happy only 1/2 the time

NU wins 6 games going away 20+ points. The other 4 wins will be relatively close, 7 and under

Last edited:
Incorrect. We don't push or hit the over on this bet and Riley as well as Eichorst is gone. Agree on the expectation tho.

I tend to agree. 5-7 likely means losses to Wiscy, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa...and a 5th place finish in the west. Worse yet, it could also mean losing to Purdue or Illinois for the second time in 3 seasons. That's a "train has left the tracks" scenario that isn't survivable.

I tend to agree. 5-7 likely means losses to Wiscy, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa...and a 5th place finish in the west. Worse yet, it could also mean losing to Purdue or Illinois for the second time in 3 seasons. That's a "train has left the tracks" scenario that isn't survivable.
Right... Osborne once stated he feared for his job if he was .500 or worse. If Riley doesn't get to 6 wins, that means he has 2 sub.500 seasons out of 3. We fired Callahan who had 2 out of 4 years, and Bo who was 9 wins every year. Our recruiting class would also fall apart if we failed to get to .500. The only saving grace would be for sure Eichorst being gone and the new AD wanting Riley to have a year for him to see for himself how things are going. Riley made the bed he is laying in for year 3, I happen to think it's an 8 or 9 win football team. 5-7 is pretty much unthinkable when you look at our schedule. As you pointed out, that means pretty much a fifth place finish in the west.

That being said, the goal is not to see who is right or wrong in this argument. There is a ton of positive momentum with the football program right now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back