• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we win a championship

"According to 2008 research from current Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll, NFL drives that included an explosive play resulted in points 75 percent of the time. Preventing the big play was the number one point on his defensive philosophy chart at USC."

With Tanner Lee NU should be able to produce explosive plays and with Diaco they may be able to prevent more of them. MR recognizes the value of both. This could be NU moving the right direction.

Turnovers are part of the equation as well. Teams are more likely to score after they get a turnover. The Diaco defense is geared to produce more turnovers than normal, but will the new air-raid offense be able to keep turnovers below normal?

The sack/fumble thing can be a real downer.

Last edited:

Even more striking in the article is how clear it makes it that passing more leads to much more scoring and big plays. The way we are recruiting outstanding QB's and receivers, our scoring will be taking a big uptick very soon. Things are looking great on both sides of the ball in Huskerland!
Calm down boy!

No doubt. He is the shining star on the entire staff.

"A", he's "a" shining star with Williams, Williams, Bray, Parrella, Langsdorf.....A couple of them will need to demonstrate they can coach as well as recruit, but I believe they are doing just that. And don't look now, there's a new safeties coach who can recruit a bit too!

But I like that you like Diaco. Underrated hire nationally IMO.

"A", he's "a" shining star with Williams, Williams, Bray, Parrella, Langsdorf.....A couple of them will need to demonstrate they can coach as well as recruit, but I believe they are doing just that. And don't look now, there's a new safeties coach who can recruit a bit too!

But I like that you like Diaco. Underrated hire nationally IMO.
I have to agree that this staff is far better than the one Riley originally hired. Only took him three years to figure it out!

I feel a championship coming around 2019.....

OK. Let me find my picture of their trophy for 3rd in the east. BRB

Now you have lost touch with reality.

Michigan - 10-3 ranked 11th in country in final coaches poll.

Nebraska 6-7 and unranked.

Michigan 10-3 and ranked 10th in the final coaches poll.

Nebraska 9-4 and unranked in the final coaches poll. Blowout losses to tOSU, Iowa and Tennessee.

Right now a Riley comparison to Harbaugh isn't close. But, keep lying to yourself if thats what it takes.

Last edited:
In context of the post I quoted it is apropos. I take it you are saying MR should not be improving his staff?

C
That's not what I'm saying at all but go ahead and jump to conclusions. A better question would be 'why did it take Riley nearly 3 years to get a competent coaching staff at NU'?

That's not what I'm saying at all but go ahead and jump to conclusions. A better question would be 'why did it take Riley nearly 3 years to get a competent coaching staff at NU'?

Just a theory on my part, but Riley mostly brought guys he knew well, to start his tenure at NU. I think Eichorst knew this was going to be a tough sell to the players when letting Bo go. Therefore, Riley knew it too. We all knew it. So you have to trust the staff you are bringing to be able to handle young people in a bad situation like this. It was a hornets nest! The culture was toxic. They needed maturity in the room.
I am sure MR was hopeful that guys like Banker could also get it done on the field. He didn't and MR has made changes as he has felt they were needed. As opportunities have opened up it is clear that he is going younger and with top notch recruiters. It's a process. He has seen the need for changes and made them. Seems like steady leadership to me. This was a 4-5 year fix for anyone coming in, IMO.
You can compare Riley to Harbaugh, sure. That's fair. Let's see if the quick fix Michigan went for is something that continues to grow and be sustained. Will Harbaugh wear out his welcome? IDK. He has a history of doing so.
I am hopeful for a steady and a more lasting rebuild of our program. The current NU staff appears to have figured out how to recruit to Lincoln. They are certainly willing to put in the work. I am hopeful that they eventually build the depth needed to contend. Can they coach to that level? We will see.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back